THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Aoudad/Corsican Hunt Report: Devil's River

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aoudad/Corsican Hunt Report: Devil's River
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Hunt Dates: September 25, 26 and 27
Hunt Location: Skyline Ranch (Devil’s River), Comstock, Texas
Species Hunted: Free Range Aoudad and Corsican Ram
Weapon: Remington 700 .300 Weatherby
Ammunition: Weatherby 180 Spire Point
Outfitter: Mike McKinny (mulie_mike)
Guide: Clint Beckham

This was a hunt booked based on an advertisement on AR. I was looking for something that would fill the gap between a summer fishing trip in Mexico and the start of deer season. In addition, I have never spent any significant time in West Texas and thought it would be a good opportunity to see that part of the state.

The area we hunted is along the Devil’s River. The Devil’s River is one of, if not the last private access only rivers in Texas. It is a limestone bottom river that is crystal clear and apparently has some great small mouth bass fishing. The topography is comprised of lots of ridge lines along with deep canyons. The hunting is typically spot and stalk. The terrain is extremely rocky and hiking can be tough. A good pair of hiking boots and some trekking poles make climbing and descending the canyon walls much easier. Definitely a hunt that you want to be in decent shape to do.

The accommodations are adequate and the bunkhouse is air conditioned with satellite television, etc. The food was excellent.

Aoudad

We were extremely lucky on the aoudad. The first morning of the hunt we drove to the north portion of the ranch and intended to do a walk along a ridgeline spotting. We had not been out of the truck for long when we spotted a group of aoudad that were crossing a fence line and moving in a direction toward us, quartering away. In the front of the group was a large ram that stopped and was staring at us. The only shot was a quartering on shot at approximately 200 yards. He dropped in his tracks.

I was fortunate to have taken one of the largest aoudad rams that has been taken on this ranch. Not only is he long, but he has great mass that he retains almost to the tips. An old ram and an exceptional trophy. The taxidermist scored him at 154 7/8". Looks like the aoudad would currently rank number 14 in the world in SCI in free range aoudad. Awesome!

Corsican

In addition to aoudad the ranch also has free range Corsican sheep. We spent the next two days spotting and chasing Corsican. Day two of the hunt we went on a long walk (approximately seven hours) through several canyons. While we spotted several rams nothing was a shooter. Candidly, we spent the rest of the day recovering . . . I was beat.

The Corsican sheep tend to favor the southern portion of the ranch. On the last day of the hunt we spent the better part of the morning and afternoon driving the ranch and spotting. In the morning we made two stalks, one on a group of two rams and the other on a group of two ewes and a ram, but when we got to the area the groups had been spotted they were nowhere to be found. Late afternoon we spotted another group of ewes and a ram. They initially busted off but stopped approximately 200 yards from us at the bottom on canyon and the ram presented a shot.

Overall Impressions

I have never hunted any of the sheep. I am beyond the point of having the desire to chase dall or stone sheep. I really enjoyed this hunt and the opportunity to get a flavor for sheep hunting. To be able to take an exceptional aoudad was a bonus. An added bonus was to be able to see the blood moon eclipse after the hunt.

Mike McKinny was a pleasure to work with in setting up the hunt and Clint Beckham was a great guide and host for the hunt. Sherrie does a great job on the meals too, especially her Hawaiian pork burger.

I would not hesitate to do this hunt again . . . except maybe the walk on Day Two.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice animals and pics.Congrats on a good hunt.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
What a toad!!!!!!!!!

What was the length of the horns and bases? I saw the SCI score, but looks to be 34" or so? Maybe 16-17" bases?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, Mike!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's about as big as Aoudad get...very nice! One day I need to get back down there and hunt one like that, to replace the "dink" I have on the wall now.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Way to go Mike!

Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike, that's a hell of an aoudad, thanks for sharing as I've always wanted to do a hunt like this.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
What a toad!!!!!!!!!

What was the length of the horns and bases? I saw the SCI score, but looks to be 34" or so? Maybe 16-17" bases?

Not quite that big! Eeker

Left horn was 33" with 13 4/8" bases. Right horn was 32 1/8" with 13 2/8" bases. The real scoring was that it held its mass so far out, e.g., between the bases and first quarter measurement it only dropped about 1 1/2" same between the first and second quarter measurements and the second and third quarter measurements. As a point of reference, the current number ten in the world free range is 156 2/8".

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Mike.

Could you look any happier in the photos?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. A great hunt and great report from the most impressive part of Texas. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt and interesting country. Well done!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Very cool Mike, congrats.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
What a toad!!!!!!!!!

Not quite that big! Eeker

Left horn was 33" with 13 4/8" bases. Right horn was 32 1/8" with 13 2/8" bases. The real scoring was that it held its mass so far out, e.g., between the bases and first quarter measurement it only dropped about 1 1/2" same between the first and second quarter measurements and the second and third quarter measurements. As a point of reference, the current number ten in the world free range is 156 2/8".

I guess it's the mass. The character is fantastic. My goal is a 36" aoudad. My biggest is a 32"x10.5" bases (small); my buddy got a 30" with 15" bases. I'm thinking I will need to head to Big Bend area one day for El Hefe.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ram!

Enjoyed reading your report.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an exceptional free range aoudad Mike. That one will be hard to beat. tu2

A free range hunt for aoudad in the Ft. Davis area is the only hunt I have ever done in Texas so far.
It was a good hunt in beautiful country, one that I am surprised more do not try.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 weeks to go & i'm there. sure hope a 1 1/2 legged old fat man can still hunt

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
3 weeks to go & i'm there. sure hope a 1 1/2 legged old fat man can still hunt

The best advice I can offer is take trekking poles. They make a huge difference going up and down the canyons. That and some proper hiking boots with ankle support. Good luck and I look forward to your report.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram MJines. Congrats. Free range aoudad is a spot and stalk hunter's dream.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike thank you for coming out and congratulations again on a beautiful ram. He will be hard to beat. Those are the rams that get the blood pumping.

www.westtexashuntorg.com

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

Posts: 439 | Location: El Paso/ Far West Texas | Registered: 20 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Aoudad. Just outstanding.

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Mike! That is a fine looking trophy - well done.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done Mike! Excellent trophy in a beautiful part of the state. I've always wanted to flyfish the Devil's River for smallies... one day.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Congratulations sir, spectacular trophies. I'm sure you'll return to the Trans Pecos. There's something about it...

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's some BIG country and A Great Ram tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great ram Mike. That is a fun hunt for sure.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote