Notify
Tools

Re: HOW MANY SPECIES CAN YOU BAG??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I'm not sure about California

I think CA might have the greatest diversity of native big game available if we get all taxanomic. And probably the greatest diversity of habitat types in North America. There's enough to keep you busy.

Just the legal take species are,

2 bucks- of which you have a choice of 6 sub-species depending on zone and draw, Rocky Mountain mule deer in northeastern California, Columbian black-tailed deer along the coast, Inyo mule deer of the southern Sierra Nevada, California mule deer in most of Southern California, Southern mule deer in San Diego County, and Burro mule deer along the Colorado River.

Elk- 3 subspecies, Tule elk, Roosevelt elk and Rocky Mountain elk.

Nelson's desert bighorn sheep

Pronghorn antelope

Black bear- 2 subspecies, the northwestern black bear (Ursus americana altifrontalis) and the California black bear (U. a. californiensis)

And of course our non-indigenous friends, the feral pigs, on which there is no limit.

Then there are varmints a'plenty, with gray fox, bobcats, coyotes, coons, possums, skunks and a whole bunch of shootable rodents.

Then the small game- brush, cottontail and pigmy rabbits, varying hare and black-tailed and white-tailed jack rabbits, Western gray squirrels, Eastern gray squirrels and Eastern fox squirrels. And I'm not sure if Northern flying squirrels are a legal take species, but they're nocturnal and seldom seen even though there's a bunch of them.

Upland birds- Sage grouse, blue grouse and ruffed grouse, California quail, Gambel's quail and mountain quail, white-tailed Ptarmigan, chukar, band-tailed pigeons, mourning doves, white-winged doves, American crow, common snipe and wild turkey.

And lots and lots of waterfowl.

The big game species (kinda) I'd like to be able to take are harbor seals and California sea lions. Even a Pacific white-sided dolphin hunt would be pretty cool, I'd modify a VZ-24 to use a blank to propel a harpoon attached to a float and get all camoed out as a sensitive Greenpeace kayaker cruising the surf line till I found a pod feeding on smelt, paddle up and BOOM...................

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I bet the Texans have the longest list with all their exotics. You might be able to bag 100+ species if you can afford it.

I'm not sure about California, but I believe it's An Elk, Bighorn, Antelope, 2 Deer, Boars (unlimited I think) and some others I'm sure I've forgot. I'm sure somebody will give you a more accurate detailed idea than I can. I tend to go out of state for my hunts.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Dalls sheep (1 per year)
Mountain goat (1 per year)
Brown bear (1 or 2 per year in some areas or 1 every four yrs)

black bear (up to 3 per year)
moose (1 per year)
caribou (up to ten a day in some areas, 1-5 per year most areas)

deer (up to 5 per year)
bison ( 1 every 5 years)
musk ox (1 per year)
elk (one per year)

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote