New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have taken a new job that will have me traveling. My first stop will be in Santa Fe NM. Would I be eligible as a non-resident to hunt there this fall? I will be there at least till Dec. maybe longer. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Since you have already missed the drawing for deer, elk, and antelope, you are basically up the creek for hunting. There are still a few leftover deer tags, but you would not qualify for residency status.

Here is a link to their proclamation:Rules and Regs

New Mexico defines resident as: Resident
Anyone who has lived in New Mexico at least 90 days before
applying for a license and does not claim residency elsewhere
for any purpose. Also a student at a New Mexico educational
institution who has lived in the state for at least one full term
prior to applying for a license. Also a member of the armed forces
permanently assigned to a military installation in New Mexico or a
member of the armed forces who claims New Mexico residency but
is stationed in another state or country

one of us
posted Hide Post
New Mexico used to have some over the counter deer tags, but this year they dropped them.
You can run up to Colorado and get an over the counter elk tag though. You can call 1 (303) 297-1192 for more information and request a a regulation booklet.
I didn't draw elk in my home state so I'll probably be going to Colorado myself. Just have to see what gas prices end up doing.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Colorado is a good idea. I spent a week this year in your area, I love Tucson. I was ther in the early 80's

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain,
I have about 5 land owner permits...Hunt is $2250. plus license..A mid Sept 2 day hunt 40 miles East and 30 South of Albuquerque, NM 100,000 plus acres, 100% kill for last 8 or so years..for more information contact me at the below email or tel.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of yuccabush
posted Hide Post
You will have a better chance with the draw if you apply as a non-resident.

New Mexico Predator Callers Association

Posts: 7 | Location: Albuquerque,NM | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks like a good place to ask this question. NM sells over the counter tags for auodad with seasons listed in and around state parks, wildlife management areas, etc. Non resident is about $350. The question is multifold; 1. Are success rates on these hunts pretty good? 2. What areas would you New Mexico guys recommend? 3. Is there a best time to hunt them? I was looking at an area west of Albequerque around Enchanted Mesa or Bandera National Monument. This seems like a better deal than a ranch hunt in Texas, especially since it is free ranging and the cost is nomimal. Any help is appreciated

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since my posted message last night I did a little homework. The auodad areas mentioned in the regs are in GMU #9 in Marquez and Lost Water areas west towards Grants. I was also thinking of land on or near Bandolier Natl Monument, not Bandera as a possible hunt destination. So the question remains to forum particapants, can this be a good area for free ranging hunt of barbary sheep? I am not carved in stone as the interstate to NM is pretty straight south from Montana. Quien sabe'?

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote