Notify
Tools

Don't buy this Product
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
10-21-03

Peak Antifreeze Support Anti-Hunters

A member of our chapter recently bought four gallons of Peak Antifreeze. It was a good deal offering a $1 per gallon rebate. Later on, while filling out the rebate form he noticed you could either request the $4 rebate, or donate it to the American Humane Association (AHA). Upon checking out the AHA web site, here are some of the things they had to say about hunting:

*Bear baiting is an unsporting, unethical, and barbaric practice used by trophy hunters to lure bears to food to shoot them point-blank.

*As many animal advocates know, the vast majority of animals that die in these barbaric traps are used for luxury fur garments.

*American Humane opposes the hunting of any living creature for fun, trophy, or for simple sport. American Humane believes that sport hunting is a form of exploitation of animals for the entertainment of the hunter and is contrary to the values of compassion and respect for all life that inform American Humane's mission.

*American Humane considers sport hunting a violation of the inherent integrity of animals and disruptive of the natural balance of the environment through human manipulation, and calls for positive action to be taken to prevent such cruelties

Needless to say, the anti-freeze was returned to the store immediately, with an explanation to the store manager. Not only that, but this member had the good sense to call Edward Powderly (Brand Manager, PEAK Performance Products) to express his displeasure with the company's promotion.

First off, Mr. Powderly claimed that the AHA did not have a stance against hunting and that they were being confused with the HSUS... ...Then he was read the quotes from the AHA website.

Next, Mr. Powderly claimed that although they might have an anti-hunting stance that they are not actively involved in putting a stop to hunting...

...Then the numerous legislative anti-hunting bills that the AHA is actively lobbying for (per their website) was pointed out to him.

Next, Mr. Powderly claimed that the money generated from his promotion was going to be a very small amount compared to the AHA's total budget...

...To which the point was made very clear that the principle of even one penny of a hunter's money going to fund such activities is entirely unacceptable and that this practice will not be tolerated by America's sportsmen.

At that point, and running out of lame excuses, Mr. Powderly became rather smug, at one point stating that if a small group of hunters don't want to buy Peak antifreeze, that's fine... buy another brand... many of them are made by Peak and we wouldn't even know we were buying it.

It was suggested to Mr. Powderly that they be more careful who they are giving money to. He stated that this promotion was only going to last about another month and a half (until December), as if that were a good thing. Let's make it a month and a half Mr. Powderly and Peak antifreeze will not forget!

ACTION:

Peak is evidently not aware that there are millions of hunters across the country, and that we are indeed a segment of the population that requires some respect when it comes to "politically correct" promotions. We will not tolerate having our discretional expense money being turned over to those who aim to put an end to our traditional, family-oriented, hunting lifestyle, and to North America's extremely successful wildlife management system, which is primarily funded by sportsman. We need to hit them hard! Let's assure this type of "mistake" doesn't happen again. Please forward this message to all outdoor sports enthusiast on your list.

To contact Peak go to: http://www.peakantifreeze.com/email.htm

An extended list of products produced under other names by Peak include the following: (see http://www.peakantifreeze.com )

1. Advance Antifreeze
2. All Weather Antifreeze
3. Final Charge Global Extended Life
4. Fleet Charge Antifreeze
5. Fleet Charge Pre-Mixed
6. Full Force Antifreeze
7. Peak Antifreeze
8. Peak Ready Use
9. Peak Extended Life
10. Peak RV & Marine Antifreeze
11. Peak Windshield Wash
12. Peak Ultra Melt
13. Sierra Antifreeze

Added to this Alert by Moderator:

Peak Parent company:

Old World Industries, Inc. Company Profile:

Old World Industries is taking a progressive lead in the production of chemicals. The company is the #2 US antifreeze maker (after Honeywell, maker of Prestone) and the only vertically integrated antifreeze producer. Old World's antifreezes include Peak and Sierra (the latter is marketed to parents and pet owners as a safer alternative antifreeze), as well as private labels. Old World also makes deicers, pickup bed liners (Herculiner), windshield wiper blades (SmartBlade), and spark plugs (SplitFire). The company's chemicals unit is a leading maker of ethylene glycol (used in antifreeze), ethylene oxide, and liquid caustic soda. Chairman and CEO Tom Hurvis and Riaz Waraich own Old World.

