New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Moose Model
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just for grins I wondered if anyone could tell me how best to duplicate a broadside double shoulder shot on a large (here's hoping) European bull moose.

I tried 0.5" wet phonebook followed by 2 times 0.75" ply wood boards, followed by 13" wet phonebooks, followed by 2 times 0.75" plywood, followed by 0.5" phone book.

Impact velocity of my 286gr 9.3 partition was 2150fps. Bullet made it to half way through to the final .75" board. Weight 252gr (ie 88% retention) expanded to 0.7" with a small orange sized hole about 4-6" inches past the first 'shoulder'

Any thoughts on how this could be improved.

Even whackier can anyone tell me the overall length and top to bottom chest measurements of the above moose. I have a couple of good photos which I want to pin up at the correct distances to do some dry fire practice on and to do so I need to work out scale!

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 10-02-2001).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I really whished more Swedish hunters could have some of your energy prior to he hunting seson

Most (not everybody!) hunters here hardly practise at all prior the the moosehunting.

I have done some test shooting in wet newspaipers and wet sawdust to test the expantion of hunting bullets. In my tests I have got the feeling that wet newspaipers or sawdust is quite close to a shoulder hit on a adult moose. I have not been playing around with wood or chipboards in front and behind the newspapers. Sawdust is better if you going to shoot a lot of bullets, newspaipers get messed up quite fast. The backside of sawdust is that it�s tuffer to find the bullets fast. You have to make some sort of box when using saw dust.

Newspaipers work fine if you stack them in plastic bags and pour water into them. It�s easy to find the bullets when you only have to go thru one plastic bag of paiper.

I�ve tested everything from 6 mm bullets up to .416 calibre and it always work just fine.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why a double shoulder shot on a moose? The top of the heart,lung shot is the most effective.

It may not be practical in england, but I would keep an eye out for someone that is looking for a home for a horse or a farmer that has an old cow that has to be put down.

Here, where I live, an old horse or cow has multi purpose uses. Bullet preformance and excellent wolf bait.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl D:
Why a double shoulder shot on a moose? The top of the heart,lung shot is the most effective.

It may not be practical in england, but I would keep an eye out for someone that is looking for a home for a horse or a farmer that has an old cow that has to be put down.

Here, where I live, an old horse or cow has multi purpose uses. Bullet preformance and excellent wolf bait.

Daryl

I'll have to make sure my wife does not see this ...

She hates the French because they eat horses

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<rwj>
posted
Deerdogs: As for scale, a decent mature bull moose has a set of lungs that are about 18"x18" in size, the chest is about 3.5 feet deep (top to bottom)and the body, from nose to tail, is about 8 + feet. And as Daryl said, if you put a big hole through both lungs, he is dead...he may walk a little ways, but he is dead. If you shoot him in the shoulders, you will break structural bones and he may fall down immediately, but you ruin too much meat doing that.

Good luck!

Robert Jobson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
I'll have to make sure my wife does not see this ...

She hates the French because they eat horses

I hate horses because they feed the french!!

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl D:

It's not that I want to it's just that the words people seem to use around moose are silent, fleeting glimpses, moving target etc which seemed to be telling me that I might get few chances of a shot and any chances I do get are going to be in conditions that could well lead to me being off a couple of inches which will get me in the vicinity of the shoulder. I want the confidence of knowing my bullet can cope with this, sort of train hard fight easy...

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jameister,

That does make sense. It is good that you are preparing yourself. If it is of any help, many Europeans hunt Alakan/Yukon moose with the 9.3 H-mantle bullet with great success. It is always nice to check for yourself for your own confedence.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote