New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of these 4 what would you chose?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks I have an old 98 mauser I would like to build into something. I will be useing a barrel from E.R. Shaw and a stock from Boyds most likely.
I want something none of my friends have. I have thought of 6.5-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen or to have something more popular a plain ole 25-06 just because I always wanted one.
I already have a customized model 70 in .300 mag that is my favorite rifle, and a rare, at least for these parts Waffen Frankonia in .308.
All four would be used for white tail deer and I figured the 25-06, or 6.5-06 would make nice ground hog rigs. On the other hand the 338-06 or 35 Whelen would be good for bear.
I guess my delema is do I go smaller than my normal .30 cal. round or larger? I have always been a bigger is better kind of person. So here is your chance give your opinion of the four mentioned and reasons.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too believe that bigger is better, but if I were in your shoes I'd go for the 25 or 6.5. If you want bear, you can still use your favorite 300 mag, and the bear will be very dead...

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Have you ever thought about a 9,3X62, nice and very effective cartridge. 280 rem is also a very good cartridge.

/ JOHAN

posted Hide Post
I would also go for the 9.3x62, a factory round, but certainly not a common one...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
I would also go for the 9.3x62, a factory round, but certainly not a common one...

Is it that uncommon in the UK? You find it everywhere on the continent...

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Compared to say the .308 or .270, I would say yes it is uncommon. Because of the stupid way some of our laws are framed, it can be quite difficult to own anything over
say a 30-06 for deer stalking. I guess in Europe the 9.3x62 makes a fine round for your larger bodied red deer and wild boar....

When it comes to Brits who own rifles to hunt Africa, I would say that the .375H&H, 300Win mag and 7mmRem Mag are more common than the 9.3x62mm as the former are relatively easy to get off the shelf.

I suspect this will change now the CZ550 American is being chambered in 9.3x63mm.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would vote for .257 Roberts, 6.5X55 mm, or 7X57 mm.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a new custom built on a CZ 24 Mauser action, action is being trued, lugs lapped, new bolt handle with flat checkered knob. I chose a .275 Rigby, Shaw 24" barrel, B&C stock, gunkote finish, Leupold 2 piece bases, bolt etc. engine turned. Now the .275 Rigby sounds exotic (which I like) but it's actually exactly the same as a 7 X 57 Mauser. By the way I'm having the barrel engraved as ".275 Rigby or 7 X 57" for the caliber marking.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Are the black bears in Pa. wearing body armor these days? Since you already have two rifles that are plenty powerful enough to hunt deer and bear with, why buy another rifle that fits the same purpose?

I'm a 25-06 fan, (one of mine is on a G33-40) and it would offer a lighter bullet selection for groundhogs, while still having bullets available for deer and bear. The 6.5-06 is good one too, but it's geared more toward the medium game side of things which you have pretty well covered.

A 257 Roberts would do the same job as a 25-06, but be a little milder mannered, and would fit nicely in your mauser magazine box.

Any of these smaller bores would offer something that you don't have at this point. A true "medium" might be fun to talk about, but probably won't get much use.

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go for a 257 Ackley Improved. Works great in the 98 length action, pretty much does what a 25-06 does, but not so common. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Pete E and King Baboon! I would go with a 9,3x62 for bear medicine. It is a classy round that is good for everything from Elephant on down and you can make the stuff out of 30-06 brass in a pinch. A neat round for bear in North America.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Axel>
posted
Johnthegreek, a small correction to your statement. You cannot make 9.3X63 Mauser out of 30-06 brass. If you attempt this conversion the brass is too short and the shoulder is positioned too far back causing too great a head space error to allow for fire forming.

Axel

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 25.06 because it is common.
If you ever sell the rifle, ammo is available off the shelf.
The 25.06 makes a great varmit-medium game rifle.
Flat shootin puppy as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axel,

Really? I don't fire form brass anyway but I always thought that was a bit of the beauty of this round. Well, you learn something bew every day I guess. I still think he should get a 9,3. [Big Grin]

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I see lots of answers to a question not asked, so I will try to refrain from doing so myself. Of the 4 you listed I would pick the 6.5/06. The 300 Mag is plenty for the larger end of the spectrum and the 6.5 would give you a very practical smaller bore rifle (varmints to deer or bear). The 25/06 would fill that niche nicely too, but I just prefer the 6.5.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Your .300 mag is very adequat for any big bear. You need to go smaller. If you want something very different then go with the 6.5/.284 Norma which I believe Norma is producing ammo for or go with the 6.5x55 Swede, both of which are known for accuracy.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Sell the Mauser action to someone else and save yourself from a big expense creating a rifle with slow locktime and soft metal that will be worth no more than what the action is worth now.

A friend of mine who has been to Africa twice and ownes a lot of the big bore rifles says his favorite rifle is a new M-70 in .375 H&H. This one has a black plastic stock on it. It's a very well balanced rifle. Now something like that will cost about $700 and you can get it right away. It will be very easy to sell should you need to.

I don't know what other rifles you have. Sure enough someone says they like "bigger" and then find that they don't have a chuck rifle or a good .22LR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don
When I lived in Ligonier, PA, I acquired my three rifle battery that I still have today.
A 25/06 for deer and groundhogs
300 Win Mag for black bear
and later I added a heavy barrel 223 for groundhogs. The 25/06 just seemed so loud hunting chucks near the farmers house. I figured I'd be more welcome if I kept the noise down.
Have you considered a 250 Savage? Would make a dandy deer/chuck rifle.
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With Federal Premium 225 TBCs in the 35 Whelen, I average 2609 ft/sec with a 22� Ruger SE and averaged 2620 ft/sec through a 24� Shilen barrel. My point is that there is an available factory load that allows the Whelen to run right along side many hand loaded 338-06s in 225 gr. bullets.

As an aside, I am of the mind that the lethargic performance of Remington�s Whelen ammunition played a significant role in the lackluster rifle sales in this grand old round when they commercialized it in the 80s. If Federal would have been on the scene with their Premium offering and Remington�s damn lawyers would have been kept away from the loading bench at the factory, the Whelen�s commercialization may have had an entirely different outcome. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well lots of replys and Canuck is the only one who stuck to the actual question. Yes I had thought of the 9.3x62 but it really don't intrest me. No the bear don't wear body armor and I know my .300 and .308 will handle them but I want something else. My .300 is set up for open field hunting not beating through the mountain laural. I am not in a rush to get this new rifle. I like having projects. I plan to do the stock work myself. I build flintlock rifles and have an itch to stock a modern rifle. I also am not worried about resale value. Right hand actions stocked for a lefty don't sell well any how. I guess what I am looking for in answers is a decision between the two larger bore and the two smaller bores. Only I can decide if I go larger or smaller.
I might add if I go with the small bore I plan to build a heavy barreled rifle with a fluted barrel. If I go with the bigger bore I will have more questions as to barrel lengths as I would like a shorter more manuverable rifle for thicker woods.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i had a 25-06, and really liked it quite a bit, but it was an older gun, in need of a new stock and i wasn't using it much . . . and my wife had just claimed my rem .870 featherweight shotgun for her own and i needed a new shotgun . . .

were i to build the light rifle, though, i think i'd go 6.5-06 (in fact, i have gone with the 6.5x284).

at the top end, your decision mirrors the one i'll be making before i go to namibia in a couple of years for plains game. i'm still thinking 35 whelen over 338-06 . . . i'd just as soon buy pre-formed brass and handload for the whelen, so that's the way i'm leaning right now. i'll probably load 225 gr bullets for the open country and should i hunt denser cover, 250s. besides, "35 whelen" sounds a lot cooler than "338-06 A-square" [Cool]

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
338-06 would be my choice, lots of 338 choices for bullets, nice caliber. Am partial to 338 caliber as to smaller, would do anything you needed.

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Don,

Off topic, are you seeing bear in you area now. I recently saw one guy posting about seeing them in the Uniontown / Summit area. That is getting pretty close to you.

I'd probably do the 338/06 cause it sounds interesting and fun.

Posts: 172 | Location: Danville, VA, USA | Registered: 08 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axel/Todd E/SRS - Don't look now, but your phoney "german accent" is slipping. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jacobite, I like all your 4 picks...but it occurs to me there may be a deciding factor here we are overlooking:

Where do you hunt? And what do you hunt in? Are we looking for a long range rifle or a relatively short range, heavy bullet rifle?

Given these problems I'd lean towards the 6.5/06 as the long range rifle and the .35 Whelen for the heavy. Well, actually I would be just as happy with the 338/06.

Bottom line, it's your call. All of these will make a fine rifle. So there isn't any wrong answer. Good hunting. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Pondoro>
posted
What about and 8x68S...powerful and very flatshooting...an underestimated and overlooked round....but proven..

<257 AI>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Sell the Mauser action to someone else and save yourself from a big expense creating a rifle with slow locktime and soft metal that will be worth no more than what the action is worth now.

Put down the crack pipe, step away slowly. You obviously don't know a thing about custom built rifles and Mauser actions. As someone that owns and has shot lots of them all built on Mauser actions I can say that they are fantastic actions for building a rifle on. And as for their value they are worth far more than just the action when finished.

In answer to the origional question, I would take the 338-06 out of the 4 you listed. I don't care for the limited bullet selection of the 6.5mm/264s. You stated that you wanted something different and the 25-06 while not as common as the 270 or 30-06 is still fairly common. And the 338-06 has superior bullet selection and sectional density to the 35 Whelen. In 338 you can get bullets from 180gr to 250gr. It is a great round for deer, bear or wild boars. You didn't mention needing a chuck rifle so I'm not going to address that but I imagine that it would do a number on thoes too. [Wink] And the 338-06 or 35 Whelen would be better in a 22" barrel than the 25-06 or 6.5-06. The 25-06 really shines in a 26" barrel.

[ 10-05-2002, 03:35: Message edited by: 257 AI ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bear hunting in the Uniontown mountains is getting very good. If it wasn't for my work schedule this year I would be going. Again I don't need a new rifle I WANT one!! I came up with 4 calibers that intrest me. For all the ground hog hunting I do any rifle is fine. I actually like to use my deer rifle as it is great practice. I am leaning very heavy on the 338-06 because of bullet selection and I just want something bigger than .30 cal. I always wanted a .338 Win. mag. but know I flat out just don't need it. I want a 30-06 size case because these little .308 cases are so small they look like they are for a toy gun. Reminds me of when I was a kid totin around the 30-30 getting teased that when I grew up I could shoot a mans rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just love big bore rifles so my suggestions will biased towards that and if you do not own any you should [Wink]

My suggestion therefore is to turn that M 98 action into a .416 Taylor You will Love it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jacobite,
I think that your thoughts on the 338-06 are right on. I also think that your current favorite rifle might be in jeopardy if you follow through with the 338-06. [Big Grin]

As to the nay-sayers as regards the 98 Mauser... [Razz]

best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Jacobite,

You already have a short case (308) and a standard length rifle in the 300 WM. Why not consider adding a medium length cartridge to your selection? They are a natural for Mauser actions and work in them the best.

But of the ones you listed and for the sake of adding something "different" because you want to, Id say the Whelen would fill that niche the best.

John the greek,

Dont listen to Todd E. 9.3X62 can be made from 06 brass, doing it right is a bit of a pain though.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get .338 in weights from 160 to 300.

Paul

Posts: 38 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote