THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How big hole can i expect in the moose whit the 577 Tyranosur

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How big hole can i expect in the moose whit the 577 Tyranosur
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How big hole can i expect if i shoot the moose in the shoulder whit a 577 Tyranosaur 750 grains Hawk soft point bullet at 2500 f/s.

Some buddy who knows....

I know i asked similar questions again and again,i am just so interested of big guns and moose hunting.

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At that velocity you better use the Hawks with the .065 jacket because the 0.35 jacket will be a varmint bullet above 2100 fps.

I shot an elk with a Hawk .474 .035 jacket at 2350 fps. THe bullet went through more than 4 feet of meat and left a hole big enough to fit a pair of shoes into.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<rock42>
posted
not sure about a tyrannosaur but I saw a picture of an elk shot with a 750 grain a-max out of a 50 bmg and the exit hole was over a foot round. I bet the tyrannosaur would probably be similar.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
rock42,

The velocity for a .50 BMG is 2850 fps with a 750 gr bullet, the velocity for a .577 T-REX is 2550 fps with a 750 gr bullet. The .50 BMG have a diameter of .510", the .577 T-REX have a diameter of .585". The shape of both bullets isn't the same.

I'm not an expert but the hole must be bigger with a .577 T-Rex. The main thing is the shooting distance. .50 BMG bullet has a flat trajectory beyond 1000 yards, the .577 T-Rex is very accurate at short distance (less than 300 yards).IMHO

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
If you are after meat you had better shot that moose in the head. Otherwise you will be wasting alot of good meat. The exit wound will be HUGE. As I have previously said, the wound channel and exit wound will be large enough to put both fists into and rattle them around abit.

Todd E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot bullwinkle broadside through the ribs rather than through the shoulder, the .585 bullet may not expand much at all.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overkill:
How big hole can i expect if i shoot the moose in the shoulder whit a 577 Tyranosaur 750 grains Hawk soft point bullet at 2500 f/s.

Maybe you an take a front end loader for gutting it? Just drive in & scoop.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the 577 Tyranosaur do a foot round/big hole.Is it because the energy....? does the energy do the hole big. The 577 Tyranosaur have a energy of 2 ton,or 11 000 foot pounds.

I mean that if the bullet stop/leave much energy in the animal do the hole get bigger then...?

Some buddy who know...

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Overkill,
Please understand I am not attacking you but from your questions regarding "what happens" and knocking animals off their feet, dropping them instantly, how big a hole and such. I may be very, very wrong but these questions strike me as the questions of inexperience. If this is not so, then please forgive me if you are offended and ignore me. If I am correct, maybe it would be better for you to go and buy some meat from the supermarket.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Roger,

You may not be too far off. Kind of a morbid curiosity to say the least.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
Overkill,

I wouldn't concern myself too much with what will happpen to the moose. Pulling the trigger on the damn thing will most likely kill you!

<leo>
posted
Overkill, take a look at Saeed's videos on shooting the T-Rex(humour and videos) before you decide you want one.

<Overkilll>
posted
punishment is good for me. I dont mind someting kicking me. Big guns are my life - I nned to no more.

Some buddy who knows.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please Overkillllllllllll bis, don't answer in place of your mentor, although I'm convinced that as you say punishment would be good for you.
I think the lack of experience is not a bad thing, I am not very experienced myself and we all have been beginners at one time. Everyone as the right to ask funny things about 577 tyrannosaur moose shooting or 22 LR tyrannosaur shooting, and everyone has the possibility to answer or ignore the question. But in the present case (all right, shooting a cervid with such a rocket launcher might be fun), the effect will be a lot of chopped meat where a 300 caliber is enough to do the job. It simply would be a total lack of respect for the animal and the venison. It wouldn't be hunting.
A suggestion Overkill (with no offense): why don't you make a first trial with your 460 wby on a mad cow? And keep us informed

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm probably nuts. This sounds like a reasonable question to me, even though it probably has no real-life application. The question is, if the SP will expand and make a hole bigger than .585, how much bigger?

One good answer might be "Who cares? Use a solid, and it will be .585, which is either plenty big enough, or way too big." But OK may be concerned about the bullet's exiting, or may think that when he gets a .577T, the only bullets he'll be able to get will be the SP's. In which case, a proper answer is, "Who cares? If you want to be over-gunned for moose, your .460 Wby is overkill enough." Ever wonder why he chose that handle? He knows what he's doing.

Another possibility is that OK already knows the answers that I wrote above, and that I 'spect most of us have had in the back of our minds while getting irritated at the question. Maybe OK already knows those answers, and really, perhaps because he's curious, just wants to know if anyone knows how big a hole that bullet will make. I mean, that IS the question he asked.

[This message has been edited by Recono (edited 03-22-2002).]

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<rwj>
posted
I like King Baboon's suggestion: I know I would like to see what a .460 Wby would do to a Mad Cow myself! Overkill, if you do shoot a Mad Cow with a .460 Wby, please take photos and post them. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this guy for real? Let's hope he is not ever confused by the general public as a "hunter", for questions like this does nothing for the respectable hunting community.

Posts: 98 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overkilll:
.....I nned to no more.

Some buddy who knows.....

You "nned" a dictionary. Either that or have your mommy help you with the real tough words.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muleshoe,

You need to translate that complaint into Swedish, without errors of grammar, diction or spelling. And don't even think of making a typo.

Mats will be watching you.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really a complaint, just an observation.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote