New
Find
Notify
Tools

wby 300 mag ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the weatherby 300 mag. large enough for North American game??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although it would not be my first choice for the big bears it will certainly work for all north american game.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can easily push a 200 grain bullet over 3,000 fps. It's more than enough for big bears.

I've also used one on Moose.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure it is, I would not trade mine for anything I have seen yet.

I admit I would prefer something larger for a big brown bear, but I also am sure the .300 Weatherby would get the job done. (Larger as in bigger bore, not just a bigger powder capacity.)

I can tell you it dropped a nice 6 X 6 bull elk for me this fall. One shot and he was on the ground. I cannot imagine what you could hunt in the US that the .300 Weatherby would not work well on.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 300 Wby and the right bullet and proper shot placement will be just fine. Have it in a Remington Sendero,sst,syn,fluted

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Every species of North American game animal has been taken sucessfully many times with the .30/06 -- even though many experts hold that it is really too light for the biggest bears -- so the more powerful .300 Weatherby will definitely get the job done if the shooter does his part.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote