New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BAR or remington 7400?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Springfield's SOCOM M1-A1. Short barrel with muzzle brake, synthetic stock and removable magazine.

just got done looking these up on line, they seem very interesting. does anyone have any experience with the accuracy? (what should i expect a 100 yds?) thanks jt

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned both, I started out with the remington but became displeased with the accuracy, I brought it to a gunsmith to try and tighten up the group and he advised me that the barrels on these rifles are not screwed into the reciever more like a M870. He advised the browning since they are threaded like a bolt action. I now own two one in 30-06 and the other in 338, both are extremely accurate much more than the Rem, they are also better balanced. I only had one failure to extract with the remington but have never had any malfunctions on either BAR and I have had BARs for 24 tears now and have run hundreds of rounds through both. I still miss some of the features that the rem has such as the exposed maf, the bolt relaese and that it locks back when empty. I have the MkI V2 BAR, the MKII have improved the bolt release.

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lawcop,

great feedback thanks for taking the time. great idea with the folding stock also! im gonna go look at one this weekend

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Springfield's SOCOM M1-A1. Short barrel with muzzle brake, synthetic stock and removable magazine.

just got done looking these up on line, they seem very interesting. does anyone have any experience with the accuracy? (what should i expect a 100 yds?) thanks jt

YEP, Have probably 40,000 rounds through the 18" version from a bunch of years of competition and another 200 or so through the 16" version.

Accuracy from either one is better then you will ever get out of all but a "match grade" Remington autoloader.

Both will produce 1-1 1/2" with irons in my experience. Being of M14 parantage, they are easy to find parts for and are user friendly for fixing all but the major problems, like bbl changes.
The SOCOM I shot belonged to a friend and it handled everything we put through it over the weekend, probably close to 700rounds without a glitch. I shot at least 200 through it myself because I was thinking of getting one but I already have 3 M1As (a M21T, rack grade standard and an original "guerrila gun" 18" with folding stock)so ... I'm not that desparate for one.
Now that the AW ban is dead, you could find a nice folder to throw on one and it would really be a compact go anywhere and handle anything rifle.

I found it accurate, the recoil was mild and it functioned flawlessly. Not much else to be said about it. Also Springfield has a simple lifetime warranty on it. It breaks, they fix it.

I made it sound so good... Maybe I will have to get one after all...

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

my idea of a boat gun is one that stays on the boat. it will be used for deer hunting (possibly black bear). up here we are allowed 5 deer in most parts, they are typically on the beach in the winter time..... so i want to get a gun that may drop an extra deer or two while i would be rolling the bolt with another. the weather is normally raining and cruddy.

the salt water is very harsh on guns so it needs to have a great finish or needs to be treated with an aftermarket coating. hope that make it clearer.

I understand Alaska winter is much colder than Canada. How can you hunt from the shorline? Do you leave your rifle in the boat in the water (or ice)?

Semi-autos are sensitive to extreme cold weather under -20*F. Salt water is another consideration that is working against semi-autos. You better consider M1A as suggested by others.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote