Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Cliff,

As a relatively new member, I agree with you. This ought to be a forum where you can honestly air your views (including contrary views) in an open atmosphere free from pesonal attack. I personally found the profane language of one response offensive in the extreme and would not continue to view or contribute to this forum if this was to be a regular occurence. In fact, the offending post probably violated the first rule of the forum (see http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/faq.php?Cat=#rules ) and I am very surprised that the moderator has not already stepped in.

Magnum308

Posts: 62 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Cliff, If you would like, I'll be glad to go back and delete all my posts to this thread, just let me know. Then you should be able to get nothing but glowing responses about how wonderful the "Holy Grail" (rag) Pre-64 M70s are.

On the other hand, if you are indeed interested in the truth, check out Mr. P.O. Ackley's "Handbook For Shooter's & Reloaders" prior to spending your money.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Wow.....there surely needs to be an enormous amount of perspective injected in this subject. I probably would defer to Allen Day on most things "pre-64" Model 70's. He has owned a significant collection of them at one time, and has hunted with them for years.

Beyond that, he provided fairly pragmatic posts to the aforementioned custom action thread on the gunsmithing forum. For one, that David Miller was instrumental in the design of the new Model 70 Classic action.......which design corrected a weakness in gas handling existing on the pre-64. In fact, all clones of the Model 70 action have some sort of modification that accomplishes the same.

That the model 70 is cloned is testament to it's soundness of design. Its 3-position safety is the standard of the industry, and it has one of the best triggers available on a commerically available rifle. Beyond Jack O'Connor (who certainly admitted the same), the .270 probably owes its popularity to it being offered in such a fine rifle as the model 70, as much as anything singularly great about the round itself.

So how serious are the metalurgy and gas-handling issues involved? Better ask Tracker12 or my brother Idared. They both had incidents. Apparently Tracker12 faired a bit better than Idared.

Is the pre-64 Model 70 the Holy Grail? I guess I don't have a big disagreement with the term. Most of our fine rifle actions are derivatives of the 98 Mauser. The Model 70 happens to be a very good one. I have an affinity for the 1903 Springfield. However, in modified form. And I modify them with features that are standard on the Model 70.

I've owned 3 pre-64's. One a pre-war, another a transition model. The third was a pristine .264 Magnum. A true 99%plus.......sorta wish I still had it.

Buy the gun if it strikes your fancy, Cliff. Be a prudent handloader and rifleman. (And that's good advice regardless the type or age of the action.)

Besides.......you're on the way to what Idared considers the necessary rifleman's battery.

Model 70 in .270
Mauser in 7x57
Springfield in 30-06

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Never have I heard of a problem with the metallurgy of these rifles, other than the reference to P.O. Ackley's rantings.

Hey Sheister, There is also a guy who frequents the GunSmith Board that has first-hand knowledge of the problems with the impurities in the (rag) Pre-64 M70s. I believe he posts as "Triggerguard1", but I could have that confused. His Dad was a GunSmith that apparently had to deal with a good many of them.

Ackley "ranting"? Obviously you have listened to the bilge-water tossed out by howl for way too long. howl is as wrong about Mr. Ackley as possible. I suppose he still continues to speak bad about "dead people" who have no chance to defend their comments. Come to think of it, it appears you have picked up this same trait. I've always thought better of you.

Quote:

The opinions I have heard about P.O. Ackley don't lend high credence to his skills as a metallurgist, ... I'm of the opinion that his dislike of the Pre 64 metallurgy was his way of passing on a wive's tale without sufficient proof. I'm quite sure that present day proof testing would show these actions to be quite capable of handling any load available commercially today and even overloads of moderate consequence, as with most rifles.

That is not what is shown in the Ackley Handbook. Perhaps if you would take the time to read it you might change your mind.

The blown-up action was drilled and the metal samples sent out for independant analysis which resulted in a judgement against Winchester for allowing it out of the factory. As far as I know, Winchester never recalled a single rifle for this serious defect.

There is also mention on the next page of the Featherweight 264WinMags (rag) Pre-64 M70s coming apart on thier own using factory ammo.

Quote:

Add to that the fact that most custom rifle makers are quite comfortable, and many prefer, to use the Pre 64 actions for some very high-dollar customs and I can't help but think that pitting P.O. Ackley's opinions against many present day builders with vastly better tools at their disposal creates a weak argument.

I had a discussion about this same exact point at the NRA Convention in 2000 with a few different GunSmiths. Interesting responses to say the least. I got everything from they are completely SAFE (just as you are saying) to I prefer not to work on them because they are UNSAFE. Most of those who didn't like them quoted to poor gas handling and one mentioned the steel problem. Had a big smile when one looked me square in the eye and said he prefered to work on the M70s because "I make more money" trying to fix them.

Of course the "gas handling problem" is designed in the (rag) Pre-64 M70 and can't be GunSmithed out unless they change it to a Push-Feed. Even then it is only partially addressed.

They all said they much prefered to work on current manufacture firearms irregardless of the manufacturer. One of my favorite GunSmiths is quite adamate about this issue. He will still work on older actions, but he and I agree the BIG problem is you just never know what kind of Pressures a Used Receiver has been subjected to. We both believe in "Cumulative Metal Fatigue" and you only have to look at some of the Loads being used by folks to understand why it concerns us.

---

Doesn't matter at all to me what anyone else shoots. If they want a (rag) Pre-64 M70, then I wish them the best. Or if they want to buy any "Used" firearm and count on it never having been subjected to repetitive Lunacy Loads, that is fine with me too.

Only seems fair to warn the Beginners about it though. And I do think it is proper to point out the inherent design weaknesses and potential for blow-ups for people who simply aren't aware of it. Then they can decide for themselves.

Nice thing about Mr. Ackley's books is they were written during the time all this was happening.

Best of luck to you and that 338WinMag. (Especially if it is a (rag) Pre-64 M70! )

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I am very surprised that the moderator has not already stepped in.

Hey Magnum308, The "moderators" at this site do not step on a person's right to Free Speach. If some folks choose to use language that offends you, there are a couple of options available. First off, no one wants you or Cliff to end up leaving this site. Generally speaking most folks tend to get along here and you will enjoy the sage wisdom you can happen upon from time to time.

If the gutter language that VG and jorge typically use to express their most profound intelligence totally offends you, you can open their post and go down to the bottom of it. There you will find a feature that allows you to "Ignore This Poster".

After awhile though, you learn who has nothing of value to offer. Then when you see their name along the left side of the screen it is a simple matter to just scroll right on past them without bothering to waste your time in the gutter reading things that make no sense anyhow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Oldmodel70, Yes indeed Mr. Ackley did like those back then. Darn shame he is gone and doesn't have an opportunity to work with the firearms being made today.

That is one of the best things about his books - they were written during the (rag) Pre-64 M70 era and relate clearly "some" of the inherent design problems associated with them.

I've been trying to locate a reasonably priced current manufacture 22"-24" 308Win M70 Featherweight in Stainless and Synthetic for quite a few years now. Everytime I do locate one in a GunShop, they value hanging onto it more than selling it to me. In fact, I've had 3 other rifles in 308Win since I started trying to get the S&S M70.

---

Just seems to me that a person should be exposed to "both sides" of a discussion so they can make a fully informed decision rather than buy something they might regret. For some reason, that seems to upset some folks.

Obviously you like the old (rag) Pre-64 M70s and I wish you well with them. Just way too many better designed and better made rifles out there today for "my money".

one of us
posted Hide Post
H C.....since we seem to be into name-dropping; Parker Ackley's favorite rifles (in terms of strength,)were surplus WWII Jap army rifles.....He claimed they were the hardest of any rifle to "blow-up." And if that's your only criteria for a prized collecter, or fine hunting rifle, well, go grab the "holy grail".........In my part of the country, you can get all you want for 60 bucks a piece. Oldmodel70

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I have a question about rifles which I probably should be posting in another forum, but I have received such great advice in this room on a post I made about hunting rifles, I would prefer to post it here.

