THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Speer 30 cal 180gr flat base-Terminal performance?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer 30 cal 180gr flat base-Terminal performance?
 Login/Join

<heider>
posted
Anybody had any luck with these on big stuff like elk and moose or black bear?

<Dave>
posted
Grand Slam will probably do everything you want from 2900 fps down.

Hot Core will probably break up on heavy bone, but otherwise might do just fine.

------------------
Davis Chase

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've used Speer in the past. Won't be using any more for big game unless they're Grand Slams or DeepShok. The standard hot core doesn't hold up well to higher velocities. I won't even load them for the '06 or .308. Maybe in a .30-30 as it's pretty enemic. Other than varmit bullets ( 52gr. .224) I don't think I've bought any since '84. Just my experience, I'm sure others like them or Speer would make changes. OH Wait! Did I mention Deep Shoks and Grand Slams? I guess maybe the engineers realized there was room for improvement.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 180 grain Speer hot cor spitzer on elk and mulies and can say the bullet works well. I never had one break up on an elk shoulder, never wanted more penetration as I seldom recovered one. I used it mostly in an 06 pushed by 59 grains of H4831 and a CCi 250 primer out of a 24 inch barrel. This is in my opinion the best non premium bullet on the market.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used alot of the 160 gr hot core spitzers in my old 7mm mag and have never had a deer's body stop one yet , even at very close range . Based on that , I wouldn't hesitate even for one second to shoot one into an elk's lungs ......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote