New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 loads for Black Bear over Bait
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have yet to shoot a black bear with my Blaser R 93. I will use my 19 3/4" Tracker bbl in 375 H&H on my June hunt in Idaho. [I will have my 450/400 double along too] Big Grin
I am debating between loads. I have several different factory loads on hand, Federal 250 and 300 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Fed 300 Nosler Partitions, Speer Nitrex 285 Grand Slam and a few Hornady 270 Heavy Magnums. My shot should be well inside 40 yards.
I have a favorite pick, but I wonder what the general opinions are.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from using more than enough gun nut, and while any of those loads will work on even the biggest black bear in the world, I'd personally go with the one that shoots best in your rifle and the one that you want to performance test for African game beer

For Black bear, the 250gr. TBBCs would probably offer the best as far as least recoiling, highest velocity, and best balanced bullet for animals averaging about 250 lbs! eek2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Truthfully,
I take it you want to shoot a blackbear with your .375, just to baptize your rifle on blackbears. Indeed why not.
As you probably are aware, anything like a 270/.308/.30/06 is more then plenty to shoot those animals, specially over bait. They are easily killed with a decent placed shot.
Pick your .375 loads that expands most rapidly on a thin skinned animal like blackbear.
Blackbears for quick kills need relative fast expanding quality bullets. If anything, slow expanding slugs can be counter productive and have your bear run of for some distance before collapsing. Normally, spring blackbears are a lot skinnier then fall bears.
If you are shooting from a treestand beware of heavy recoilers!!
In some treestands your back is against the tree. You can not roll with the recoil.
Full recoil force will hit you against an immobile braced shoulder. It is no fun.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen thanks for your replies.I have taken 3 black bear over bait and a few on spot and stalk hunts. Over bait I have taken 2 with my 9,3x74R double rifle which I consider as perfect for this type of hunt. My last bear in Sept 2004 was taken with my Blaser K 95 in 308 which I think is a good bear calibre. The outfitter said I was the only hunter he has had that has not had a long follow up using a 30 cal. The 9,3 hits them like the Hammer of Thor as does my 450/400 used on a spot and stalk hunt.
I just like using big bullets especially when shooting at last light, and want to get a bear with the R 93.
I consider a Black bear about the same as a wild boar pig of equal weight. The bear does not have a gristle plate, but his bones seem bigger/tougher, and his muscles more dense.

Lets keep the discusson going. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest shooting the bear with whatever rifle or handgun that you would enjoy saying you shot the bear with.I have shot black bear with .308 Win. on up.No special bullet or caliber is needed especially over bait at modest ranges.The only problemm I have ever had was with a hardcast bullet out of a .454 handgun. Next to no blood, ran forever,hit in the chest while standing up looking at me at 25 yds.Any expansion at all would have helped.A .243 would have been better. I usually hunt alone from a ground stand. If it weren't for the possibilty of a Grizzly trying to ruin the hunt I wouldn't use a .308 as a minimum.Good luck.

Posts: 222 | Location: Alaska- The Greatland | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I must agree with the Canadian southpaw... the TBB 250...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No 2,

I shot a black bear 2 years ago with a 300 grain TBBC Federal factory load. 1 shot kill, the bear wen about 30yards. 3 buddies also were along and they shot their bears with 7MM mags and 1 300 mag, all with lighter constructed bullets. None of their bears went as far, and all their bears had more tissue and hide damage.
I myself prefer the larger caliber and heavier bullet, with better penetration and less explosive wound channel. But all the bears were one shot kills.
BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I've shot 1 back bear and one grizzly wiht a .375 H&H, both times using the 300 Gr Partition.

The grizz was through the pelvis to anchor an already dead, but still moving bear. It went right through, and left a nice hole.

The black bear I shot went down o fast I actualy thiought I had missed, as he dropped off into the bush so quickly.

This year I'll use the 300 gr Partiton or 300gr Hornady, probably the Hornady as I haven't tried it out yet Big Grin

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Like the rest have said, any of your choices are good ones. I've used a big bore on only one bear and it was a speer bullet, Mag Tip. The good thing is when you get into the world of big boars there are few fraglie bullets. I'd go with the 250gr Bear claw or grand slam.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen the 270 grain Hornady spire point blow up badly on light game.. I would NOT use it on any kind of bear.
JMO,
PB

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No 2

As you probably know I have shot the 375 a bunch. The bears I killed were with the 300 SAF which seems to work on everything. As for perfect bullet for the application you described I would think the 300gr Nosler would be the best. You'll have explosive initial expansion and all the penetration you'll ever need. I would caution you to stay away from the 270 Hornady. I personally have seen that bullet come apart and since you are talking the Heavy Magnum load and close range I would be doubly afraid of a bullet failure.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler 260 Accubond is what I would use. I tested them and they open up quick, hold their weight and mushroom nice.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

I shot both of my bears up there with 400 grain Barnes solids out of the .416 (solids are legal in Idaho). Big Grin Both bears were dead inside of 20 yards. Matt's kid took his first bear up there lasy year with us and used a 7mm-08 from a Model 7 Remington. He shot it perfectly but that bullet blew the hell outta the hide and the bear didn't die any quicker. Just use solids and pretend you are back elephant hunting. Big Grin Wink Big Grin

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All bullets mentioned will do the job. As to best bullet? I think as some others the 300 gr partition should be as close to perfect as you can get. I mostly use a 270 gr Swift A-Frame. They open but not too quick. They will hold together no matter what. Good luck.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dids a little swap with a friend and got some Federal 260 Accubonds. I have not shot them yet but I may as well throw them into the mix.
This friend will probably be using them on our elk hunt, I might just shoot a bear with them to see how they do.
Opinions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the bullets suggested for the .375 will work on a black bear..I personally like the Nosler because I am guarenteed two holes and bear hair soaks up a lot of blood and not much of it makes it to the ground with one hole...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450, what kind of ranges are you shooting over the bait? The reason I ask, I have been useing the old barnes .375 255 grain flat point for the 38-55, out of a buddies 375win and his H&H,under 100 meters and it works great as long as you don't push it real hard

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450,

I'm thinking of using my .375 with 300gr Nosler partitions, too.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave our shots will probably be under 30 yards.
The 235 Speer atr @ 2500 would probably do good a job as any of the other loads I have listed.

skl1, You can never go wrong with a Nosler Partition.

Ray is totally correct, Bears, [and pigs] do not leave a blood trail unless the exit hole is BIG.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave James
The distance should be under 40 yards, probably under 25. Velocity is not an issue, bullet expansion/fragmentation is.
It is always nice to drop a bear with one shot.
However "following one up" can be exciting too. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon woodleigh's 235 gr bullet would be pretty good.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 300 TBBC and the 285 Speer. The bear I shot with the Speer didn't go anywhere, and it had a quarter size exit hole.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
how far is the bait from your stand? 40 yards, just about anything.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 260 Nosler is tough to beat at this game!

Good Luck!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At this stage the 2 top runners are the Federal 250 gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, or the 260 Accubond. Both bullets being bonded should not rip up the hide but should still have a big mushroom making a big round exit hole.
The 393lb bear I shot in Canada last year was hit in the shoulder with a 286gr Nosler Partition from my 9,3x74R, he never took a step. I like to hit the bear just behind the shoulder as I hate to mess up the great tasting front shoulder roast, but all I have hit there have run 20 yards or so and slid another 20 or so down the mountain, making gutting, skinning, and butchering in place [when I am alone] or carrying it back to camp difficult for my buddies.
So even if I decide to shoot the shoulder, bonded bullets do less damage to the meat.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 393lb bear I shot in Canada last year was hit in the shoulder with a 286gr Nosler Partition from my 9,3x74R, he never took a step. I like to hit the bear just behind the shoulder as I hate to mess up the great tasting front shoulder roast, but all I have hit there have run 20 yards or so and slid another 20 or so down the mountain, making gutting, skinning, and butchering in place [when I am alone] or carrying it back to camp difficult for my buddies.
So even if I decide to shoot the shoulder, bonded bullets do less damage to the meat.

Tony; Got the 405 Win barrel to mount on my Encore on Friday. Went on a Boy Scout Camp trip Fri - Sat. Sat PM mounted a Weaver base and Leupold VX III 1.5-5 in QRW QD mount. Horandy 300 gr.FP @ 2250 fps. Bore sight, 50 Yards, second zero shot bullseye. Worked on 100 and have 50 - 100 within an inch. Mounted NECG peep on Weaver base. Two shots, front sight too low. Will order new front sight tonight.

PS; 24" barrel, 5.5 lbs kicks the snot out of me!!

Send email on motel in Elk City. Need to make reservations.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe,
I have reserved 2 rooms for the 4 of us that are confirmed going for the night of June 7th.
If you plan to arrive before that the phone number is 208 842 2452.

That Encore in 405 should be just the ticket.
Especially with the scope in QD mounts.
One of the guys I work with is taking his Encore in 300 Mag on our elk hunt. They are light and carry real nice.
Have you thought about putting on a butt stock sell carrier to speed up your reloading?

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony, thanks for making the motel reservations. Good idea about the shell carrier. Have to buy one to fit the 405 cases. The others I have won't fit.

Dennis, aka "PostDriver" here on AR, has been in communication with me and I believe he is in with us. He is thinking of flying from Dallas to Missoula and driving over with me on the 7th.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As soon as he knows for sure that will leave just one slot open. Should be a good crew for a good hunt. Big Grin

Also I will call Elk city and get us another bed at the hotel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey NE 450,

Aren't you guys hunting with Elk City Adventures, and don't they set up a tent camp?

That's my understanding, anyway, and what I think I booked for.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Sounds right. 6/8-12th. Saw your comments on the other post. See you on the 7th in Elk City.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe, sounds good.

skl1
Yes that is correct they do run a tent camp. I have hunted with them twice.