I have found a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight, in .270wcf, for sale. The rifle was made in 1960 and is in really nice condition, good bore, wood, etc. It has a Leupold 3x9 scope and sling. The price is $795.00. The problem with this rifle is that the stock has been shortened to 11-3/4" LOP (trigger to back of recoil pad). There's a very good chance it will be too short for me. I know that you can build up the butt by adding as closely matched wood as possible until you reach the desired length, then adding a new butt or recoil pad. I'm assuming this could be unsightly - how can you match the wood to a 1960 Featherweight? This will just be a hunting rifle, so it doesn't have to be a perfect match, but having a really ugly butt on an otherwise nice Model 70 just wouldn't work for me. I also assume the shop fees for this would add at least another hundred, or more to the overall price. The question I have is do you think this is a good deal or should I wait and see if another .270 Featherweight pops up sometime in the future? It seems like pre-64 .270 Featherweights are getting hard to find and are commanding some pretty high prices.

I have two photos of this rifle that give a good view of the stock, but I have no way of uploading to this site.

I would surely appreciate your advice - again.

Thanks,

Cliff

Seattle

Posts: 15 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really like the rifle, go ahead and buy it. Maybe you can get the seller to lower the price somewhat because of the cutdown stock. Then look around for a good used original stock. They're not all that hard to find. I often see them at gun shows and they turn up on Ebay and the internet firearms auction sites quite often. Somebody here at AR may even have one.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I wouldn't try to match wood in an effort to create a spacer. You won't like the results.

What I would do is order an extra-thick recoil pad from Galazans. They offer what is call their "Correct Period" recoil pad, which is a solid red pad with a black base. This is very similar to the type of recoil pad Wihchester used on .375s, .338s, and .458s prior to 1964, and looks very nice. These "Correct Period" recoil pads are offered in either 1" or 1 1/2" thickness, the later being the one you want. This pad will increase your LOP to 13 1/4", which should serve you just fine, and the rifle will still look great. The original factory LOP for the M70 was 13 1/2", and in some cases 13 3/8".

Galazan's Customer Service:

1-800-515-4867

e-mail:

galazan@msn.com

AD

posted Hide Post
That's a great idea, AD. But just so you understand, there is already a substantial recoil pad on the rifle, which appears to be at least 3/4" thick. The LOP is from the trigger to the back of that recoil pad. If I installed a Galazans extra thick pad (1.5")I would have to remove the existing recoil pad, so the overall LOP after the installation would be at least 3/4" less than what you think it would be with the Galazans pad installed, or in other words, it would be 3/4" thinner than the 13-1/4" LOP you think it would be. Right? Math is not my subject, so maybe I've got this figured out incorrectly?

Thanks,
Cliff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliff, you've got mail. Okie John

posted Hide Post
Quote:

Cliff, you've got mail. Okie John

Thanks John. I've replied.
-C

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I have found a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight, in .270wcf, for sale. The rifle was made in 1960 and is in really nice condition, good bore, wood, etc. ...Cliff

Hey Cliff, Welcome Aboard!

So you are aware of my position, let me say right up front I'm no fan at all of the Pre-64 M70s. Way too many things wrong with them that folks who think they are the "Holy Grail" of rifles either ignore or overlook. Either situation is bad.

There is a similar thread running on the GunSmith Board right now about "Custom Actions" or some such thing. It was started by turfman if you want to check it out.

After I posted my response concerning the (rag) Pre-64 M70s, you can notice one of the "Holy Grail Experts" totally changing his position concerning the metallurgy and gas handling properties. Here is part of what I posted there:

...let me encourage you to obtain a copy of Mr. P.O. Ackley's "Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders". It is a two volume set and has a lot of interesting information in it.

One of the Chapters is entitled, "A Few Causes Of Blowups" and goes into an extenive list of things that can cause them. Interesting to me is it goes into great detail about the poor design issues associated with the metallurgically challenged (rag) Pre-64 M70s.

Take a look at the flick on page 36 in Volume 2 and then query the "Holy Grail Experts" if any of the (rag) Pre-64 M70s with the impurities in the receiver steel were ever recalled.

Then read the first full paragraph on page 37 concerning, "a well known featherweight type of rifle ...".

No need to take my word for how dangerous and worthless the (rag) Pre-64 M70s are, because Mr. Ackley says it very clearly.

---

Contrary to the above, I do like M70s, but they must be of "current manufacture".

Best of luck to you.