THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Two potential new KY Elk Records - AGAIN!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two potential new KY Elk Records - AGAIN!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Neither of these is quite as large as the one Canuck shared with us, but were takers. Wink
---

When the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife expanded the number of Elk Permits to 200 this year from 100 last year, it resulted in both Typical and Non-Typical Elk Records being broken – AGAIN! Firearms Season ended 13Oct06, during which time these two Elk were killed.

Of course there is a 60-day drying for the Antlers, but it looks like they exceed the old records enough that these will re-set the Kentucky Elk Records.

First off is a field dressed 725 pound Typical 7x7 Elk killed by Franklin Scott which green scored 362 5/8.
Current record is(was) 319 6/8 killed by Paul Cummins last year.

The Non-Typical 7x8 Elk was killed by Andrew Kidd with a green score of 344, no weight given. Current record is(was) 320 2/8 killed by Mathew Hall last year.

For some unknown reason, Kentucky does not recognize separate Archery Records. (Obviously the person(s) that decided that has never tried to throw a stick at Game.) Mike Duncan killed a green scored 315 Bull on opening day. It is a good bit larger than the 288 Bull killed by Craig Wheeler back in 2002, so it does appear to be a new Record. The Archery/Cross Bow Season runs on through 15Jan07 in the At-Large Zones, so Mike Duncan’s Record may or may not survive to next year.
---

Application Deadline is normally the last day of July and is $10. It is a Random Drawing, so you have as good of a chance as anyone else that applies, no accrued points to get you a higher selection opportunity. The folks who are drawn will be announced by mid August. If drawn, you will be required to buy an Elk Tag. $25 for resident Hunters and $300 for non-residents.

Hunters are also randomly selected for a Bull or Cow Tag, and randomly selected for limited-entry and at-large zones, again No Preference. Herd estimate for this year was 5,700 which they believe is the largest Herd East of the Mississippi.

You can get an Application wherever Licenses are sold, by phone at (877) 598-2401, or on-line at www.fw.ky.gov And more general information is available there as well.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills to all of you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Man,i was hoping to be drawn for a tag this year..but i knew it would be a long shot. The Elk in KY keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger.... Big Grin

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Josh, Same here. Don't know if I could have gone if I had been drawn, but the $10 goes to help the Herd, so it isn't wasted.

Sure looks like a HUGE bargain for anyone living in the Southeastern USA to me.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote