THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    .270 Win. Bullets for the Larger Big-Game Species

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Win. Bullets for the Larger Big-Game Species
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted
Conventional wisdom has it that 150-gr. bullets in the .270 Win. are suitable for the larger species of North American big game. But there are a lot of differences among 150-gr. bullets, and I'm wondering what you experienced hunters favor in the .270 Win.

Two candidates that come to mind are (a) the 150-gr. Swift A-Frame (with its bonded front core) and (b) the 160-gr. Nosler Partition (with its great sectional density).

What others can you suggest?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 165 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
With the copper bullets on the market now, there is no real advantage to sectional density anymore. A 270 with a 130 grain copper bulletwill out penetrate pretty much any cup and core bullet in .277. Further, they are so reliable that there really isn't any question about them. The 110 grain TTSX is an outstanding deer bullet, and I wouldn't be at all concerned with using the 130 grain TSX/TTSX for anything in North America. There are 150s available, but they are pretty long and some rifles may not stabilize them well.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
South Pender,

I think miles58 gave you some great advise. I found the 129 LRX to be very accurate and fast in my rifle. With my previous experiences with TSX and TTSX bullets I would not be afraid to take on about anything shy of a brown bear with that load. Having said that I would be more comfortable on elk or moose with something with a little more horsepower.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12930 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a lot of elk with the 270 using the 150 grain Nosler Partition. I strongly recommend it!

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken Elk with the 160 grain Nosler Partition with my .270 WSM's with no problem. I also use the 140 grain Barnes TSX on Deer but have never taken Elk with it. I think it would do great. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
I have killed a lot of elk with the 270 using the 150 grain Nosler Partition. I strongly recommend it!

+1 Many elk, bears, deer. 150g Partition at between 2900 and 3000 fps is a sure killer on elk out to 500 yards with good shot placement.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Can’t go wrong with either a 150 grain Nosler Partition Or 130 grain TTSX or 129 grain LRX by Barnes. Great Bullets.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Another falacy this one.

Use any bullet that shoots well in your rifle, provided it is a premium bullet.

I have shot every African game animal with various 270 cartridges.

Bullets range from 130, 140 and 150.

Animals as large as eland.

Absolutely no difference in performance on any of them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67477 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
140 grain Accubond. I love the 140 grain bullet in 277 caliber for my own quirks.

3 Whitetails, 1 Fallow, and 2 boar.

I would have used it on Red Stag, but was talked out of it. I am sure it would have done fine.

For elk sized game you will retain more weight with a TSX type bullet in 130-140 over the Accubond.

Posts: 11389 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The trick for elk is make sure your bullet will expand at the max range you are going to shoot at (could be 400 to 500 yards) and still hold together if you get a close shot in the timber (15 to 30 yards), that's why I use 150g Partitions. For bigger things that are dangerous, I use larger calibers and A-Frames, or TSX's. The ranges tend to be closer (I won't shoot anything dangerous past 200 yards) and weight retention and penetration are more critical. Since impact velocities are higher, expansion is less of an issue.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've used the 150 Gr. Nosler partition on African plains game from Springbok to Eland with good success on everything. Put the bullet in the right place and even the Eland don't go far.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend shot a bull elk twice in the thorax with a .300 Winchester using 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Both bullets hit heart/lung and both bullets penetrated the elk fully. Even so, the elk didn't go down immediately and stumbled off into a gully before collapsing, as elk are prone to do.

My friend's reaction to the elk not falling immediately was "maybe I need to switch to 200 grain Noslers?" I pointed out that the only thing that heavier bullets would do would potentially increase penetration, which the 180's weren't lacking, so would have had no different results.

My point is that the 150 Nosler Partition has plenty of sectional density to provide all of the penetration you need for elk, so the less aerodynamic 160 grain semi-spitzer would provide nothing that you don't get with the 150's except a slightly more arched trajectory and less energy at extended distances.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
+1 Exactly that's why I shoot the 150g Partitions

Regards,

Chuck

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
A friend shot a bull elk twice in the thorax with a .300 Winchester using 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Both bullets hit heart/lung and both bullets penetrated the elk fully. Even so, the elk didn't go down immediately and stumbled off into a gully before collapsing, as elk are prone to do.

My friend's reaction to the elk not falling immediately was "maybe I need to switch to 200 grain Noslers?" I pointed out that the only thing that heavier bullets would do would potentially increase penetration, which the 180's weren't lacking, so would have had no different results.

My point is that the 150 Nosler Partition has plenty of sectional density to provide all of the penetration you need for elk, so the less aerodynamic 160 grain semi-spitzer would provide nothing that you don't get with the 150's except a slightly more arched trajectory and less energy at extended distances.

Different animals - even from the same species, behave differently when shot.

I shot an impala, feeding towards us, a few yards away.

The bullet hit him at the junction of the neck and shoulder, penetrated his whole body, and was found under the skin next to his tail.

300 grain Barnes X from a 375/404.

He just flinched, stopped for a few seconds, walked slowly away from us for a few yards, then lay day normally, and then died.

took a few minutes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67477 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote