THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Do any western states have over the counter tags

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any western states have over the counter tags
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
I have been trying to search the internet and does every state in the west which has Elk, Mule Deer, or pronghorm also require a lottery?

Are there any states that you can buy over the counter tags for those animals.

I am talking free range animals.

Thank you for your help,

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado has lots of OTC elk tags.
Idaho has some OTC elk tags.
Montana is a drawing, but last year there were quite a few left over combo elk/deer tags that were sold first come first serve.

I don't think you will find any OTC mule deer or pronghorn.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oregon has OTC tags for coast elk

Posts: 1096 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CO and ID are the two main states with OTC tags. But several others have more limited tags available without a draw. Archery tags in UT for deer and elk, OR coastal elk as already mentioned, WY has leftover tags for antelope, elk and deer each year, etc. Just because a state has a draw doesn't mean their aren't other oportunities.
Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are also over-the-couter elk permits in Utah for the general firearms season. You have to choose a "spike bull" or "any bull" area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to OTC elk tags, Colorado has OTC archery antelope tags.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your answers and cutting through the fog of information.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot03,

As a non resident there are many opportunities in the west to get a guaranteed tag or a leftover tag for multiple species but in a lot of case you will need a guide to access these areas. Much of the land is private and tied up by the outfitters. If you are looking for something DIY that could be a problem but if your looking for a guided hunt you probably can get a tag for about any species your interested in.

Contact me anytime if you have questions about any of this.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Not that it helps much, but you can buy OTC deer tags in NM to hunt private land. There are also landowner certificates for elk and antelope, but if you want big bulls and bucks, they're gonna cost you. You can pick up a landowner certificate for a cow elk for a pretty decent price in some units.

As stated above, check WY for leftovers after the draw. I picked up a leftover antelope buck tag last year, and relying just on walk-in areas and scarce public land, managed to take a decent little buck.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Washington has OTC tags for Deer & Elk.
Lots of forest service ground and also fish & game owned land to hunt.

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
We in Idaho offer a Wolf tag for non residents for a whole $31.75 over the counter of course.

Damn I wonder what that was brought on by Roll Eyes bewildered

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote