Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Wolf Arizona and New Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/e..._Wolf_f10j_FINAL.pdf

Service finalizes changes to Mexican wolf experimental population rule in Arizona and New Mexico.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ and NM are doomed!!! Frowner

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
More stupidity from our government! It just never seems to end.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have shovels...

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Great. At this rate, my kids will be lucky to hunt elk in western New Mexico.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Our cabin is at 9,000 feet in Arizona's White Mountains and about five miles from the border of the WM Apache reservation. Tracks indicate a herd of up to 30-40 elk crosses our land regularly to feed at night in a big meadow across the road from us. This is inside a village of 150 or so residents.

Our cabin is approximately half way between two sites (maybe 20 miles apart) where the USFWS has been releasing wolves.

Although we know elk visit us nearly every night, we have seen them in daylight from the cabin only once in the 40-plus years we've owned our place. This was a couple of years ago, when 34 elk walked single file down our driveway in the middle of the day.

They halted when they reached our gate and found a wolf sitting on its haunches waiting for them. The wolf and the elk stared at each other for at least a full minute from maybe 20 yards away. When another wolf appeared from out of the willows along our creek and moved toward one of the elk calves, the elk bolted and ran back up our little canyon with the wolves hot on their heels.

We felt fortunate to have watched this incident close up from our living room window. I suspect those wolves had been harassing that herd for hours and dined on elk "veal" that afternoon.

Unfortunately, it was a scene that will be repeated all too often up there.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Gloom and Doom boys
It's gonna be Ok
We all like wild places so relax
Plenty of game up here after 15 years with wolves
I'm a hunter and also conservationist and I'll take wolves with what they are and not the enemy
They make things more intriguing and make hunting them fun, tough and interesting
Do we want wild places devoid of predators or do we want wild places as they have always been?

My answer is: I don't want some perfect paradise where deer and elk are frolicking around ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with large predators is their population will continually increase until the food source can no longer sustain them, then they either die off, find another food source in their territory or move off to other areas
Now knowing this will happen will the people who prefer a steady population of prey species such as deer elk antelope want to put up with these cycles which may take generations to reverse. The powers to be need to regulate these large predators to insure an acceptable population of the more preferred species as simple as that.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced that a hefty portion of the Greenies who are starting to take charge of the USFWS, Forest Service, BLM, and other management agencies see the large carnivores as replacements for you and me. Modern human civilization does not need to hunt, right? So why not get us some extra wolves and bears so we don't need human hunters to help regulate game populations? Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but I suspect that any reduction in tags will make these folks happy.

Plus, this wolf issue frequently pits hunter against hunter, which our opponents surely love.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gloom and Doom boys It's gonna be Ok We all like wild places so relax Plenty of game up here after 15 years with wolves I'm a hunter and also conservationist and I'll take wolves with what they are and not the enemy They make things more intriguing and make hunting them fun, tough and interesting Do we want wild places devoid of predators or do we want wild places as they have always been? My answer is: I don't want some perfect paradise where deer and elk are frolicking around ...

Hey, Boarkiller. What's wrong with frolicking deer and elk?

I've always felt hunters were the original conservationists. In fact, I would agree with you about reintroducing wolves if this area still were a wild place, and if our state wildlife agency were allowed to manage scientifically the hybrids the feds reportedly are releasing.

However, our part of Arizona ceased being a wilderness decades ago. It now is a year-around playground for five million people who are crowded into the valleys surrounding Phoenix and Tucson. There is no end in sight, either. Every time a major snowstorm hits the midwest or northeast, or California's loonies nibble away at the things that make us free, our numbers grow by 50,000 or more overnight.

As for management, the USFWS keeps changing the reintroduction plan agreed upon by most of the players and is arrogant beyond words. Our game department has announced its intention to sue the feds over this very issue.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I just feel like having predators makes hunting more challenging
And yes, I agree that USFWA are very heavy handed
One thing I have observed here is that with all the large predators sky didn't fall
Yes, more competition from them makes it tougher to hunt, but I like it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller:

It's not that we didn't have predators before these wolves were brought here.

Arizona, including the White Mountains where wolves are being released, has no shortage of mountain lions, black bears, coyotes, bobcats, foxes, badgers, raptors and various smaller meat-eaters. There also are influential people working to have northern grizzly bears released on our mountain.

What expanding the Mexican wolf's "experimental" population and range, and reclassifying it as "endangered," will do to our existing predator and prey base is yet to be seen, but I suspect both will be negatively affected, at least in the short term.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Predators don't kill hunting
We will if given chance

“ Hávamál”

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Our cabin is at 9,000 feet in Arizona's White Mountains and about five miles from the border of the WM Apache reservation. Tracks indicate a herd of up to 30-40 elk crosses our land regularly to feed at night in a big meadow across the road from us. This is inside a village of 150 or so residents.

Our cabin is approximately half way between two sites (maybe 20 miles apart) where the USFWS has been releasing wolves.

Although we know elk visit us nearly every night, we have seen them in daylight from the cabin only once in the 40-plus years we've owned our place. This was a couple of years ago, when 34 elk walked single file down our driveway in the middle of the day.

They halted when they reached our gate and found a wolf sitting on its haunches waiting for them. The wolf and the elk stared at each other for at least a full minute from maybe 20 yards away. When another wolf appeared from out of the willows along our creek and moved toward one of the elk calves, the elk bolted and ran back up our little canyon with the wolves hot on their heels.

We felt fortunate to have watched this incident close up from our living room window. I suspect those wolves had been harassing that herd for hours and dined on elk "veal" that afternoon.

Unfortunately, it was a scene that will be repeated all too often up there.

Bill Quimby

I would have felt fortunate if I could have legally shot both those wolves! They were removed from most of the lower 48 for a reason. No need to bring them back in my mind.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote