Find
Notify
Tools

Austin, TX what to do?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
Unexpected opportunity just materialized, traveling on a biz trip in April on the 18-20th. Can leave earlier or stay later.

What should I do?
Looking to shoot something, I guess only turkey's or exotics will be available which is fine. What is close by 1-2 hrs drive time to accomplish this.

Need some good recomendatations.

Thanks,

M

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of places to hunt,just depends on how much $$$$$$ you want to spend. You will be in the heart of exotic country and that would be my suggestion. Searh the web,lots of info out there. Maybe try to book with Y.O Ranch $$$$ but worth it.

Posts: 39 | Location: Tuscola,Tx | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull up www.craigslist.com and go to Austin, TX then go to 'sports' and put in the search engine 'hunt' or 'exotic' or 'turkey'. You should get plenty of hits. Also, I think Ray Atkinson on this forum has some contacts down here. Have fun.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Have done that and as you say there are tons of hunts to do. Reason I asked here is for a personal recommendation. I have received several in the past and the hunts I went on turned out great.

Looking for a 1 or 2 day hunt.

M

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
You would likely be able to find some axis in hard antler at that time. Always sheep species available.

I work with a guy in the hill country who owns two ranches, he has plenty of Axis Deer.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on your age, you could stalk trophy Univ of Tx coeds......easy to find, but if you bag one, the trophy fees can add up in a hurry. Eeker

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,
jumping

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
YOU COULD GO DOWN ON 6TH STREET AND TIP HIPPIES. CAREFULL THE DUST CLOUD WHEN THEY HIT THE GROUND.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

Do they offer catch and release?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well you could rent a car and drive up to Seymour, Texas, a couple of hours, and I could book you on a hog hunt for $165 per day, you do your own cooking in the lodge..bring food..Its a good hunt, and the hogs have a lot of European in them and success is near a 100%..

If its in April you could do Turkey for $200 per day...

And you could fish in the lake for Crappie, lots of them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be a Blackbuck or Axis hunt. You can expect to pay $1,500-$2,500.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote