Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Black Bears Taken This Year
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
For kicks, I guide for Bear Basin Outfitters in the Hoback Canyon of Wyoming. This years season is off to a great start. Here are a couple photos of bears taken in the last week.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice bears, Scott, what do they average in weight? Are you stalking or are these baited?

~Ann

Posts: 19188 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta love that chocolate bear. Simply beautiful!! Congrats

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great looking bears!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
The bears were taken at both set baits and natural kills. We've seen at least 12 different bears and killed five. Hopefully success will continue once we start getting some deer and elk carcasses on the ground.

I don't know what they weigh as we are hunting out of a pack in camp and don't have scales, but I'd put the average at 325 pounds. Two maybe around 350 and two definetly smaller, one of which was blonde. There is still at least one blonde bear around that an archery hunter missed.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
SBT,

Nice bears!
Can a non resident still buy a bear tag?
I will be heading over to your neck of the woods in a couple weeks to hunt mulies.

Thanks,

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Don't know, I'll find out tomorrow and let you know. Where are you hunting?

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
KC,

Non-Resident bear licenses are available over the counter and cost $301. Bear season is open until each area reaches its set mortality rate for females. So, if you are interested in a bear, I'd suggest you wait until you arrive, check the mortality rate, then if it looks like it will be open for a while, buy a tag. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
SBT,

I am hunting Region H.
Thanks for the tip on the mortality rate.

Thanks,

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote