Find
Notify
Tools

DIY NM aoudad hunts and units?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Can anyone give me any information regarding a DIY aoudad hunt and their respective units?

I'm thinking of applying but not sure what I'm getting myself into should I be lucky enough to draw.

You can PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks in advance,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be advised - the rougher the country, the better the Aoudad like it.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Are there units with BLM or U.S. Forest Service land where a non-resident would have a good chance for taking an aoudad?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done it twice in NM.. I was not impressed. The country is great for big rams but it seems that every person that sees ANY ram is shooting at it.. As such, the rams never get a crack at growing to full potential there. Granted, there is, and always be, a big one or 3 pulled out every yr, but on average, NM sheep are dinks. I've glassed over there til my eyes felt like bleeding and the best sheep I've ever glassed up in NM (again, this is PUBLIC land) was a 25-26" ram.
Plus, now that NM went to a draw for them, you aren't even guranteed a chance at going on the hunt.. Both of the times I went it was before they went to a draw system on them. It was over the counter back then.

Go to west TX or to the Palo Duro country in north TX. Plenty of big 30"+ rams in both parts of the state.

They are a fantastic animal to hunt. I've shot 3 big rams and I would hunt them every year if I could!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote