New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Sheep Applications
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am on a budget unfortunately, when it comes to the amount of money I can tie up in applying for sheep tags. I do not have any bonus points at all for desert bighorn. Is it even worth me trying to accumulate bonus points for these animals? I am 28, and would like to hunt them before age 128. Is it logical for someone like me on a budget to try and accumulate points in a state like Arizona or Nevada for these animals?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who has been applying Nevada, Arizona, Mt, and Utah since 92. Colorado and Wyoming longer. He is 58,and has kept every reciept and hunting license for every application. Last time we talked about sheep hunting he was close to 10 grand just in application fees, and hunting licenses for applications. He has only drawn a Wyoming sheep in all those years.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact of the matter is that you can't EVER draw if you aren't applying.

Also keep in mind, that once you apply for sheep, points for elk, deer, antelope, etc, are only $10-20 more in many states. Those can be hunted on a budget to fill the years before you hunt sheep. It is fun to hunt different places even if they are the same animals as you have at home.

Check out the application guide on Huntin Fool to get a feel for the costs for each state. http://www.huntinfool.com/licenseapp/ It is the top choice on the right hand side.

My take on it is that one sheep tag will be worth the time and money invested.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kudu56, did your friend get his Wyoming sheep?

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Although I was born here and have lived in Arizona all my life, it took 39 consecutive years of applying before I drew a desert sheep tag in our state.

One of my best friends drew his tag and killed a dandy ram last year after 35 years of applying. A few guys do get lucky every year, but our lack-of-luck is typical, considering the few tags authorized and the number of applicants.

It could take you even more years than it did us. Of the approximately 100 total permits issued across Arizona each year, by law only 10 percent MAY (not will) go to non-residents.

With 8,000-8,500 hunters (perhaps half of them non-residents eligible for only 9 or 10 tags) in the drawing each year, bonus points don't really change the horrible odds against living long enough to hunt a desert sheep in Arizona.

Incidentally, I broke my arm the second day of my long-awaited desert sheep hunt when the jack slipped off the bumper and dropped the truck on it as I changed a flat tire.

I lost three days getting plates inserted into that arm, but managed to kill my ram on the 12th day of the season by shooting my 7mm RM one-handed.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Kudu56, did your friend get his Wyoming sheep?

Yes he did.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So should I avoid Az and try Nevada?

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozultra:
So should I avoid Az and try Nevada?

If you are serious about hunting a desert ram, try saving $100 a week for five years or so, and hunt one in Mexico. You also could take out a loan before prices go up even more down there.

You might get lucky in Arizona's drawings, but don't plan on it.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apply for all the states with Sheep. You can't draw if you don't put in. States like Idaho and New Mexico where you have to front the tag fees and buy a license like in ID give you better draw odds but cost you a chunk of change which you get back in a few months unless you draw!!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't draw if you don't put in.

That's what they say about Mega Millions and the Powerball lotteries. The odds are better in Arizona's sheep drawings, of course, but they still are lousy, especially if you are a non-resident.

This year, if you are a resident, you will be competing with about 8,500 hunters applying for only 99 tags. If you are a non-resident, figure about 4,000 others competing for a maximum of just nine tags.

What you may not know is that non-resident and resident applications go into the same "pot."

Non-residents may draw up to 10% of the tags, but this is only the maximum they are allowed.

Although unlikely, all 99 tags could go to residents.

Bill Quimby