Find
Notify
Tools

NM area 16, Gila Wilderness Muleys
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Maybe I'm listening to the wrong "experts". I have heard twice recently that I will have little chance to connect with a muley in this area, especially since it'll be 3rd season, Nov 11-15. I've never set foot in it thus far, and it's waaaay too far for a scouting trip, 2 day drive each way.

I'm in it for the experience, and will be on foot the whole time, but I would like to at least see animals and have a reasonable chance to take one. Especially with current gas prices and out of state license fees I don't want to walk out at the end of the hunt cussing 'cause I never even saw sign that deer were about... It is a lot of money for a trip like this for a guy in my current situation. I have to really pick my hunts...and I am wondering of I picked poorly with this one!

Anyone hunted this area? Recently? What are the prospects for this fall?

Thanks in advance!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I hunted the Gila. We did see a couple of decent bucks while hunting elk. Although it sounds like you want to do a do it yourself hunt you might try contacting some outfitters and see if they will guide you in the right direction. I doubt they will give you their secret hotspots but it's worth a call. Here is one who operates and is very familiar with the area.

http://www.garywebbguide.com/

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
How much Mule Deer hunting experience do you have? It usually takes a lot of scanning with optics and then a stalk to get a Mulie--nothing like WT hunting. You want to walk in at least one ridge in from any road as most people are "road hunters" here and won't walk very far. Once you're one ridge off the road sit and glass until you can't stand it anymore and then glass some more. You should see deer--mostly immature bucks and does but you may get lucky.

Unit 16 is not a hot area for deer but it does hold some of the very best Elk hunting in the state. Because of over-hunting the best chances for large mature bucks is private land where the pressures are usually not as heavy. The public areas of this state are all over-hunted. Although the NMG&F went to draw system for deer two years ago they didn't reduce the number of licenses at all. Expect crouds wherever you go on public land, especially during the rifle hunts. Wish I had better new for you but...

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much Mule Deer hunting experience do you have?

Zero...that's the main attraction! I've spent a little time in the mountains hiking and camping, so I have some idea what that will entail, but this will be a first time hunt for me. I really want to do it, but not to the point of wasting a week of vacation and $1000+ to drive out and never see anything! Smiler I can hike and camp anytime if I just want the exercise and view...and have $$$ left for a new rifle afterwards!

I'm 35 and in good shape, so hiking a hour or more from the road is no problem...actually quite desired from my view. I rifle hunt to get away from people...if I want social hour (crowded hunt conditions) I'll go dove hunting!

Thanks for the info... thumb

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
There are deer there, but unless you know the area well, needle in a hay stack! Good luck and enjoy the elk, scenery, etc.

Good Shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunting1:
There are deer there, but unless you know the area well, needle in a hay stack! Good luck and enjoy the elk, scenery, etc.

Agreed. I was there during deer season last year and din't see a single live deer(we were running dogs though). I did see LOTS of deer hunters though. Some people did connect as I saw a couple respectable bucks hanging. I would have to agree that it is over hunted and you will have to be very lucky to get a good buck without being guided on private land.

It is some beautiful country though.

Good Luck

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't let them get you down. There are deer in the wilderness but you have to get deep into it and glass. Do you have a topo or gila forest map yet? If you do I'll try to tell you of a couple of places that usually have bucks.

Posts: 21 | Location: NM | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys!

Barny, no I don't have my maps yet. A good topo map is high on my list of requirements though. Any hints are gratefully taken! If you don't want to post them far and wide, you can email to:

cdhcmh (at) gmail (dot) com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH, First of all, the later your hunt, the better. Also, I would contact the conservation officer thats out of apache creek and he should be able to give you a few pointers. Remember, good glass, get high(you know what I mean)and glass, glass, glass!!...........good luck...wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote