Notify
Tools

DAMN "the feathered predator"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These photo's were forwarded to me by a friend
Amazing bunch of photo's.
Have seen them preying on the young of the year, including elk,deer,antelope and sheep, but not full grown critters. DAMN!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Unreal.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Very unique. Nature's way is definitely not for sissies.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the antelope is already in a bad way. Was that caused by the eagle or fighting or coyotes or what?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To many damn predators, I've been lucky or unlucky to witness this twice while work on a ranch here in central Wyoming. Two Golden Eagles killed a Buck antelope and by the end of the day with the help from a couple ravens there was nothing but hair and bones at the end of the day, the two eagles were so full of meat they couldn't fly away.

And while scouting for deer on the east side of the Wind Rivers I spotted a eagle bomb diving a female antelope that looked just like the pictures ravenr posted. I interferred and ran the eagle off and the antelope came and stood by my truck for about twenty minutes before she got her composure(sp) back and bolted off toward a large herd down a draw a couple hundred yards away.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw two Golden's feeding on an antelope carcass on my way through Wyoming last Thursday.

I have spoken to ranchers who have witnessed Eagles attacking antelope many times.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
We have a ton of Bald Eagles here, I see them scooping up fish from the Sacramento River and Shasta Lake but never have seen one get a large mammal.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of Bald Eagles here.They clean up the Road kill.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
We shot a few prairie dogs on Saturday and had a golden eagle visit us for lunch.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the past eagles were know for killing lambs on a regular basic.

They were hunted and shot on sight even hunted with air planes.

Now that they have made a huge come back they should be delisted and a hunting season applied.

Posts: 19372 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw that same scene once SW of Gillette.
Was driving along Highway 50 and saw what looked like an antelope running with a big black plastic bag hanging on. Binoculars showed just what your pictures do...

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Now that they have made a huge come back they should be delisted and a hunting season applied.

I disagree.
They are more common now than 20 years ago but they are not killing sheep and antelope by the scores.
To me its still a pleasing sight to see a Golden Eagle.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny how some people get all upset because an eagle kills an antelope, a coyote kills a deer, a wolf kills an elk, or a hyena kills a baby antelope but it is ok for an African lion to kill a buffalo, a leopard kill an Impala or a killer whale kill a seal. Wonder why the difference? If you can't handle seeing nature at work as it has been for eons, then stay home.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Many predators, including eagles, will eat their prey alive.

A bullet through the heart would be far preferable to that fate.

Amazing photographs.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this awesome post.

It is something to see the Indian Dhole (wild dog) pack hunting sambar or chital deer. They are more efficient thatn wolves - they case the deer into the middle of rivers and lakes and take bites off the haunches and belly while the deer is alive!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Elmer Kieth try and do his part to keep
golden eagles under control?

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 442 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golden eagles have relatively large home ranges esp during the nesting season. There are not enough of them in any one location to have a measureable affect on a big game population.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Large bunch of them winter here in Wyo. or at least congregate.
One time between Shoshoni and Casper I saw one on EVERY power pole for 22 power poles.
Seemed remarkable at the time.
And I've seen a half doz. working the antelope when they fawn.
Serious predator!!
I read where Elmer Keith whacked a pair that were too good at killing bighorn lambs, he counted legs at the base of the cliff and if my memory serves, came up with enough legs to represent 18 lambs.At the time it was legal to shoot eagles.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
I read the same EK story. Bears, Wolves and now raptors! Wyoming is starting to look like Jurassic Park!

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On two occasions, I have seen vultures pulling the eyes out of newborn livestock calves. The mother would then abandon the calf to the vultures. PETA would crap themselves if they saw that!

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
I worked on a cattle ranch in southwest Wyoming for a couple summers. One summer while working on a fence, I watched a golden eagle dive/hit and kill a neighbor's yearling lamb. About 10 minutes later, a larger eagle scared off the first one and then flew off with the entire carcass. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I would have never believed that they could carry that much weight. It was something right out of Jurassic Park.

I agree that the time has come to look at allowing people to shoot them.

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote