New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Tips. Got Any?
 Login/Join

<Savage 99>
posted
Perhaps you have some tip that would help us learn more about hunting.

Here is mine. Whitetail deer will stop running or walking, most of the time, when I shout "Maw". This makes it much easier to identify or shoot the animal.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
Perhaps you have some tip that would help us learn more about hunting.

When you shoot at an antelope and you are not sure if you hit it, if it peals off from the herd & goes by itself, it is definitely wounded.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someday I will publish a compilation of all my hunting techniques. By reading and avoiding these techniques one should be able to enjoy improved success in the field. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I've already got a big grin [Big Grin] on my face in anticipation!

I might be able to help out with a couple chapters [Wink] ....

Best regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is use a standard calibre and/or have plenty of extra ammo. I always leave extra ammo in my Bronco.

I was hunting in Brockway many years ago and two boxes of 06 were left at home (100 miles). The local bar/c-store did not have any 06 left!!! I had to drive to Circle to get a box.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When moose hunting in the rut,I always keep grunting after the shot especially with the bow.Most times it will keep the moose quite close until it dies.That way I dont have to blood track.Sometimes I will keep grunting while backing closer to the road and the moose will follow until it collapses.

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SLOW DOWN!!!

LOOK HARDER.

BE AWARE OF THE NOISE YOU MAKE.

I was stalking with a friend looking for roe deer in some thick stuff. We had both make some very good "spots" of the little deer, thourgh tiny opening in the folige.
We were nearly back to back, moving very slowly, when I was covering my right/rear side, I felt my partner stop.

By the time I had turn to look the biggest buck I have ever seen was up and ready to bound away.

Had I been looking in the right direction, I would have been able to shoot him before he bounded away.

We were doing everything right, I just had bad luck...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage,

Never overhunt a stand location. The deer will pattern you in a hurry.
I hunt my best stands no more than twice a week. Sometimes thats even to much.
Good luck!!!

Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Move slowly and talk in low tones and most deer will not spook, but they will move away slowly as well possibly giving you the shot. I have actually talked in low tones and had the deer look at me and keep on doing what it was doing within 20 yards. It caused it to stop, that is when you can bring the gun up SLOWLY and not spook it. A lot of the hunting I do is where I am in the open and the deer have a clear view of me. If it is not late season when they have been shot at a lot, they will not be too concerned until you get within their normal predator striking distance, as long as you do it slowly.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
1) look in the cottonwood-lined river and creek bottoms and alfalfa fields nearby. stalk along the edges of these fields or around areas of brush and timber.

2) when stalking/still hunting, pause for a few seconds every 50 yards or so. if a whitetail is laying there watching you, this might make it nervous enough to move around.

3) scent (or lack of it) is important, but nowhere near as critical as noise and sudden movement for scaring off game.

4) most whitetails are shot within 200 yards; use a low-recoil, medium-caliber rifle (.264-.308) which will be lighter to carry, have less recoil and allow for better shot placement.

5) since dawn and dusk are prime times to hunt whitetails, use a bright, larger-objective scope and possibly even an illuminated reticle.

(*bonus) take a kid, teach a kid, and preserve a true sport for the future.

-

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Wherever you are, whatever/however you're hunting, have a safe season.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Be tenacious.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Animals live out in those conditions so dress properly and go out on some of those days that keep the rest of us inside where it is warm and dry.

Really snowy weather seems to put deer down for the day or so that it is snowing here (TN), but they sure come out when the weather breaks and that camo of theirs disappears with snow in the woods.

You will have opportunities to harvest animals that we will MISS! [Big Grin]

LouisB

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote