Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado elk season info
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
I will be going to Colorado some time this fall, I have a friend in Ouray which is south of Montrose. He runs jeep tours. He tells me that he's been seing some elk up high on his tours. Does Colorado still offer over the counter elk tags?? Their fish and game web site is very confusing. It looks like almost everything is by draw only. If they do offer over the counter tags, are they good for either sex ??? I already took a big bull in AZ (336 B&C) and unless I find a 360-380 class bull, I would probably opt for a cow instead due to eating quality. Any specifics on where to hunt in this area would also be appreciated. Thanks.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All cow tags are on a drawing. Bull tags are available over the counter in certain areas. Check with the Colorado Division of Wildlife at the link below.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado offers over the counter tags for bull in the 2nd - 4th seasons. Cow tags are availble through the drawing which has passed, and as leftover licenses. Download the leftover license list to see what is available.
The elk in the high country your buddy was seeing will have moved on by the time the second regular rifle season starts. The first rifle season is draw only and it only takes a couple of shots before they head down into timber. With the snow that has been falling they will also tend to move down some. Ouray area is mostly private land down low with few areas where permission is available. You might do well on the benches up above the canyons, but getting one out without trespassing could be interesting.
Good luck.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote