Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Exotic hunting recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Morning!!
Haven't been on here in a long time but its good to be back.
My hunting buddy and I are starting to think about doing an exotic hunt in Texas within the next couple of years so we're starting to gather info.
We both are SCI members so we have some recommendations but I figured I'd ask on here also.
So, any recommendations?
My hunting buddy and I would like the hunt to be classified as "fair chase" and no "high fence" hunts please.
Far as species, we're looking at Axis deer...Aoudad...Blackbuck....Nilgai....and maybe some kind of ram, like a Corsican.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
CMR

One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
An exotic hunt in Texas NOT under high fence. I think you are going to be challenged to find a hunt.

Your best bet would be a Nilgai or Free Range Audoad look at Wildlife Systems Inc http://www.wildlifesystems.com/. I met Greg Simmons about 10 years ago and was very impressed and have talked with him since. 99% of all the exotic hunts I know abuot our on High Fence Ranches.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've checked out Wildlife Systems. They're one I've requested info on.

I've also be recommended to check out Indianhead Ranch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Jeff Zion at www.diamondbacksafaris.com

He's in Junction, TX.
Make sure you say you want a free-range/no fence hunt (and he'll deliver).

The exotics are just all over the place out there, and get into any property they can where there isn't a high fence and there is water.

The issue isn't shooting one...it's holding off for the right trophy.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
It is possible, but you need to consider the nature of the animal being hunted.

If you want no high fence, what you really are asking for is for a hunt for animals that are not contained. You do not need a high fence to contain some of the exotics.

An Aoudad, Whitetail, Axis etc. will jump a low fence. A Corsican, Blackbuck, Scimitar Oryx will not. So, If you are looking for a free range hunt for Blackbuck, make sure there is not a 4' net wire fence, or they are, essentially "fenced in".

The easiest animals to find in the hill country, unfenced, is Axis Deer. Lots of them. Aoudad are present in a lot of areas, but it might be a bit difficult finding a good hunt for them. Look to West Texas for the real experience of a free range Aoudad hunt.

Look at the King Ranch and other ranches in that area of TX for Nilgai.

While I do not know Greg Simmons, I do know a few people who have hunted with his company. They have only said good things.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote