one of us
posted
Decisions...Decisions!!! [Big Grin]

So.....what's your pick going to be??

[ 04-30-2003, 06:10: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm a fan of the 416 Rem Mag and even though I would most likely never need it it would be fun to shoot. Practicality being what it is I'd lean towards a .338WM or a .358 Norma.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine will be a 404 Jeffrey. Nice traditional rifle with an effective cartridge yet is moderate enough to be shot well. Have the action and stock blank, just waiting for the barrel to arrive.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

For you either a .375 H&H or a 416 would be very nice. Either one will do the job if aimed right.

There are cast bullets to play with in these big bores and when the velocities are up to 2000 fps or more they are effective on medium game within their range.

These guns kick like hell! I am sure someone will say that they don't and show one chambered in a pistol but to me the .375 is all that I want to shoot for fun. Even the heavy bullet .375 loads are rough. That's why I sold a accurate .378 Weatherby.

The .375's that I have might be a little heavy. A friend has a new M 70 in .375 H&H and it has a medium profile 24" barrel and the rifle handles really well. This is a reason to stay with the .375. Of course the 416 could be loaded down. Both as I say are right answers. Don't be swayed by what others say. "All guns good, shootem good"

I have two M 1999 SA's on order. At the moment one will be a 6mm Rem on a 22" featherweight barrel and the other a 270 WSM. No barrels or stocks are on order. I have a lot of rifles already.

[ 03-30-2003, 01:27: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Speedy>
posted
338 WSM [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5x284 for me on one of their short actions, Hart barrel, Mcmillian M70 supergrade stock.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of actions, and the right-hand magnum bolt-face is in hand and in construction. The left-hand action is "real soon now" or whatever it takes. Both will become .458 Lott dangerous game rifles, and are the prototypes for my proposed line of PH working rifles. The barrels are Lothar Walther with 10" twist, the better to stabilize solids in critters. The stocks will be laminates.

For my personal pleaseure I am looking at a .400 H&H, but no reamers are available for that cartridge yet.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chompin' at the bit here for the 2 s/a,ss, rh that were ordered last week!! One will most likely be a .338 WSM & the other either a 25-284
or a 6.5-284. Still lots of decisions to make on barrels, stocks, etc. Never gone the custom route before so before long there will be plenty of
questions. Good Shooting, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, it looks like we have some mighty big calibers about to get born.
My LH short action is going to be a little 358 Win., 22" barrel, McMillan or a laminated stock and a fixed 4X Leupold. This is going to be one sweet little deer rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I can ever get a certain Remington lovin', Mauser hatin' gunsmith's attention (JUST KIDDING! Please, Jack, put down that M98!) I have a pair of C-M left hand actions on order that I would dearly love to have turned into a pair of classy classics. Blued, trued and fine tuned sitting in nice wooden stocks.

Calibers? A .30-06 and a .375 H&H. Call me boring, but I appreciate proven results.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to buy one, but when I do, it'll be a 404 Jeffrey. [Smile]

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my LH project, .25-'06 A.I. or .280 A.I. Oh darn, decisions!!! Maybe, both!!!

Posts: 28 | Location: Wyoming, Like No Place On Earth | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I may buy one next week...and in honor of Ray A and Jack Belk it will be a 300 WSM in stainless, with a high gloss, camo laminate, thumbhole stock. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got two coming....(1) 257WSM, and (2) either a 375WSM or 416WSM...probably in Borden RimRock stocks or some nice laminated...depending on my mood.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LA: .270 Win
SA: .275 Rigby

(OK, just tell me "boring" - I like classic cartridges! [Wink] )
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
SA - either a .358 win or a 338-08 can't make up my mind! Help!!

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 LH long actions. 300 win mag and 375 H&H or 416 rem haven't decided yet.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well..

I have two LH Long actions.. One will be a 458 Lott and I am considering a 416 Remington for the other.

I also two short LH actions and one will be a .308.

<Speedy>
posted
oulufinn

You have a P/M

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elkslayer,

If I lived in Wyoming then I would lean towards the .308 or maybe the .338/08. Here in the North East the .358 Winchester is my primary woods cartridge but most of the shooting is up to 75 yards. I have had some shots at 200 yards but they are rare so I would make a .358 Win, if I did not have three of them now, with a light 20" barrel.

But the .358 Win will work at 300 yards if one runs the numbers. I suppose that the .308 runs out of steam around that range also.

Keep in mind that the barrels on light .358 Wins are really thin and that's why I suggest a little bit more meat on such a barrel but cut to 20".

Just get what you want and make it work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine will be a 404 Jefferys or perhaps a 400 H&H..with the addition of a Blackburn drop box.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 404 or what ever 40 would be ok as the big bores do really well with cast bullets. I have shot my .375 H&H more with them than jacketed loads. They will take deer sized game and more I suppose within their range. If you look at all of the old cartridges it the 1880's many of them were .40's.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to my stainless short action; will most likely be a 308 or a 250-3000. If I like it, I'll order a Mini and a PH with drop box.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine will be in 8X68s which may be the best New Mexico elk thumper. It will be carried in an Accubond laminated stock and wear Ziess optics.

Posts: 8 | Location: Roswell, New Mexico | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered 2 LH long actions. They will become a matched pair 300 and 375 H&H. Soon I will order 2 short action LH, one to be a 220 Swift and the other to be a nice, light, octagon barreled 257 Roberts. I think I will order 2 of the minis in LH. Probably a 17 Rem and a 222 Rem. I want to get one of the PH actions, LH of course but am undecided about the caliber as of yet.

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless short action on the way. Going to get MRC to do the barrel, #4 countour, also and lone wolf riflestock. The caliber is going to be a 270 WSM to take care of those pesky little Sika deer around here. Should do a pretty good job on whitetail also.

[ 04-30-2003, 05:39: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a stainless SA Montana 1999 action and plan to have PAC-NOR install a stainless 22” barrel in a .350 Rem mag. by mid-summer. I intend to use this rifle for elk hunting in the North Idaho fir jungles, and I want it to be short, light and quick. My SE Whelen has a muzzle end diameter under .600”, and I have a relatively lightweight .338 that has a .625” muzzle end diameter. So, I believe that I’ll ask PAC-NOR to put it up around .600”, or maybe go to .620” to have just a little more meat for stiffness and forward balance. I do know for certain that it will be bedded and floated in a McMillan featherweight stock. CP.

[ 04-30-2003, 05:57: Message edited by: CP ]

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be carefull about the big bores, I can't find a 404 drop box for the Montana action!! Blackburn does not make a 404 box for a M-70, just for a Mauser, so one should give some thought to the 416 Rem in the Montana action...

I may just peddle mine, it is a 375 lenth action..if interrested...$650.00

Drop boxes are available for 375 and 416 Rem. from blackburn.

I will go another route for a 404, or just blow it off..

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .250 Savage for my wife and maybe a .284 Win or 7mm-08 for myself.

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've got two lefthand long actions in SS coming. Haven't made up my mind yet as to calibers, but am considering .338 WMag and .458 Lott. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
A .338 Win Mag LH SS Action, #5 26 inch barrel with a McMillian stock.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two SS short actions coming and I was planning on building matching rifles for myself and my best friend since we were 13, for our 50th birthdays. Sort of wanted an all around North American big game rifle caliber, nothing that'll require reloading.

Probably the .300WSM. It seems to have the best variety of loads.

Or maybe the 7mm WSM. Good for everything except big bears?

Help.

Recoil Rob

[ 05-03-2003, 07:39: Message edited by: Recoil Rob ]

Posts: 1691 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob,

I have a couple of SA M 1999's on order and one will be a WSM. I am going back and forth on what cartridge to pick like you. I already have a 7mm WSM (M70) so I think I will get a 270 WSM. This is not certain yet as I could always sell the M70 as it's only a Classic but it does shoot well. There are no flies on the 7mm WSM except for the fact that it's not popular.

The .300 WSM is here to stay it seems sure if that means anything to you. If you must make this particular WSM be a do it all and include "big bears" then consider that a 338 WSM might be announced.

Just get the 300 WSM. Better yet order some more actions and get them all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Recoil Rob,

The .300 WSM is here to stay it seems sure if that means anything to you. If you must make this particular WSM be a do it all and include "big bears" then consider that a 338 WSM might be announced.

Just get the 300 WSM. Better yet order some more actions and get them all.

Hi Rick,
The do-it-all aspect is mainly for my friend. This will be his only big game rifle beside a Win 94. I'd like to get him out on caribou, elk, pronghorn, mulies, etc. I don't think brown bears are part of the equation, so it's either the 7mm or 300.
I just checked Win. & Fed, and the only ammo available for the 300 is 150 & 180g.
Federal doesn't make 7mmWSM, but Win has 140, 150, &160. And this guy is NEVER going to handload.
I agree the .300 has a better chance of hanging around but I have a while to decide.

Rob

Posts: 1691 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote