THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    .270 Win adequate big game cartridge?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Win adequate big game cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
To twist the argument a little, let's say you win an all-expense-paid brown bear hunt with the caveat that you have to use a 270. Would you turn it down? I would not but I would spec my own ammo.

I'd would NOT pass it up! I'd dang sure be loading my own though!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly!
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Maybe we can ask this question in a different way. Can You Shoot? Yes or No

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:
Exactly!

Well, you're only 10 years late to the conversation...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum308:
I have recently acquired a Winchester pre 64 M70 fwt in .270 Win (from the US). Here in Australia we have ADI powder (repakaged for the US market as Hodgdson). I cannot get AR2213SC (H4831SC in the US) to shoot with 130 or 140 gr bullets (Hornady). I tried AR2209 (H4350 in the US) and it shoots keyhole groups . One group with 130 gr FB interlocks (stock #2730),doesn't like the SSTs though, measured 0.216" (3 shots @ 100 yards) this gave an average MV = 3,095fps

The 140 gr Hornay SPBT (stock# 2735) shoots well too (most groups under 1" and one @ 0.573") with an average MV = around 2,950 fps. Although this MV is only moderate the higher BC and weight give almost identical tradjectory to 500 yards as, but about 200flbs more energy than, the 130gr bullet.

As you can see from my previous post it's quite a hitter at 400 yards (which I consider absolute maximum for the .270 Win).

I haven't tried the 150 gr bullet weight yet.

So I guess, so far, the powder for my rifle is 4350 not 4831.

Cheers & Good bless
Magnum308

You need to try some Ramshot Magnum or Reloader 17 in your 270.You will not believe the MV and accuracy.I think the Magnum is made Down Under!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'm working on some loads for my friend's 270 right now. He probably won't ever leave Texas again to hunt (wife took his pants), but I told him the loads I'm doing for him - 150 gr Northfork SS - will be good for deer through elk, moose, and African PG. And he can shoot extremely well. Not an easy feat for a right handed guy that shoots left handed because of his right eye. He tried many times to compensate and shoot right handed with his left eye, but it never worked well. And he didn't want to use an offset scope. The current setup works well for him.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly!
quote:

Hunter54
What is your fascination with dredging up 10 year old threads.?
I've seen several now that have been resurrected from 10 years gone by.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Exactly!
quote:

Hunter54
What is your fascination with dredging up 10 year old threads.?
I've seen several now that have been resurrected from 10 years gone by.

Troll...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigRx:
Man! Lots of opinion here!

There is a thread just above this one on favorite "hunting one liners" I figured mine better fit here.........

The year was either '58 or '59. Bill Kirkendahl hunted elk more than anyone I knew (and probably have known) He worked at the same place as my father and I. Bill sometimes hunted three states for his annual quest of elk.
One of his hunts that year was in Colorado. He had hunted with a doctor friend and others for several years there.
The doctor had a then brand new .338 Win Mag.
Bill was with doc when doc shot his elk opening morning. The next day Bill was hunting with the doctor's new gun. Bill got his elk, a six point bull. Bill and the doctor were so impressed with the performance that the new .338 got passed on to others in the group. All told, five hunters bagged their bull with the doctor's gun.

Upon returning home and to work, Bill ran onto my father and excitedly told him the elk story. My father's comment would plague me for about the next year...............
"My boy has one of those .338's."

The Model 70 in .338 was hard to find when first out I guess, and Bill "pounded" me to sell him mine! The closer to hunting season the worse it got. he finally found one before Colorado!

I will never forget his one liner we all grew so tired of hearing that first year in 58 or 59 when Bill had his first "taste" of the .338 on elk....

"Man, that .338 hits elk like my .270 does deer."

That's how it was 50 years ago; that's how it is today.......

BigRx

Excellent explaination!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the all time greats which is also one of the best sellers. There's a reason for that, it kills game dead.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've killed elk with the 338 WM, I've killed elk with the 270... they all died.

The rest is for the pilgrims.