Find
Notify
Tools

Fingers crossed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I just submitted applications for several limited draw hunts. I've been doing it for years, sometimes in different states. This year my application for Mountain Goat went in with 10 points. That is the hunt I have wanted most and my fingers are crossed.

All I can say is, you never know. A few years ago, I applied for 1 of 15 rifle tags for New Mexico Ibex, a once in a lifetime tag most people apply for 20-30 years to get, and I was drawn on my first submission. I've never drawn anything else, not even does or Spring Black Bear.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on it. I drew a Spring Black Bear tag for next year in AK and put in for hard to draw Bull here in CO. Several more apps in as well on deer and a second choice for cow Elk locally. We will see soon enough.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm in for a bunch here in NM, including that ibex that I've been trying to get for years (over ten at least). Same with desert bighorns. Very few tags and many, many applicants.

Last year we (my immediate family and I) applied for 14 hunts and drew 1. I hope this year's odds are a bit better.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, and I hope you draw.

I drew an Oryx tag the first year I applied. We have been very lucky in the draws.

I am sitting on 18 points for Desert Sheep, in my home state of Utah. Very small chance to draw but there is always a chance.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The way Washington works each point is like a ticket in the draw. So 10 points is like having 10 lottery tickets thrown into the bucket.

I hope you get your sheep tag, Jason. You've been waiting too long.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am applying for antelope, deer and sheep back home in Wyoming.

Elk, deer, antelope, bear and sheep here in California

Nevada for elk, deer, sheep and antelope

Arizona for coues deer and sheep and antelope

Next year I'll be a little better prepared and do the New Mexico Ibex and Oryx thing. Spendy though!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
The way Washington works each point is like a ticket in the draw. So 10 points is like having 10 lottery tickets thrown into the bucket.

Not exactly. In WA, your points are squared, so 10 points is 100 tickets in the bucket.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of Luck to you.
Will find out for myself in a couple weeks.
Not much hope in a random draw...
but you got to try.
Took 30 years for a sheep tag.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Break a leg

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I had been applying here in Texas for several years for a Mule Deer tag on the Public Hunts TP&W does. This past Fall, Lora and I got drawn for a Dream Hunt for us.

You can not win if you don't apply. Best of Luck Grenadier, hope you get the tag.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
quote:

Not exactly. In WA, your points are squared, so 10 points is 100 tickets in the bucket.
Yup, forgot that detail. I'm finally getting to where I might have a decent chance for a goat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like I had 11 for elk, 8 for bear and 6 or such for muleys in a special area. Then I got sick for 3 years and lost 'em all. Not only that, they pulled my name from the mailing list too.

Oh well, don't look like I'll be getting out for a couple more years at best anyway.

Good luck to all of you on the draws.
Hope you'll share the news with us when you get chosen.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here. I put in for Colorado deer with 18 pts. Feel like I have a good chance unless the point creep gets me.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
9 more days! Im only in for N.M. archery elk. If not ill most likely head to a Colo. OTC unit for the same purpose.

The point creep situation makes me glad I didn't start building points years ago.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
What is point creep?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year the unit you wanted to hunt took X number of points to draw and you have finally reached X number yourself this year only to discover that this year that unit takes X+1 to draw.....point creep.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Me and a buddy in for CO area 35/36 deer 4th season with 18 points each. We should draw as it took 15 last year. Ready to burn points in other states as well.

Zinfandel and Backstraps!

Posts: 13 | Location: Mendocino County CA | Registered: 07 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. I am guessing, given the current system and history for the draw here in Utah, I probably have another 20-30 years (at best) in order to be in the "Max" point pool. However, I could be wrong.

Having said this, I could pull a tag before that and hopefully I will.

If I had to do it over again, I would have just went with mountain goat. I'd love to hunt one and could have drawn by now. Unfortunately, I wasn't consistent in my applications and the beginning of the points system. If I would have been, I would have already been on a sheep hunt!

Oh well, as Crazy says, you won't draw if you son't apply!!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

Thanks. I am guessing, given the current system and history for the draw here in Utah, I probably have another 20-30 years (at best) in order to be in the "Max" point pool. However, I could be wrong.

Having said this, I could pull a tag before that and hopefully I will.

If I had to do it over again, I would have just went with mountain goat. I'd love to hunt one and could have drawn by now. Unfortunately, I wasn't consistent in my applications and the beginning of the points system. If I would have been, I would have already been on a sheep hunt!

Oh well, as Crazy says, you won't draw if you son't apply!!

My home state of Wyoming did that to us. I also should have been doing this since the point programs began but have not.

I was initially in Wyoming for 3 or 4 years for sheep and moose and then was deployed and didn't have access to a computer so I didn't keep applying. I came home and was told I could apply the next year or I would lose my points but the cost is now $100 per point.

I should have figured out a way to stick with it, but didn't and now I don't have much for points.

That same Afghanistan trip tripped me up in Arizona and Utah as well. I'd probably have killed a few sheep by now if I would have been more involved.

Then again, Dad has max points for sheep and is too ill to hunt. So maybe for us points don't really work out.

I have $800 plus in this years draw (I won't get back) of hunting licenses and application fees. I have not got all of them in yet, so I am kind of dreading it. Maybe I'll draw. All I know is they have us by the balls. Unless you want to hunt in Texas or Africa you have to play the game.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote