Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - Learning to Shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Interesting. A perfectly good topic on critiquing gun writers has degenerated into “gut pile” pictures of dead animals shot by small caliber rifles. I said the last time this subject came up that it wouldn’t be long before we were hearing about the merits of the 20 caliber as a deer round. There it is, right there on the back of an ATV. Neck blown to hell. I wonder what it would look like if the bullet hit a shoulder? Looking at the size of that deer, why not a 22 long rifle? It would have been cheaper and a lot less meat damage.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
Interesting. A perfectly good topic on critiquing gun writers has degenerated into “gut pile” pictures of dead animals shot by small caliber rifles. I said the last time this subject came up that it wouldn’t be long before we were hearing about the merits of the 20 caliber as a deer round. There it is, right there on the back of an ATV. Neck blown to hell. I wonder what it would look like if the bullet hit a shoulder? Looking at the size of that deer, why not a 22 long rifle? It would have been cheaper and a lot less meat damage.

+1

But I thought the thread was about Long Range Varmint Shooting practice as being "Essential" to becoming a good Big Game shot. I also thought the thread might be asking for other ways to accomplish this.

I must have misread HC's intial post.

Let's see:

quote:
But the Poll is about one specific "caption" for a picture in the article which says, "Long-range varmint shooting from field positions is essential to becoming a good big game shot." The specific word "essential" in that statement is what the Poll is about.

No, I'm wrong. It's about critiquing writers.

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey Mick,

why sugar coat it like that, why not tell me what you really think.

Perhaps I should have carried on my conversation with HotCore in the private messaging section, but alas I didn't.

On this ranch we cull inferior bucks. This was a morphodite spike. He needed culling. No chance of hitting him in the shoulder. He was 85 yds and I was shooting from a rest. This rifle will put three in a 1/2" at 100 on most anyday. I'd killed hogs with it before and was confident in both my ability and that of the rifle/bullet combo.
As to advocating shooting deer or any other game animal with a 22 or 20 cal. I defy you to do a search of any of my posts where I advocated the taking of deer sized game with 22 cal or below. I was simply enjoying a palaver with hot core about gunwriters flip-flopping and their giving advice and using self depricating humor to make a point.
As to the pictures, I'm sure the moderator will let me know if I've violated the rules of the forum, and I don't believe you are he.
A wise man once postulated that ""a soft answer turneth away wrath", so for now I'll leave it at that. If you would care to discuss anything else at length you can always PM me.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
advocating shooting deer or any other game animal with a 22 or 20 cal

Oh ya, I forgot that the "Learning to Shoot" poll was about this too. bewildered

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to advocating shooting deer or any other game animal with a 22 or 20 cal. I defy you to do a search of any of my posts where I advocated the taking of deer sized game with 22 cal or below.

Then what was the point of that picture?
"Spike cull taken with my Cooper classic in 20TAC"

Humor is one thing but I wrong about young people reading this forum and confusing our talk with reality. Young people don’t have the BS filters we have. Anything you post on the Web is forever!

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mick,

Hot Core is the author of this thread. In its original iteration it was a poll on whether long range shooting of ......... was "essential" to......
After an amount of posting, HotCore revealed the name of the author of the article to which he polled.
I along with several other stated that we liked John Barsness writing and generally found him to be credible. Toward the end of the thread I had a couple of back and forths with HotCore in gentlemanly fashion. I had spoken of using low magnification scopes with small objectives, HotCore had decried the use of 22 cal rifles for the taking of deer and believed in large objective scopes.
At other points in the thread HotCore had also decried the contradictions an flip-flops of "gunhacks".
I thought I pointed out in good humor, that maybe I could be a gunwriter in another life as I had contradicted myself at least a couple of times in a short paragraph. The use of the picture was not to promote the taking of game with a small caliber rifle.
Rather, it was to point out the use of a scope with a 50 mm objective on a petite rifle and the taking of a deer with a sub 22 cal rifle as a case in point. As I said in my previous response. It was not an advocation of killing game with a small caliber rifle but the attempt to inject humor into a conversation by way of self deprication.
Comprende? Hopefully so, cause that's all the 'splainin' I'm doing.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Humor is one thing but I wrong about young people reading this forum and confusing our talk with reality. Young people don’t have the BS filters we have.

Now you've gone and done it.

Killin' stuff is about as real as it gets. Maybe if more young people were exposed to the fact that "the life is in the blood", what a bullet can do to flesh and blood, and the fact that a bullet has no conscience nor plays favoites it might be better for them and us.
If you don't want your young un's exposed, keep 'em off the board. The last time I looked this was titled American Big Game Hunting, not Romper Room. If folks don't want to see blood, guts, gore and death, let them go somewhere's else. Don't let em' watch national geographic channel where you see deer being eaten alive by predators along with sound. Don't let em watch TV, cause the shit there is much worse than seeing a picture of a dead animal.
Get over it dude.
GWB

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now you've gone and done it.
Killin' stuff is about as real as it gets.

I feel comfortable about my kills enough NOT to take pictures of them. What ever gets you through the day. I’m to busy trying to safe the meat from flies, predators, heat, and time to worry about pictures. But it’s good that you can find the time, good for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I, unlike you(admittedly), am comfortable enough to take pix of the game I kill, and have the skills to use those pix to amplify, illustrate and document the accuracy and veracity of my posts.
GWB

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Maybe that’s why my meat tastes better than yours?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mick,
In response to your edited post, I thought it got cold in Colorado in the fall and winter. At least when I was there it was.
Oh well, the spike was skinned and washed down within an hour of the time he was shot. It was in the 30's as I recall and I let him hang all nite. Quartered him up the next morning and put him in the cooler. Butterflied backstraps, roast and jerky out of the hinds, hamburger and sausage out of the flank shoulders and neck.
By the way, with a digital camera, it only takes about thirty seconds to take a couple of photos. Game usually doesn't spoil in that length of time. I generally keep a camera in my pack so I can get shots of game, sunsets and other natural phenomena, even occasional dead animals.
Best
GWB

PS: I guess I could be crude and say whoa, don't go there when it comes to the taste of "your meat", but that would be vulgar and pedestrian.
I'm outta here, as this has become ridiculous. I don't know why I let myself be drawn into this. I guess it was out of respect for you and your posts in the past.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm outta here, as this has become ridiculous.

Yup! pretty much.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Some Texan is going to tell me about hunting in Colorado? I’m willing to listen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading a good many articles, I " FINALLY " found something barsness wrote that I can completely agree with Big Grin:

On Digital Cameras that have Optical Stabalization( I think he called it something else, but it meant the same), it works great to prevent blurred pictures. thumb
-----

And concerning the original thread, I still believe Practice, from Field Type positions, is necessary to get to the point that you can place the Bullet exactly where you want it. "R's" method is excellent. So is shooting Targets at the Range and general Plinking.

In fact, the only shooting I can think of that can cause damage is shooting any firearm with more Recoil than a person has worked up to. And I'm no fan at all of the Lead Sled as it conditions the user to believe the firearm is just too much for him to shoot - comfortably. He will never become proficient with his firearm using a Lead Sled because of the Mental concerns about the Recoil.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,

Last night’s little spat went places I really didn’t intend to go.

As far as John Barsness goes, I’ve read a few articles by him over the years and I don’t have a strong feeling about him, one way or the other.

We do take pictures but we don’t spend much time taking them for the most part and I don’t post them on the web. After all what’s the big deal about a cow elk or doe.

As far as flies go, I don’t know how the little bastards survive but we had flies in November’s 4th season. Certainly not as many as in earlier seasons but they were still there.

It sounds like you take care of your game meat just fine and that little buck was pretty good eating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mick,
no problem.
PM Sent
GWB