Contact Information:
Address: 4065 Commercial Ave.
Northbrook, IL 60062
Phone: 847-559-2000
Fax: 847-559-2266

Key People:
. Chairman and CEO: J. Thomas Hurvis
. President: James (Jim) Bryan
. CFO: Brian Schweigel

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/47/47092.html

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for update. It was about time to have radiator flushed and winterized. I will make sure that Peak or their products aren't used.

Posts: 896 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sent this message to them.

"I understand that you have a promotion that supports American Humane Association and I know that they are actively anti hunter. I am a hunter and you have just found a new enemy. I will never use your product again and will encourage all of my friends to do the same.

Charles Worthing"

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will research it further, and act accordingly. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone spell Prestone? [Frown]

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here was my reply that was e-mailed to Peak:

Because of your promotions to support Anti-hunting organizations like the American Humane Association (AHA), I cannot buy your products in good conscience, until this type of activity ceases!
Remember, Hunters were the FIRST conservationists. Yelling loud, and hugging a tree or bunny, does not address the science needed to maintain healthy game populations in this country. Hunters working with biologist and local game commissions, do just that every year. Your company can support us, or we will support another company with our hard earned dollars.
Mark G.

[ 10-23-2003, 18:19: Message edited by: Mark G ]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mark,

That was very well written. They got an email from me too.

[ 10-23-2003, 19:04: Message edited by: Aspen Hill Adventures ]

Posts: 19239 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job! My Email is on the way.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mickey 1.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd put my $.02 in...

"It has come to my attention that your company is running a rebate special with the option to donate all or part of one's rebate to the AHA.

As a hunter, rancher, and large farmer, not only do I use a very large quantity of antifreeze and other Old World Company products, I have also seen firsthand the ecological damage done by certain well-meaning but uninformed concervation groups.

Anti-hunters use fear and fabricated "facts" to push their agenda upon unsuspecting citizens, and I will not allow my dollars to support such organizations. You can count on my business going elsewhere in the future."

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy this kind of thing really pisses me off. Mostly because they try to hide what they are up to and use our own money against us. FWIW, here is my email.

To whom it may concern:
I have recently learned of a rebate promotion that you are running in the support of the American Humane Association. I would like to voice my extreme disgust with your company and its underhanded tactics to raise money for a radically anti-hunting group such as AHA.
If Peak feels the desire to support groups such as AHA, Peak is free to do so in the form of a corporate donation. DO NOT think that Peak can pull the wool over the eyes of America's sportsmen to the extent that we will fund the very organizations that have as their express goal to change our way of life. We are much brighter than you can imagine. After all, we are the ones who are able sneak within feet of a deer in his own habitat and take him with one well-placed shot.
None of my friends, family, the thousands of hunters I will contact or I will ever use one of your products or that of you parent company, Old World Industries. Contrarily, we will fight to our dying breath organizations like AHA for the freedom we hold dear; freedom upon which this nation, which provides you with the opportunity to peddle your garbage and cover up your political agendas, was built on.
We will be watching.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just sent them an e-mail also. I manage a store that sells antifreeze produced by OWI. I let them know that I will no longer stock any of their products. I will also tell all of my hunting customers. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
<whisler>
posted
another e-mail on the way, wonder if they truly understand the world of today. In 3 minutes I can reach out and touch hundreds who in turn will do the same.....

one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Added my two bits.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Told them I certainly wasn't going to use their products to keep my trusty 4WD hunting vehicle cool.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Here's my reply:

I have just learned that your company provides a rebate that can be given to the American Humane Association.

As a conservationist and hunter all of my life, I realize the importance of hunting as a legitimate wildlife management tool and will continue to support that position in the future with my spending dollar.

I was just about to have my truck flushed and the antifreeze replaced. I will guarantee you that it will not be with a Peak antifreeze product! In addition, I am making all of my friends, both personal and internet hunting forum friends, aware of your anti-hunting stance.

You might be surprised at the number of hunters who used to buy your product. I hope so!

I'm off to the store to buy some Prestone!

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
My email has been sent. I sure won't buy their product any longer.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up!
Sent an email and I'll be a loyal Prestone user from now on. Think they'll get the hint?
Blacktailer

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up! Here is mine:

Since you have chosen to donate money to an anti-hunting organization, the American Humane Association, you may be assured that I will never purchase any of the following products. I will also post this information on the hunting message board that I own. I don't know what is worse, your doing it in the first place, or Mr. Powderly's "I don't care" attitude.

Bob Connell
San Antonio, TX

1. Advance Antifreeze
2. All Weather Antifreeze
3. Final Charge Global Extended Life
4. Fleet Charge Antifreeze
5. Fleet Charge Pre-Mixed
6. Full Force Antifreeze
7. Peak Antifreeze
8. Peak Ready Use
9. Peak Extended Life
10. Peak RV & Marine Antifreeze
11. Peak Windshield Wash
12. Peak Ultra Melt
13. Sierra Antifreeze

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone spell Prestone? [Frown]

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations All! Ahh ... the power of "AR"!
The following email response arrived this morning:

It has recently come to our attention that the hunting community is upset
about one of our company�s products, Sierra antifreeze, which has a
sponsorship with the American Humane Association (AHA). Our intention with
getting involved with the AHA several years ago, was to bring awareness to
families of pets and children about a safer antifreeze, Sierra, due to it�s
less toxic nature vs. conventional ethylene glycol based antifreeze. Every
year approximately 100,000 pets/animals die from ingesting conventional
antifreeze off of garage floors and driveways. The objective was awareness
of a safer solution to this, not to alienate the hunting and outdoorsman
community. Unknown to us, the AHA has apparently taken some active stances
against certain rights of hunters. Upon hearing this, we have made a
decision to sever our sponsorship with the AHA. Thank you for bringing
this to our attention and we hope you�ll continue to support Old World
Industries products like Sierra antifreeze and other PEAK performance
products.

Sincerely,
Sierra Antifreeze

[ 10-24-2003, 20:46: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
SAME Here...just got it!

about one of our company’s products, Sierra antifreeze, which has a
families of pets and children about a safer antifreeze, Sierra, due to it’s
this to our attention and we hope you’ll continue to support Old World
products.

Sincerely,
Sierra Antifreeze

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
I got the same.

Writing works.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how Mr. Powderly is taking all of this.

Congratulations guys, I hope they are serious.

I posted this on three forums and all got a very good response of letters and emails.

Who's next?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good work folks...It was over before I found out about it!! I can see where their ad campaign idea came from, and it might not have been a bad idea... But it had some unintended consequences. Still, they appear to have gotten on it right qquick, and for that they deserve a bit of a round of applause.

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also recieved an email and the American Humane Soc has been dropped, due to pressure from the hunting community...if they are telling the truth.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wayyy to go! This should be done every time some company thinks they are "donating" to a cause.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 19239 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a return e-mal from these folks saying they are dropping their affiliation with AHA. Thay said their concern was for pets injured or killed by ingesting antifreeze, and did not realize AHA was antihunting. Way to go Hunters!

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
E-Mail sent! [Mad]

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Fair is fair. Now I think it incumbent on me to buy Sierra antifreeze.

kk

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up Mickey. Just sent in my .02 worth. You could'nt have hit it at a better time. Phil

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
<Mike Griffin>
posted
Not to rain on anyones parade. BUT has anyone contacted the American Humane Association to see if this seperation has in fact occurred. The Peak Corp has not convinced me that just by making a statement, we are to accept it as gospel. Remember they can talk out of both sides of their mouth.
Mike Griffin, Cynical in OK.
My sincerest apologies if I am wrong. and I truly hope I am.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A NASCAR driver who hunts publicly criticizing them would be sweet.... [Smile]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
As a Mayor, I just sent a very strong letter to... and will thru my membership pass along to all govermental agencies in Pennsylvania as to not buy any product from Peak or its subsidaries...

Regards,

Michael Podwika
Mayor
Wyoming, Pa.

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Garbage.

If they are lying about curtailing their support to AHA, they are taking a huge risk. Much better they should tell us to kiss off.

As for telling governmental bodies not to buy after the company has capitulated seems punitive, not corrective.

kk

<tasunkawitko>
posted
this is a little long, but bear with me -

-------------------------------

i got a reply from peak, but have to admit that i am a bit disappointed. here is what i sent>>>

-----------------------

Submitted by ronald fischer(ron@baitshopboyz.com) on Fri Oct 24 17:47:38
-----------------------------------------------------------------

comments: i am writing this in order to give you a chance to respond to the
allegations that you (as a company) are aligned with people who are
anti-hunting. this allegation stems from your recent promotion which
includes a donation to the american humane society. you may or may not be
aware, but the american humane society is very much against hunting in
america. with millions of hunters tuning up and winterizing their vehicles
right now, i am not sure if it is a good time to have a promotion in which
money from sales is donated to the AHA. the MILLIONS of hunters who pay
5-10 dollars per gallon of antifreeze would not be happy to think that in
buying your product, they are, in effect funding an organization which is
commited to the destruction of an activity which they hold dear. i could
give you many examples showing the positive effect of hunting, and if you
want them, you will be supplied with them. suffice to say that it is an
american tradition which has been embedded i!
n american culture long before we were even a country, and there is still a
VERY healthy population of game animals in america.

i am sure that you have received many emails regarding this, but please
take a moment to read this passage below:

----------------------
[T]he anti-freeze was returned to the store immediately, with an
explanation to the store manager. Not only that, but this member [proceeded
to] call Edward Powderly (Brand Manager, PEAK Performance Products) to
express his displeasure with the company's promotion.

First off, Mr. Powderly claimed that the AHA did not have a stance against
hunting and that they were being confused with the HSUS... ...Then he was
read the quotes from the AHA website.

Next, Mr. Powderly claimed that although they might have an anti-hunting
stance that they are not actively involved in putting a stop to hunting...

...Then the numerous legislative anti-hunting bills that the AHA is
actively lobbying for (per their website) was pointed out to him.

Next, Mr. Powderly claimed that the money generated from his promotion was
going to be a very small amount compared to the AHA's total budget...

...To which the point was made very clear that the principle of even one
penny of a hunter's money going to fund such activities is entirely
unacceptable and that this practice will not be tolerated by America's
sportsmen.

At that point, and running out of lame excuses, Mr. Powderly became rather
smug, at one point stating that if a small group of hunters don't want to
buy Peak antifreeze, that's fine... buy another brand... many of them are
made by Peak and we wouldn't even know we were buying it.

It was suggested to Mr. Powderly that they be more careful who they are
giving money to. He stated that this promotion was only going to last about
another month and a half (until December), as if that were a good thing.
-----------------------
mr powderly may not be good at math, but many hunters across america are.
it would be wise for someone to explain this to him. as an aside, i can
assure you that the "other brand names" manufactured by peak are public
knowledge, and are circulating the entire country at this very moment on
hunting-related internet boards.

in conclusion, i would like to say that i believe the original intention
was honorable, considering the MANY domestic animals that are killed every
year from accidental ingestion of antifreeze. i recognize these good
intentions; however, i did want to make you aware of the situation,
ESPECIALLY THE ATTITUDE EXPRESSED BY MR. POWDERLY.

i look forward to your reply, and have faith that you will do the right
thing.

thank you for your time, and have a good weekend.

ronald fischer
lewistown, montana
-----------------------------------------

and here is what i got in reply>>>

---------------------------

about one of our company�s products, Sierra antifreeze, which has a
families of pets and children about a safer antifreeze, Sierra, due to it�s
this to our attention and we hope you�ll continue to support Old World
products.

Sincerely,

SIERRA Antifreeze
epowderly@oldworldind.com

---------------------------------------------

considering that i got a form letter which regurgitated everything i said to them, i think they could ahve done better. i have my doubts about their sincerity, but i guess that if they DID sever ties with the AHA, then i can't really ask for much more. the irony of it all is that this reply came from none other than mr. powderly. i wonder if they have him saying hail mary's too.....

[ 10-28-2003, 02:21: Message edited by: tasunkawitko ]

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
After reading thru this thread and thinking about how to more effectively demonstrate the power of an informed consumer I would offer a few thoughts... Has anyone contacted the Chain Stores like WalMart Target KMart or the various Auto Supply Chains that are the primary retailer of Peak Antifreeze and the other products made by the parent company????? If Not ...Why Not?????? Consumer Leverage is a what a Consumer Goods Manufacter fears most and is best applied at the Manufacter's retail outlets. Your local newspaper Outdoor Columnists are also a good resource if they are strong supporters of the efforts of Outdoors people, I know that the outdoor editor of my local papers will be getting some mail asap! Just some thoughts from an old road warrior that sold to these same chain retailers for many years. Let the guys at Peak lose a WalMart placement or even some shelf facings and then see who pays attention. And thats what my EMails to Peak will be saying ... Thanks for the heads up!!
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote