New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 idaho elk photo
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.trophyphotos.com/photos/full/6326.jpg
Shot right at sunup opening morning Oct. 15th.
Called in and shot with 300 win mag and 180 nosler partition.
Did some bugling and cow calling as I walked down into the canyon in the pre sunup dark.
I got a couple answers as I neared the bottom of the canyon.
Had a bull on each side of the ridge and they were both coming in to each others bugles, with me right in the middle at the top of the ridge.

This guy froze up 40 yards down the hill and bugled 4 or 5 times really loud. It was so steep I could not see him. I was in an area that burned 3 years ago at the edge of a very steep slope.
I cow called and that got him walking in, his horn tips came into view first and he gradually walked into full view and I took him at 20 yards.
Exciting stuff!

This bull had recently been in a major fight as he had 4 gouges in his shoulders several inches long. My guess is that the two bulls that answered me and were so fired up had just been in a fight. Right place at the right time I guess.
Made four packs about 800 yards straight up to an old closed logging road. I had help from there packing the 3 miles to my truck.

Posts: 11 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
A fine bull indeed!

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely great bull!!

Awfull country, but that is Idaho for you!

Sounds like a great hunt.

Thanks, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Great story and picture!!
Hope some day....
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an exciting hunt!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is an exceptional bull for Idaho...Look at those sword points and the mass...real nice!!

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congrats!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice animal, my friend...what a bitch to have to pack that pig out of that terrain...YIKES!!!....sakofan..... [Eek!]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats ! Nice critter.
Is he at the taxidermist now ?

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A. Hunter: Wow what a great trophy for you! Congratulations! That looks like an OLD burn you were Hunting near. Montana has a lot of that type area just developing over the last 3 years. And we may get some more of it this summer. Thankfully it is raining here in SW Montana as I type this!
Yeah those are the steep hills Idaho is so well known for!
Again good for you and thanks for sharing that great photo! Many happy returns to you also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty nice bull, A. Hunter. I didn't get one last Fall... but am ready for Oct. 15th, right now!

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal! And the scars and such only add character. That's some pretty land behind you there, not ideal for meat packing, but pretty nonetheless!

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

[ 04-24-2003, 20:59: Message edited by: A. Hunter ]

Posts: 11 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote