Find
Notify
Tools

Why have deer season before the rut?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
The coastal blacktail(buck only) season in Ca opens the 2nd Saturday of August and ends in late September. The rut usually starts in late Sept and continues through Oct. The Fall especially near the coast is very mild and the deer don't lose their antlers until Jan-Feb.
So from a management position why would you have the season before the rut and potentially take the best bucks out of the herd before they get a chance to pass on their genes? Seems like everything else in California- bass akwards! bewildered

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
because bucks in the rut are too stupid to run away from hunters? Confused the harvest might be too high to sustain the herd...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if they are the best bucks this year,
they spread their genes last year.
whats the kill % of mature bucks?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
California's seasons are all early. IMHO it is to limit the harvest.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Ohio's season well past the rut. They want does taken-- we do have an over population problem with deer.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Ohio's season well past the rut. They want does taken-- we do have an over population problem with deer.

California is bucks only so we have an over population of does. The last doe hunt in Ca was in the early 60's? Then they left it up to the county supervisors if they would allow doe hunts and guess what? No more doe hunts Mad even though the DFG has proposed taking does many times.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
In Arizona, our rut occurs in mid-winter. Some mule deer and most of our Coues deer don't start getting interested in romance until very late in December or early January.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate a lot of things about California hunting rules and regulations. I sent letters to two of the larger hunting magazines asking them if using their reach to get all the california hunters to get together and boycott hunting activity for a year. To force in this case the reversal of the lead free ban and changes in the pig hunting tag setup.

of course I never heard back. I too always have thought that the deer season was too early. I also think that we should have a doe season, maybe not every year but what's the good in having such an imbalance in the sexes of the deers?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
California's seasons are all early. IMHO it is to limit the harvest.

Yup, if hunters kill too many deer the lions might go hungry. Can't have that.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote