New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muela Knives..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this question in the knife forum, and didnt get a response, so bear with me [Wink]

Friend gave me a straight blade skinning knife, from a co. called Muela. Just curious about the quality of this thing, as it looks very nice.

Made in Spain, and has "Fury" on the blade.

Thanks..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Every (Spanish) Muela knife I saw was more flashy than quality oriented. Mass produced, their steel is basic 440 and prices are cheap.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Every Muela knife I saw was more flashy than quality oriented. Mass produced in Spain, their steel is basic 440 and prices are cheap. Most souvenir shops sell them.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
A friend has one of these knives. Neither one of us was impressed when we skinned a deer together. He had to sharpen several times, whereas my Puma was still sharp at the end of the job.

I don't recall what steel his blade was made from, nor do I know if all Muella knives use the same steel -- perhaps some models are better than the one he had.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses. I have not used it yet, so I cant comment on the quality of this thing.
I see some #'s on the blade..90073. Maybe a model number...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
most Muela knives are not fancy, state-of-the-art knives, but they do produce reasonable quality at a very affordable price, lets say for 1/3rd of the price of a puma.

even the hardest steels will eventually need resharpening. the harder the steel , the longer it will last, but the more difficult it will be to resharpen.

and yes, they are produced in large quantities, just like the bmw's.

look after you Muela knife and it will give you a life of service.

the world is more than just Rolls Royce, Swarovski, or Rolex.

regards,

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Montero

I'd sure agree on your comment about hard knife steels being hard to re-sharpen! When my Puma finally got dull, I had a hell of a time sharpening it until I got some diamond stones and a gizmo to hold the blade at a consistent angle for sharpening!

jpb

quote:
Originally posted by montero:
most Muela knives are not fancy, state-of-the-art knives, but they do produce reasonable quality at a very affordable price, lets say for 1/3rd of the price of a puma.

even the hardest steels will eventually need resharpening. the harder the steel , the longer it will last, but the more difficult it will be to resharpen.

and yes, they are produced in large quantities, just like the bmw's.

look after you Muela knife and it will give you a life of service.

the world is more than just Rolls Royce, Swarovski, or Rolex.

regards,

montero

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
In the November '03 issue of Texas Parks and Wildlife Magazine there is an article in the Field Test section about a small selection of hunting knives. The article is written by Gibbs Milliken and describes the attributes and costs of 9 different commonly available hunting blades. The Puma White Hunter and Hunter's Companion were highlighted and at $290 & $140 the most expensive in the article. There were also 3 Muela's, a Cazorla Crown Stag @$88.95, a Rebeco Stag @ $75.95, and Grizzly with resin impregnated rosewood @ $102.95. The other knives described were a Buck Vanguard, Aitor Skinner Aitor El Montero and Schrade Sharp Finger. The article also gave the phone number and web address for each of the companies. The Meula Rebeco peaked my interest and is about my usual price range so I'll have to look around Dallas to find one... but then I'm like Imelda Marcos is about shoes when it comes to belt knives!!! Ya'll check out the article.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muela makes different quality knives, both regarding blades and handles.

Some steels are better than others, but you can find a good knive in various forms.