Find
Notify
Tools

Teat Hound is Wyoming bound!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
I guess I'm going to Wyoming for the first time, as I was able to draw tags for region A! Wyoming is one of there areas I've been waiting to see for a long time.

Any advice? Are bears a problem there (i.e. bear spray required)? I'll be deer hunting, btw.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Southern Wy for antelope, so good luck there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teat Hound:
I guess I'm going to Wyoming for the first time, as I was able to draw tags for region A! Wyoming is one of there areas I've been waiting to see for a long time.

Any advice? Are bears a problem there (i.e. bear spray required)? I'll be deer hunting, btw.

There are no bears in the Black Hills, so you can leave your bear spray at home. If you haven't found a place to hunt, I suggest you start looking now. The public land there can be good, but it gets hunted pretty hard.

Good luck,

MG

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I'll be in Southern Wy for antelope, so good luck there.

Two of my colleagues hunted antelope last fall before they met us in Colorado and both took nice trophies.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:

There are no bears in the Black Hills, so you can leave your bear spray at home. If you haven't found a place to hunt, I suggest you start looking now. The public land there can be good, but it gets hunted pretty hard.

Good luck,

MG

Thanks MG. Any suggestions on location? We've got a friend who lives somewhere around there, so he's going to look around for us now that we know which area we drew tags for.

As for bears, I'm still packing my .44 just in case.

-eric

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I live in area A, it can be a very busy area lots of people and the public land can get crowded. Be prepared for snow, that season open Nov. 1st and the Bearlodge Mts. can be impassable, I have seen it often, leave the 44 in the truck, you don't want to look like a dude, you will have enough to carry up the mountains. good luck.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
I live in area A, it can be a very busy area lots of people and the public land can get crowded. Be prepared for snow, that season open Nov. 1st and the Bearlodge Mts. can be impassable, I have seen it often, leave the 44 in the truck, you don't want to look like a dude, you will have enough to carry up the mountains. good luck.

Thanks Elkman2, much appreciated!

-eric

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hey Eric,

I wish you the best of luck.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I know the area fairly well having hunted there several times. Actually it was my favorite part of Wyoming when I lived there. Enjoy the local bars while there. Be polite and best to keep your boasting to a minimum. There are some rough ol' boys around there that don't take to "dudes" showing up acting out. If you act decent they will treat you decent. Consider renting a vehicle with Wyoming plates once you get there, as California and New York license plates kind of turn them off.

Consider calling the local Game & Fish Warden in the area in advance and asking him for info on private ranches where you could pay a trespass fee to hunt. (If it's a guy named Dale Davis, give him my regards!)It will be money well spent to get onto some private land. The BLM land is a lot of heavily hunted pine tree stuff and the deer like to hang out around the irrigated hay meadow land (on private land).

Do not get caught trespassing on private land. They have no sense of humor about that. Be polite, appreciate their culture, don't be cheap, and you might develop a long-term relationship with a landowner family there. Once they trust you they are a very loyal bunch. There are several families there that I consider salt-of-the-earth; Driskolls, Garmans, Davis, Roberts, the Lamberts, to name a few.

P.S. Forget the .44, leave it in the truck. There just aren't bears there as the cattle ranchers wouldn't tolerate them anyway. If you could get a turkey permit then you might have a use for a light gun of some kind. Perhaps a .22 handgun for porcupines (with the landowners blessings).

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Game Warden is John Davis, Moorcroft. He does not answer his phone, I have tried many times

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kyler! I'll need it.

Matt, thanks for the advice, I'll call the game warden tomorrow. As for my plates, I have Veterans license plates that have the 1st Armored Division symbol on them. If that makes someone in Wyoming upset, I'll just have to take my chances I guess. salute To tell the truth, the only place I've ever been hassled about my plates was in Los Angeles by some gel-haired SOB wearing a rubber bracelet. Oh well.

Cheers! cheers

-eric