New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cites?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First time hunting outside US. I am going to Canada for a black bear hunt. Have a question concerning importing the hide/skull and what Cites paperwork/permits are needed. I went to the USF&W web site and got semi-confused.
Any help much appreicated.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Fish and Wildlife Service- Permits : Frequently Asked Questions and Facts Index "B"

Do I need a permit to import into the United States a black bear that I harvested as a trophy in Canada?

The American black bear (Ursus americanus) is listed in CITES Appendix II.

To import a hunting trophy from Canada, contact the applicable provincial or territorial office to meet its requirements.

We recognize the CITES personal effects exemption. Residents of the United States or Canada do not need a CITES permit to import black bear trophies in a fresh, frozen, or salted condition if the personal sport-hunted trophy is part of the hunter’s accompanying baggage and is for personal use.

If the trophy is being shipped or mailed by a taxidermist or someone else, it must be accompanied by a CITES permit (see Canadian offices above). If your taxidermist brings your trophy over the border for you, he or she must obtain an import/export license.

A black bear trophy lawfully taken by a U.S. resident in Canada and imported for non-commercial purposes, may be imported at any Customs port of entry. You must delcare your trophy using our declaration form, and file the form with U.S. Customs if a FWS wildlife inspector is not available.

Check with the State to meet its requirements.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skinner - Thanks