New
Find
Notify
Tools

.250 Savage--Any experience?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I may have a chance to purchase a very nice Ruger 77 in .250 Savage.

Most my larger-game hunting consists of northeastern whitetail (often in areas where black bear are targets of opportunity) and Texas hogs and javelina. I've heard a lot of good things about the cartridge on whitetail, and if anything it's overkill on javelina, but I'm curious about other folks' real-world experience with it on other species of game.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used one a bit with good 100gr bullets it is great for taking deer sized critters. With the lighter stuff varmit are hurting. The ruger 77 in 250 sav is a nice gun.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 250 is a great little caliber. It will do just fine on deer and the hogs. When it comes to the bear, it could boil down to whom eats whom, not to say you can't kill bear with a 250, just a tad bit light for me.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I too would love to own a 250 Savage and I recommend that you go for it. Should give you many years of enjoyment. Great for practicing your rifle skills without pain as well. And you can use it to introduce novice shooters to the sport, always a good idea.

One note though, something I think I picked up from a recent Nickudu-posted article: It said that one shouldn't go hunting with a cartridge/rifle that can't reliably handle the biggest /meanest critter in the neighborhood. I guess that has to do with staying on top of the foodchain.

I'm not familiar enough with the Northeast or the 250's abilities to determine whether you're still on top or not. I just wanted to bring up that point, seems like a smart consideration.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Black bear is where I get concerned, too. I've got no doubt that the typical 200-pound animals would go down about as quickly as a whitetail--however, those are the ones I might very well pass up, since I'm looking for one better-than-average bear for the trophy room. I'd hate to be in a position where I come a cross a good bear in the deer woods, then pass up the shot because I feel undergunned.

Anyone else's experiences would be welcome.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Classic in 250 Savage. I've only used it to kill two deer, mainly because I use a different rifle every year and there are a lot I choose from. I have no complaints with it's performance. I've used 100 grain Hornady and 100 Ballistic tips. Both worked well.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the 100 gr bullets for deer, and the 120's for bears and you won't have any problem. A controlled expansion 100 gr bullet would be even better. The 250 savage is a great little cartridge (and the Ackley version is better yet).. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own any quarter-bores, but I've always had the urge to get a 250 Savage. It's the only 25 caliber that interests me. I had a chance to buy a Ruger M77 Ultralight years ago in a 250 Savage. I waited a day too long & someone else got it...

Somebody I'll get a little 250 Savage. The M700 Classic would be a great platform, or the M77.

If you've found a good deal on that Ruger, I'd grab it.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A custom Mexican Mauser chambered in 250-3000, or better yet a Kurz Mauser, is about the niftiest Mauser there is.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I have a 250 in a custom contender that I have ussed on deer and varmits and like it very well. I also have a mexican mauser in 250 improved and it is one of my favorites to shoot. I am more often over-gunned when hunting with the 35 Whelen improved for deer, and it is not uncommon to take a few gophers and crows with my 375H&H. A 120gr nosler partition would very likely take a larger than average bear, but if I was hunting and bear was on my mind, I would not take my 250. I would still get the gun because it is really a great and historic round. It is a great deer and varmit combo that is more versital than the 243 because it can handle heaver than 100gr bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I picked up a Savage 99A in 250-3000 for a great price a couple of years ago. It's a fantastic rifle, and I wouldn't hesitate to go after a black bear with a quality 100 or preferably 120 gr. projectile.

I think it would be a great cartridge for youth or women as well.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote