THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Reasons why you say No to the 30-06

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reasons why you say No to the 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

270/308 Norma

Mike - how did you find the performance of this little round? Was it an ACkley improved case?

Barrel length?

Thanks,

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't hate the 30-06.I just find several other cartridges that offer much better performance for my applications.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about that. A year old post with hundreds of responses, and still going. I'm going to chime in, not even knowing if I've already done so.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge. Nobody can argue that and win any medals. However, it is surrounded in my own gun safe by my 7-08AI (my go-to gun for deer hunting), a 7mmRemMag, and soon a 7mmSUM or 7mmWSM (new M1999 stainless short mag action still in the box), as well as my 300WinMag on the other side. That's just considering the type of game that the '06 is ideal for.

If I'm hunting deer, I'll grab for a 7mm. They are more than enough medicine for any deer on the planet, and surpass the 30-06 ballistically. They won't kill a deer any deader than the '06, but the 7mm's are a better choice for my way of thinking.

If I'm after game bigger than deer, I'll start with my 300WinMag. The 30-06 is capable, but the 300WinMag is more of a good thing. If I was recoil shy, that might be different. But I'm not.

If I were a one-gun-hunter, or even a three-gun-hunter, the 30-06 would rise to the upper ranks pretty quickly.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck yes, great subject - if slightly provocative... I can see very few reasons to "say no to a .30-06". In fact, when I'm limited to just one rifle for game of varying size, what better choice than a .30-06?? An all-time favorite!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogger,

Because I'm a gun nut. I've even tried therapy, didn't help. I like guns. I like reloading. To me it would be unbelieveably boring to have only one caliber to shoot/hunt/develop loads for. I want to be able to use and enjoy different types of rifle actions as well as different calibers/chamberings. I am a shooter/handloader/hunter. That is why I don't have a 30-06. I don't get to spend near the time actually hunting that I do get to spend shooting and reloading.

Posts: 33 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho-Of the people that I hunt with that do all of their hunting with one cartridge,it is usually the 7mmremmag.For the record ,Of the six people that I hunt with only one even owns a 30-06 and that is because although he hunts with a 7mmremmag he keeps the 30-06 as a spare.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I�m not quiete sure, hy there are so many of you "hate" the .30-06,...because for me it�s one of my best all arround calibers for my european hunting.
she never let me down, even under bad circumstances. And where is the big plus of a .300Win Mag?
A lot of people like to have a more powerfull and faster caliber,...but his only makes sense if u shoot over the distance of 200meters. Under this distance i can see no need to use a 300 win mag, specially when u hunt on wild boars.
The faster 300 win mag has a much worser performance then the �06 if u shoot under 150meters

In General:
IMHO it�s not the question if one caliber is better or more suitable then...an other caliber.
It�s the question of the character of the shooter .
Take your time and do your homework, when go out hunting. And then you will kill everything with a .30-06 that�s running arround on the world.

cheers
konstantin

Truer words have never been spoken.

Waidmansheil, Konstantin.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1, Stupidity
2. doesn't know scheiss about performance
3. Is a weenie and can't handle the recoil.
4. Listens to every dumb ass who claims to know a lot and doesn't know scheiss from shineola.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

mho-Of the people that I hunt with that do all of their hunting with one cartridge,it is usually the 7mmremmag.For the record ,Of the six people that I hunt with only one even owns a 30-06 and that is because although he hunts with a 7mmremmag he keeps the 30-06 as a spare.

Yeah, there are lots of great choices. I never had a 7mm Rem Mag, I went to a .300 Win Mag when I wanted something faster than my .30-06, so I can't really comment on that caliber, other than it is probably pretty close to the '06 in terms of game it will take. These days, I find myself shooting my .30-06 more than my .300 WM. I guess I must be getting old, and all the noise and recoil does not seem so attractive anymore. Also, I'd rather have the .30-06 when I have the opportunity to shoot smaller species as well as larger beasts, I find the fast calibers like the .300 WM get to be a bit much for smaller animals. On the other hand, there is little that the .300 WM will take that the .30-06 won't. I'm not pouring scorn on my .300 WM or other fast calibers, in fact I love what the .300 will do. But the old .30-06 is just so versatile and efficient, that you've got to love it

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Ishapore Enfield in .308 for $49
2. Enfield in .303 for $49
3. Moisin-Nagant 91-30 or M38 in 7.62x54R for $59
4. Old Mausers in 8x57 for $100
5. Ammunition for most of the above for 10 cents a round.

Now which gun can I buy that shoots 10 cent around 30-06 for $50 or so?????

I'm just a poor boy, feeding my addiction, the cheapest way I can.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW...what a thread!!

All I can add is that the '06 does have a certain mistique...you can get the flavor of this by calling it the 7.62X63, which is exactly what it is...no more and no less.

Another way of putting it is that it is a centerfire case holding about 62 grains of usable case capactiy in .308 caliber requiring a long action. That tells the whole story as well. Form an internal ballistics perspective, case capacity divided by bore squared gives a power/expansion number of 653.

The .308 bore in 1 in 10 twist will stabilize bullets weighing from 110 to 250 grains. From this we know that the optimin bbl length is 24 inches and it will deliver 3200 FPE at muzzle with bullets in the 150 to 220 gr range in a strong bolt gun.

END OF STORY.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The .30-06 is the one cartridge that will do anything that is the only cartridge that isn't best for anything.

Mine is a keeper however.....it still goes anywhere and does it all....even though there could have been better choices.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 3000 plus rounds per year and have for several years, and have never fired a 30-06. The reason is I went from the 30-30 to the .308 and then up to the .300 Win mag and then on up to .338 and up. It is an excellent round, and I am not saying I will never shoot one, just haven't yet. My brother-in-law shoots one, took it to Alaska, took a charging 9 1/2 Brown Bear with it, came home and bought a .300 win mag. Another buddy was killed shooting one up there under approximately the same circumstances, the Bear managed to live long enough to finish him before it died. In front of the big Bears is the only limitation I would put on it in North America. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote