Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the whitetail guys
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Two days ago, headed out to a local spot I thought looked good, about an hour an a half before sundown, armed with my ML. While in a reedy area heading for a rise, with a few inches of standing water with raised hummocky 'islands' around, jumped 6 deer. It was quite exciting, with me in the middle of whitetails bouncing all around me up from their little hidey holes in the reeds. Felt like I had just flushed a bunch of mallards. Smiler As I had no interest of arse-shooting a moving deer, just watched them bounce away smiling. Hunting 101 question from me: do you think after a few days' rest, what are the chances they'll be back? How best should I go about turning the lights out of one, you think? Lots of trails leading in and out of the area, and there's a week or so left of ML before regular firearm opens up. Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

TIA,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KG -

not sure how the WT deer act in your neck of the woods, but i am guessing that chances are they've already gone back "home" and have forgotten about your "intrusion." this would be even more likely if you are near a populated area and they have "nowhere else to go."

i'm no expert, but in my experience, WT deer, may get spooked, but they come home when they feel that any danger has passed. i would advise using what you learned about their behaviour and set yourself up at a time when you can catch them on their way to or from the bedding area.

also, keep in mind that whitetails seem to have quite a lot of nerve. they seem to wait until someone is right on top of them before they will bolt, but they will also get nervous if they think you see them. while still hunting, i've found it useful to work the brush thoroughly and pause every hundred yards or so; they seem to get to a point where they can't take it anymore and will betray their presence.

good luck!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did they blow at you?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My experience is that if they have only been 'disturbed' a single time in the bedding area, they will return. If they are run out several days in a row or even once a week for 4 or 5 weeks, they will probably move. Now that you know where they bed, figure out where they eat and find a good ambush spot between them. Good hunting!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Hey KG,
So close! I usually find that when deer get jumped like that they'll run a fairly short distance and then stop to look back and see if they are being chased. Often times a whistle will get them to take a look back as well.

Are you going to come out my way in NH for rifle season?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think they are right back where you found them. The cover you describe is very typical of a couple bedding areas on the property I hunt. Figure out a spot on the edge where you can set up a good ambush when they come out to feed in the evening, or when they head back in in the morning. Make sure you can get in and out to your spot without spooking them (not always as easy as it might sound).

If you don't mind getting hunting advice from a book, I highly recommend a few books by Greg Miller, a Wisconsin white tail hunter. Good luck!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another book suggestion would be "the art of hunting big game in north america," by Jack O'Connor - probably the most informative and interesting writing i have ever read on hunting.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They'll be right back where you jumped them. Little marshy spots like that are wonderful hiding places for WT, they can hear anything coming, along with scent and sight triggers. The marsh in eastern VA, along the woodline margin, was a great place to catch bedded deer on our two-man drives, and my best buck in that area came from the same situation. Sounds like you've got a good spot!
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly for the responses, gents. Got back there today from 1:00 or so to end of legal. Strange weather day in southern coastal NH. Had alternating bright sun, dustings of snow, sleet and light rain, all within a few hours. Alas, no sightings at the same locale I spoke of. Unless you count the eight deer I watched feeding contentedly on my way back to the truck after legal... Mad Big Grin

KG

P.S. Slug my good man, yes but hell yes. I'll be honored to see what we can do together.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitetails are creatures of habit, much the same as elk!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote