New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's going on in Edmonton?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be in Emonton on business for a few days next week.
Can anybody recommend any sites to see?

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, let's see...there's always West Edmonton Mall, which is the worlds largest (believe me, it's BIG!) Even if you're not a shopper, it's worth a walk through simply because it's so damned impressive.There's also a gun shop in the west end of the Mall, complete with indoor range...Across town, there's Wholesale Sports, where there are usually a few interesting used pieces and pretty well unlimited new stuff...there's Milarm, where they have all manner of military junque, and usually a few decent Mausers etc....there's a very good Air Museum, if you're into northern aviation history & aircraft....there's the Space Sciences Center (I think they call it the Odyssium now) they used to have an 'arm' off the shuttle and stuff like that, along with an Imax theatre...there's the Alberta Museum of Natural History, with some of the best wildlife displays I've ever seen...now that I think about it, there's a lot to see! If you get bored, you can always head out in the country for an evening and shoot a bunch of gophers, and earn the gratitude of a local farmer.. [Big Grin] ..welcome to Alberta! And make sure you eat a steak! Mad Cow Disease my ass, it's STILL the worlds best beef! [Smile]

[ 06-02-2003, 07:36: Message edited by: Tumbleweed ]

Posts: 5760 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Here

I started a thread for you

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/viewtopic.php?t=11222

I hope the link works..

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, I knew you guys would come up with something!
Next question:; How do I get a firearms export permit?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leif, do you have a particular firearm in mind, or is this "just in case"? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leif Wold:
Thanks gents, I knew you guys would come up with something!
Next question:; How do I get a firearms export permit?

Do you mean to buy a gun in Canada and then export it or do you want to bring a gun into Canada?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, That website is new to me. Thanks!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun shop in the mall?? Do you mean I spent all that time watching kids figure skate while I should have gone to something interesting?

Shoot!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Gatehouse, That website is new to me. Thanks!

Canuck

Canuck
It hasn't been around for too long...

But you have a problem.

I think that someone over there has usurped your name! [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just in case I saw something that tickled my fancy, it it difficult to get the paper work together to for a US citizen to buy a rifle in Canada?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buying isn't difficult, taking possesion is. You would have to get them to ship it to your FFL in the states, and to do that they have to have the right import/export papers from the BATF. There is a discription of the process and which forms you need on canadiangunnutz site. If you could pre-arrange for a PAL (Possession Acquisition Licence) ahead of time, you could just buy what you want on the spot. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh and I believe this weekend is the black rifle shoot at Genesee range, west of Edmonton. That's the one where us geezers take out our full auto toys and let anybody play who brings ammo. It's a hoot. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, the Black rifle shoot is the weekend of the 14th. - Dan

posted Hide Post
Go to the lobby of the West Petrolium Tower downtown and see the No. 2 B&C moose hangin there,( outside the DNR office) What a brute !!

[ 06-03-2003, 23:27: Message edited by: Bowzer ]

Posts: 15 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep em coming guys!

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
For a Brit, Wholesale Sports was as close to heaven as I have been in gunshop terms.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, Bowser is right, that moose is a monster. Another Slave Lake special. - Dan

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Leif,

Edmonton is a great city, and I agree with all of the above posts, except one thing. The beef sucks!! If you want a good steak, come to the midwest USA, Nebraska or Iowa! That crap they serve in Canada, is what we put in cans labled ALPO down here!! [Big Grin] Why do you think all of the people in the midwest USA are over weight? Well, it sure as hell is not from eating Canadian beef!! [Big Grin] I'm not trying to piss any of my Canadian friends off, but holy crap, where do they get that S--T??? [Wink] [Wink]

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beef advice from a Cornhusker?! Please, you're just not USED to good beef. All that fat on those southern (from here) steaks have addled your taste buds. Nothing better then good lean Alberta beef BBQ'ed and CDN beer (except maybe BBQ'ed moose) - Dan

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The only beef that I've had that is as good (possibly better) as Alberta Beef is from Argentina.

[Smile]

But Americans do know more about low 'n' slow BBQ than we do! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's a fact. I haven't had a decent shaved pork BBQ sandwich since the last time I was in Memphis. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to say Edmonton not a bad little city. I stopped by the Provincial museum for the new photo exhibit which was pretty good. Sorry I didn't have a steak but the ribs were pretty good at the Montana Steak house on the Calgary Trail.
Who knows, I might be back for a mountain caribou..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leif.

Are mountain caribou available for non res hunters in Alberta? I haven't seen prices listed by any of the outfitters I have looked at.

Ian

[ 06-11-2003, 11:16: Message edited by: IanF ]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caribou have been closed for approx 20 years in Alberta. Mountain Caribou can be hunted in the NWT, Yukon and B.C.

Posts: 44 | Location: Canada | Registered: 19 January 2002Reply With Quote