New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T-3's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from my annual winter/spring stay in Sweden. Coming back to the U.S., of course meens purchasing a new rifle. It's a tradition I can't resist.
Having many Swedish and Finnish Hunting friends, with MUCH rifle experiance helped me listen to the pro's and con's of availiable (low cost) rifles in Europe and elsewhere.
My desire, NOT some expensive custom-built or factory exclusive. I just wanted a "beater". A "truck rifle" if you may. I am so tired of "babying" a fine pre-64 of the like.
The Swede and Finn friends with a doubt suggested I purchase a Tikka T-3.
Shortly upon arrival to the U.S., I ran over to my favorite gun shop to have a look at this "wonderious" Tikka T-3 my Swedish and Finnish friends talked so proud of.
Looking at the rifle, brought a sense of doubt. IT looked rather "ugly" to say the least. A plastic trigger guard, magazine of Plastic? My Good Lord!!!
A price of less than 500 bucks and my extreame "jet-lag" brought about my BUY attitude.
I brought 'er home. A T-3 Stainless, 270 WSM. Put on a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 and took 'er to the range.
Federal 140 "Accubonds group less than 3/8s center to center 5 rounds!!!!! No FOOLING!!!
Did another load today. 130 Nosler ballistic tips over H-4350 and Remington brass....even better!!!!!
This Tikka T-3 rifle is the MOST ACCURATE rifle I have EVER owned in my 50+ years of shooting. I am simply amazed and pleased.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka (Sako) T3 chambered in 338 WM... accurate as desirable !

Enjoy yours, you have a nice weapon there thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have one also, 300win, T3 lite, LH. It shoots almost same hole cold but will open up some when the barrel heats up, I love it 7lbs with A VXII 3x9. It will make climbing the mountains a lot easier. I did put a Kick-EZZ pad on it and the recoil is less than my 270

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tikka T-3 is one of the best buys in a factory rifle. IMHO it equals many semi custom rigs. The scope rings aren't the best, but what the heck their free!

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I have two T3 Laminate Stainless 270WSM's. My buddy has 1 LS in 300WSM, a 22-250 in the Varmint Stainless and a 223 in the Tactical model....all great shooters. I personally do not like the synthetic stock on the Lite model and thats why I got the LS version.

I really love the Sako m75 in the SS models as I have a 300WM, 243 and either going to get a 338WM or buy a m75 Grey Wolf in 30-06 and rebarrel it to a 338-06.

As for scope rings, we dont get the free ones here in Canada, but I prefer the Sako/Tikka Optilocks Rings & Bases on my rifles.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Tikka needs to chamber the T-3 is .17 Rem. Fireball and .222 Remington.

Stainless steel with a laminated stock. Big Grin

They'd make very nice calling rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger MK11 stainless synthetic so tough and reliable, Tikka's............................well I just can't Wink

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Ruger MK11 stainless synthetic so tough and reliable, Tikka's............................well I just can't Wink

I have a Ruger M77MkII and a Tikka Whitetail M595. Both in 30-06 and both with synthetic stocks and set up for similar trigger pulls. The Tikka will regularly shoot groups at less than half the size of the Ruger. Sometimes much less than half! I can switch scopes and change ammo but apples to apples the Tikka just outperforms the Ruger. I even put a Hogue stock on the Ruger to free float the barrel but the Tikka still outperforms the Ruger.

I had to put a Timney trigger on the Ruger to make because the Ruger's was so far out of acceptable, but I was just...horse Right out of the box the Tikka trigger was every bit the equal of the Timney Trigger. thumb

Don't get me wrong I like the Rugers and just bought a M77MkII Ultralight in 257 Roberts. If Tikka made a 257 Roberts I would have been down at the local gunshop buying one of those.

Enjoy your MkII! I still have to figure out what I am going to do with mine in 30-06. bewildered

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say that my tikka t-3 lite in .243 win is a good rifle,To shoot or carry, but Studdog is right the scope rings are well ? It work's good for me in WY. And that's what I have it for.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tikka`s are really great rifles, my .308 shoots better than anything else I own. Im with Mort, maybe someone at Tikka will notice that more than one person wants one of their rifles in .257 Roberts. Smiler

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....I can! I have a T3 Lite in 300WSM and if I had money I'd have some more such as a 308W and a varmint model in 22/250 and yeah while I'm day dreaming maybe a 270WSM. My 300short will put four shots touching at 100yds.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I just shot my T3 yesterday, 300win,4 shots, all I shot, 1 1/2 in at 300 yds. I think for a production rifle that is very good and I am happy with it.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I value the opinions of many folks here. What do some of you who have sung praises of the T3 make of this article?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/critical_look_T3.htm

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't really judge if all assertions are fair, but it is certainly refreshing!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I read the article, and do not agree with his comments. My T3's shoot, function great. I never really looked at the checkering on my laminate T3's but overall appearance and performance is A+ in my books. Yeah, I do not care for the plastic clip, but it works and that would be my only issue, but its no big deal.

As to the author reffering to Tikka T3 owners as never owning a high end rifle and knowing quality, he can go %^&$!#^&%$#!*&@ as I'm concerned. Maybe he can afford to send $5000+ on a custom made rifle -I cant, but I bet my Sakos are of equal or better quality, and as good or better shooters. I have a few Sakos and love them, and yes the craftmanship is of higher end than the T3 especially in deluxe & custom models, but since Beretta USA bought out Sako & Tikka, Berretta has made its' own by in my opinion cheapening the quality somewhat. They needed to do this in order that the general NA public would buy their product and to be competitive with other manufacturers.

For example, the synthetic stock on the new Sako m85 is of no comparision to the m75 stocks. But price comparision to the lower end rifles, Tikka is there with the other manufacturers. If you want a low end Tikka (T3 Hunter or Lite, get it-and still be happy with a good rifle or buy the LS models or if thay doesnt make you happy and you have more $$, buy a Sako.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My T3 is a tool,it is SS with a synthetic stock. I hunt hard and take care of my guns but they get used a lot. Hell yes I can appreciate a beautiful firearm but can't afford to buy one just too look at. For a production rifle the T3 is a shooter and that is important to me, snob appeal, no it does not have any but it is a hunting machine and that is what I need.

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
I value the opinions of many folks here. What do some of you who have sung praises of the T3 make of this article?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/critical_look_T3.htm

Chuck's criticism of the on asthetics are mostly valid. It is not a beautiful rifle! The synth stock is a bit cobby but those who are buying a synth stock for all weather shooting are not necessarily looking for a beautiful gun. I will save my walnut stocked guns for acceptable weather days.

I am not a very good bench rest shooter but I am getting better groups than Chuck claims the rifle can do with hunting ammo. Yes I get a few flyers but I can usually call them before I see where they went.

Simply the Tikka Whitetail was my introduction to what a very good production rifle barrel can do!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I must say that I do no care for the T3 Lite SS model as it felt cheap and hollow (just like the new Sako 85 SS in my opinion) and therefore waited the additional year for the laminate stainless model to come out before I bought my 270WSM's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck can "blab" on all he wants about his negative interpretation of the Tikka T-3.
I just so tired of "babying" my fine pre-64's and custom FN's, and bought what I thought was going to be my "roll in the mud", "Toss in the pick-up bed", "Lend to a friend" general purpose huntin' rifle. I didn't expect much at all. I figured I'd just give the T-3 a try.
How surprised and delighted I am. Heck, I'm just going to put my '64's and F.N.'s away for my children to inherit and make the T-3 my primary huntin' rifle.
Now that I've shot it and handeled some and really looked at the "flimsy" looking stuff, don't find it bad at all. That "flimsy" looking magazine?? I bet it's a lot tougher that if it were made of steel. Yeah, I know replacement/spares run a shocking 70 bucks. I 'spose they would be more appealing if they were titanium,probably costing three hundred bucks or more. But heck, we're just talking about a "mudder" here.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, gents.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been planning on getting a SS rifle for wet weather, before I do another caribou hunt. I wanted one with a SS trigger group, and I understand that the sako/tikkas are the only common rifles with that feature. Remington, for example, uses a SS barrel and carbon steel trigger.

I wanted to try a savage, but after this thread will probably go with the Tikka.

Thanks.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have aT3 lite stainless in 338 win mag ,i have used it on several sambar deer,just great more accurate than i can shoot off hand,light to carry, rugged and looks good to boot.mind you i might be biased the 1st big game rifle i ever got was a tikka m65 in 300win mag,still got it to.

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just came back from ahunt in BC the guide had a t3 lite in 300winmag i shot it very accurate going to the shop and get one in338

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have three tikka rifles-7mm-08, .30-06, and .300 win mag. i think they have very manageable recoil for each caliber, compared to my savage .30-06 and winchester M70 .300 mag, they each sighted in with only three shots at 100 yards, better than anything else i own, including a weatherby mark V in .375 h&h, have never once given me any problems, and if they do not get 1" groups, that is my fault, not the guns. they have given me nothing but one shot kills (sheep, goats, deer, moose, bison) i am taking my .300 to namibia in august for leopard, giraffe, zebra, waterbuck. no snob appeal but a good solid performer in my opinion and well worth the money (i paid about $600 for each of them).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess nobody remembers the news last year, I think it was, about two Tikka barrels splitting right down the middle. Don't remember if anyone was killed, but I'll pass on a Tikka.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jetdrvr
you are a moron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
took a white tail and a cow elk with my 270 wsm T-3 lite last fall. The gun can out shoot me and will hold up to any type country I go into.

Posts: 35 | Location: Wyo | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess nobody remembers the news last year, I think it was, about two Tikka barrels splitting right down the middle. Don't remember if anyone was killed, but I'll pass on a Tikka.

I believe that was about 4 - 5 years ago. Sako received a bad batch of stainless steel and there was a recall on some of the stainless Sakos and Tikkas made during that time. Many of those rifles were still with the distributors when the problem was discovered. Those rifles were replaced and hopefully the notified owners of the guns that were sold have returned their rifles for the recall.

My Tikkas and Sakos are the most accurate rifles I own - except for my bench rest rifle.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoghunting:
quote:

I believe that was about 4 - 5 years ago. Sako received a bad batch of stainless steel and there was a recall on some of the stainless Sakos and Tikkas made during that time. Many of those rifles were still with the distributors when the problem was discovered. Those rifles were replaced and hopefully the notified owners of the guns that were sold have returned their rifles for the recall.

My Tikkas and Sakos are the most accurate rifles I own - except for my bench rest rifle.

I'll second that. A few of my Sako m75 rifles were earlier models (1997-2000) but my Tikka T3's were after. I waited the extra year(Sept. 2004) for the LS models and they did not have the steel problems. It was only a select few from that production run that were splitting or could split apart.

My Sako & Tikka rifles are superb shooters!
As to you avoiding Tikka & Sako rifles, its your loss JETDRVR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mort Canard:
quote:
Originally posted by PC:

I have a Ruger M77MkII and a Tikka Whitetail M595. Both in 30-06 and both with synthetic stocks and set up for similar trigger pulls. The Tikka will regularly shoot groups at less than half the size of the Ruger. Sometimes much less than half! I can switch scopes and change ammo but apples to apples the Tikka just outperforms the Ruger. I even put a Hogue stock on the Ruger to free float the barrel but the Tikka still outperforms the Ruger.

I had to put a Timney trigger on the Ruger to make because the Ruger's was so far out of acceptable, but I was just...horse Right out of the box the Tikka trigger was every bit the equal of the Timney Trigger. thumb

Don't get me wrong I like the Rugers and just bought a M77MkII Ultralight in 257 Roberts. If Tikka made a 257 Roberts I would have been down at the local gunshop buying one of those.

Enjoy your MkII! I still have to figure out what I am going to do with mine in 30-06. bewildered

Still can't go a tikka Mort.............I just prefer a CRF action for my hunting guns, can handle a push feed for a varminter, and I prefer a Rem 700 over a Tikka, in fact I would take a Howa over a Tikka, now an older Tikka thats a different story. And a cz in front of a Ruger, but they don't make a stainless gun.

For me personally a Ruger comes up better, they fit me well, and yes I have had got rid of Two Rugers a .222 and 30/06 both with boat paddle stocks. The Ruger I won now is a laminate stainless .338 win mag and it puts three 225 gr woodleigh protected points in an inch at 100 yards, and it has my beloved crf action and my .338 has a steel floor plate....................I think I got lucky as many Rugers are aluminium

The Tikka T3 has to much plastic for my liking.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a t3 in 30-06, sako 75 in 338wm and a sako safari in 375 all very fine rifles that shoot 1 ragged holes at 100 yards.

I am also v. fortunate to own some v. fine rifles as well, but still like the T3s.

Posts: 2539 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take Hawkes with a grain of salt! He said Tikka owners are too ignorant to appreciate a quality rifle. I traded a Weatherby MarkV for my T3 Lite and would not trade back. I guess if you teach a jackass to talk he's liable to say anything. This rant of his kind of makes me wonder what Beretta/Tikka did to get on his shit list.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hmm, so Chick Hawke hates the Tikka, look har enough and you will find a man that hates sex. Truthfully the Tikka is a good inexpensive rifle. In my neck of the woods, I can usually find them for $100-$200 less than a CDL Remington. I have one tikka in .243 which is a buttery smooth action and a trigger I don't have to dump $60 into right away just to get it to shoot.

Almost every tikka I have seen has shot the advertised 1" with good ammo. I had gotten rid of a Win 70 that wouldn't print less than 3" at 100 yards, cursed it, spat on it, got rid of it.

In the end, I am not sure why anyone buying a $500 rifle would expect the quality of a $2000 rifle, perhaps Mr Hawke doesn't give the average american shooter any credit in figuring that one out. Personally, I still like the M75 Sako SS (I am biased as I have two, one in -06 and one in 375 H&H) and I would not ever confuse one with a Tika. I would still pick the Tikka over a Stevens or a rem 770, but woud give a nod to the Rem 700 in fit and finish.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the problem i have with the T3 is similar to the problem I have with the Springfield XD pistol. that is both were broght into the US at a much cheaper price that made them a great value then the price was nearly doubled for no reason.
the first T3 i ever saw was a 243 lightweight (T3 lite, I think) and sold for $389. in the same vein the HS2000 (aka Springfield XD) was brought in from croatia by a S.FL importer and sold for $269.
then those were fantastic price but now w/ the XD at almost $500 and the T3 in the same $500-$550 range i'd as soon buy a Steyr or a glock.

Furthermore, let me Say of Chuck Hawks...
#1 he is not an elitist who can own $5000 rifles. his favorite gun, as i remember used to be a tang saftey Ruger RSI in 308.
#2 he hasnt said anything is that article that wasnt supported by fact.
#3 he has a strong support and like it or not ISNT on the tit of petersons publications.

he (Beretta's Marketing Manager) wrote: "How comfortable do you think I will be sending you additional consignment guns for testing if this (article) is an acceptable practice? Working with the media is a two way street, is it not?"
That "two way street" has, in reality, become a one way street and the prime directive of most of the shooting press is never to offend a major advertiser.
The "good" publications, bought and paid for by their advertisers, are rewarded with inside information and the latest products to review, while any publication that dares criticize even a single offering from a major advertiser is shunned.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ran into a buddy here in my small hamlet today who has a Tikka in 22-250. He was telling me that he finally got the right load. He said he shot two groups of three shots at 100 yards with all three shots overlapping! Not too shabby.
He's done no tuning to the rifle at all. That's out of the box accuracy.

Don

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Peace:

I'll second that. A few of my Sako m75 rifles were earlier models (1997-2000) but my Tikka T3's were after. I waited the extra year(Sept. 2004) for the LS models and they did not have the steel problems. It was only a select few from that production run that were splitting or could split apart.

My Sako & Tikka rifles are superb shooters!
As to you avoiding Tikka & Sako rifles, its your loss JETDRVR.

Hey Mighty Peace, have you shot the Sako Model 85?

Posts: 2 | Location: Quesnel, BC | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With Quote