New
Find
Notify
Tools

NM Antelope - Gerald Seward ranch
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just recieved my ranch assignment from NM- the Gerald Seward ranch in the NE, unit 55, generaly near Raton. Has anybody hunted this ranch or know anything about it?

Thanks,

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lp, can't help but thought I would take a ride with you on this post as several NM residents drop in from time to time.

I was assigned AMU 19 on the Muncy Ranch. I know it is mostly Socorro County and has some good antelope in general but no idea as to the specific ranch in question.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted it but my partner did last year. He picked up a nice 17 inch buck.

His report on the ranch was pretty good.

Wish I had more I could add.

LumberJackHog

one of us
posted Hide Post
LumberJackHog, thanks for making the response and your first on AR, welcome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LumberJackHog,

Thanks for the report. I have heard nothing (good or bad) so any feedback is appreciated.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted either ranch, but both are in good units and typically produce book class bucks. Socorro county produces some real giants and may prove to be a very interesting hunt. I have hunted both sides of where you are and alwasy seen very good bucks. How big are the ranches you guys are assigned to?

Posts: 35 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, thanks for the input. The ranch I am hunting in unit 18 is 33,000 acres and I drew the lone permit out of the state draw. Do not know how many landowner tags the ranch is given however. I expect several.

I was told by a friend (outfitter) that it has been a very dry spring and that may hinder the regrowth of horns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to look on the NM wildlife dept. web site and see how many landowner tags were given on each ranch. I would be surprised if there were very many if there is only one state tag. Seems it is usually 50/50 on the tags public to private. That could be one awesome tag. I do not think antelope are nearly as negatively impacted by dry weather as other antlered game. Good Luck, hope to see pics !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I don't have the acreage figures, but was told the ranch I am assigned has a total of 19 tags, 5 of which went in the public draw. Not quite a 1:1 ratio. I realize this general area should have good antelope, but also understand that individual management plans can have a great effect.
Thanks for the input.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill did someone from NMDGF give you the info on your unit? Others? I would like to know for my unit 18 as it may have some impact on my decision to hire or not a guide for my hunt.

Thanks for the info and for sharing your thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
llamapacker, I should have explained my post better. The tags vary dependent on the amount of public/BLM land within the ranch that the ranch leases. It has been my experiance in the SW part of the state on the 1:1, but I am certainly not an expert ( I have proven that) LOL. When writing that I thought about a ranch that I hunted near Springer that was just as you noted on the ranch you are assigned to at about 15 to 5, that ranch did by the way produce B&C bucks, so I still have hope you guys will post us some big antelope pics !!!

Good Luck and I look forward to your report.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The G&F supposedly does a population survey to determine the population on each ranch, then establishes an acceptable hunter-induced mortality. Then they allocate those tags based on the amount of private vs. public land on the ranch. So, if a fellow has a 10,000 acre ranch, with 6,000 acres of deeded land, 60% of the tags allocated to that ranch will be landowner authorizations. The other 40% will go into the public draw.

This is they way it was explained to me by ranchers that participate in the program.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muygrande,

The info I posted was relayed from a Game and Fish employee in the Raton office. It appears the private hunters can hunt other days as well, so it is unlikely all will be hunting at the same time. Honestly, I never considered hiring a guide for this hunt. Antelope hunts are very easy to arrange yourself.

Getting much more info on the ranch is something of a problem, however. I have the contact number but the phone just rings and rings, no machine and no answer. I have been told by NMFG to expect a mailing which will "answer all my questions". I guess this is another exercise in patience....

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, my only desire to go a guide route is that I know an honest one in the area and if this ranch has bonifide B&C potential I want to give myself as good a chance as possible in taking one of them. I do have the phone # for the ranch owner but am waiting to see if I get a ranch map, info, etc. in the upcoming "mailing" before calling the owner for info.

DR, thanks again for sharing your knowlede of NM hunting. Based on the percentage deal if only one public draw permit issued this 33,000 acre ranch either has very few antelope or must be mostly deeded land or both? Did I read your data correctly in making my assumptions?

Joe

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Your analysis is correct. I suspect that most of the ranch is private. The only public tag I have drawn was in a 14,000 acre ranch, which had about 11,500 acres of deeded land. I was the only public hunter on that ranch, which I shared with four (maybe five?) private hunters. They did little to enhance my experience, if you know what I mean... Mad

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DR, thanks again for your insight. One think I noticed when I was galncing thru the public draw for antelope was that most all the ranches, irregardless of size, had only one MB listed as drawn.

Yes, I understand "which did little" as it probably will for me.