THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    re: tasunkawitko and his Texas Mobile Deer Stand

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

re: tasunkawitko and his Texas Mobile Deer Stand
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tas,

I figure we’ve about wore out the Kudu thread, so I thought I’d start a new thread in regards to your posting of the Texas Mobile Deer Stand. Although my F350 is not as big as your TMDS, it has killed its share of animals. Here is the story of one such incidence.
(Also some of the blinds I’ve seen for sale here rival your TMDS)

When I read your post it brought to mind the 1999 deer season. I was hunting in Rocksprings, Texas at the time. Some years earlier, my brother married into a family of deer hunters (one of the daughters, not the sons) The patriarch of the clan wanted to get my brother on the lease so his grandsons could grow up. His sons did not want my brother on the lease, as my brothers main focus is making money, not working to improve the lease or hunting. They were at loggerheads. They figured out a solution to the problem. They called me and said that they were thinking about inviting me on their lease. However, they wanted me to know up front it wasn't because they liked me. Rather they knew that I loved to hunt and knew that I was well acqainted with Senor Manual Labor. So, they told me if I would carry my lazy ass brother, he and I could be on their lease. I've been hunting with them since then. My brother got off one year later. Each year they remind me that they still don't like me but they put up with me because I bring the steaks, cigars and Patron.
Anyway, what reminded me of that season was your posting of the Texas Mobile Deer Blind. Opening weekend of the 1999 deer season in the Texas hill country was a washout. I don’t remember how many inches it rained but the trip that normally takes six hours took fifteen hours. We started out at Six AM and after taking numerous detours and fording several rivers and streams arrived at Nine PM. We sure could have used one of those TMDS that day. Anyway it rained so hard that weekend in the Texas hill country that deer hunters were being pulled out of trees with helicopeters. I hunted that whole weekend in the rain and cold with no success. On the way out I saw a group of Audad sheep going straight up the side of a hill. I stopped my truck and grabbed my rifle. An easy 200 yard shot at a running target (yeah). As it was cold, wet and rainy, I had the defroster/heater on in my truck, and when I took the rifle out to shoot, of course the scope lens totally fogged up. So, no shot on the Audad. Needless to say I was pissed. I had traveled 350 miles over the course of 15 hours, to get to the lease, gone through water up to my driver’s side window in my new F350. Then I had hunted in the rain and cold for three days and finally when I had the opportunity to take a shot at game, my scope fogged up. Well I threw the rifle back in the truck and took off. I hadn’t gone up the hill a quarter mile when I felt a bump like I had run over something. As my windshield was still fogged up, I hadn’t seen what had run in front of my truck. I got out and looked back down the hill. I had run over a double curl ram. He was lying there dying but I hate to see any critter suffer so I pulled a pistol out and finished him off and drug him off to the side of the road. Then I went back to the truck to get in when a thought struck me. I’d hunted hard for three days and I wasn’t in any mood to go back empty handed. I backed the truck up, loaded him up and decided since he was such a nice ram that I would have him mounted.
The ram in the picture below is the only animal I have on my wall that was killed by a truck rather than a pistol, rifle or bow. One of these days I am going to add a backboard and an engraved plate with a piece of tire tread stating that he was killed by a Ford.
I have a good friend from Ireland that has a saying that “ a lie well told will serve as good as the truth anydayâ€. But if I’m lyin,I’m dyin.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
now THAT was one heck of a good hunting story! Eeker clap

they say that the best stories are the ones that leave you wondering - i'd be honored to sit at your campfire, sir! salute

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
rotflmo GREAT story GW!! Thanks.........I needed a good laugh today. lol Some of those rams aren't too bright. It kinda varies, I've seen some that won't let you get anywhere near them and then I've seen some that aren't scared of anything. My dad and I were heading to a lease we had in Menard one day a few years back and as we were coming down that big hill going into Junction, a big Corisican just decided to walk out in the middle of traffic on I-10 in broad daylight. He didn't run, he just took his sweet time........like he didn't have a care in the world. haha. All we saw were brake lights and smoke from tires. I'll never forget that.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote