THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    win. 94 trapper 30/30 accuracy at 100yds.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

win. 94 trapper 30/30 accuracy at 100yds.
 Login/Join

<thecrafter>
posted
anyone got any experience with a win 94 trapper in 30-30 with a small scope(up to 7 power) and the accuracy i can excpect at 100yds. if i'm a excellent shot(which i am)...all info appreciated...thanks, t

one of us
posted Hide Post
They seem to shoot better than the 20" barreled guns...I have seen a lot of them that shot and inch with irons...Must be that short stubby barrel....

I have one that shoots 1" 3 shot groups everytime..Craig Boddington writes of his shooting very well and I know several guys who claim they have one that shoots under 2"....

Most of the longer barreled guns won't do this..Most shoot 2.5 or a bit more.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Fun to speculate if there is an IDEAL barrel length for a given caliber. Would be hard to prove, but, if you figure a barrel vibrates at a different frequency for each length, it becomes possible.
As to groups, once you are used to a '94, the groups get smaller. I have shot 1" fairly often with my standard '94 Winchester. Even pulled off a .75" once.
As Ray said, the usual is 2".

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine will easily shoot an inch with iron sights. I'll never put a scope on it, but I would assume that you could do a bit better with a 7X scope. I really like this little lever gun.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've got a 94 Trapper that sometimes wears a Weaver K2.5 scope. With and without the scope I have shot 1 to 1.5" groups at 100 yards with it many times with various brands of factory ammo. I have never tried a group with it at 200yds but it'll ring a 6" gong over and over again, which is far more than I ever expected of it.

I've always liked that little gun. Although I hardly ever use it these days, I don't think I could ever part with it.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2-7 trashco on my 30/30 and I get 2 to 3" groups at 100 yards. The first two are under 1.5" and the thirs usually blows it out a little.

I much prefer Marlin levers to the win 94's.

I have been debating trading it in on the .375 H&H I have wanted for a while, and getting my 30/06 to assume the 30/30's role. But If I am going to get bugger all for it I suppose it would be wiser to keep it. Never know when a mate might need to lend a gun, or it would make a good rifle for when I get a motor bike to chase stuff on.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<buc>
posted
i have a trapper with a williams peep amd a marbles ivory front site. shoots very well for intended range ,also very compact and fast to get on target scope realy not needed i cannot use open site anymore but peep site ok. buc

one of us
posted Hide Post
My trapper is a little ruff but I had mounted a scout scope and at a 100 will give me 3" groups right now,haven't taken the time to fiddle with loads yet,its become my truck gun and gets bounced around alot.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Trapper that was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever had. If you put a target in front of it, it hit the darn thing right where the cross hairs so indicated. I wish my model 94 in .356 was as accurate.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote