Find
Notify
Tools

Elk hunting in New Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Guys,

I have never been elk hunting before, and I have never even thought about until last week. One of the engineers that I work for has offered a hunt in Unit 36 of New Mexico. His parents own 4650 acres along Highway 70. Their property borders the northern edge of the Mescalero Indian Reservation. According to the engineer, he will be able to get the tags from his parents for free. He invited me to go with him and my boss. I don't know all the particulars yet, but I know it will be a hunt next winter.

So, of course, I am excited about this. Here are my questions.

Has anyone ever hunted that unit before?

The only rifle I have is a Pre-64 Win. M70 Westener in 264 Win. Mag. Is this rifle enough? I have heard people bash this caliber, and I have heard people say it is great. I reload for it, so here is another question. It shoots the 140g Hornady Interlock under a half an inch at 100 yards. Is this a bullet capable of taking an elk? If not, why?

Can you guy help me out with anything wlse I might be missing?

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great spot to hunt. I've seen plenty of elk there and if you look up the Mescalero Apache site they charge $25k and guarantee a 350 elk minimum. I don't think the elk know where the boundary line is so some monsters are wandering around the edges. The 264 is fine, some will say otherwise but a friends wife kills elk with a 270 every time she goes out with a tag. Practice out to about 300 with field rest positions. Most shots are closer but occasionally you'll get a long one.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the hunt of a lifetime. And if you're going to go on one of those, why take a gun that "should" get the job done "if" you do your part.

Many people have killed lots of deer with 270's and smaller. But why push the limit on a hunt like this? Find something 30 cal or above. The minimum I would tell someone to use hunting western elk is a 7mm. I would tell them to start with a .300 Mag of some sort.

But that's my .02

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys thanks for all the responces.

As for bullet selection, I am planning on using Partitions or perhaps some Barnes X bullets. I just hope they will shoot as well as the Hornady's.

The current scope that I have on my rifle is an older Redfield 10x target scope. But that is just for fun. The scope that is usely on it is a Leupold VX-II 2-7X. Which is what will be on it for the hunt of a lifetime.

One question, what is the difference between a 7mm Rem Mag and a 264 Win Mag?

Answer, the 7mm Rem Mag was developed by necking "UP" the 264 Win Mag. By coincidence, I make all my 264 brass from 7mm Rem Mag. Go figure! 264 versus 284, that a .02" difference. I hardly doubt an elk or a deer will know the difference.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote