Find
Notify
Tools

Self-Guided Elk Hunt Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
My friends and I (5 of us) are looking for a self-guided elk hunt next year, preferably on private land (fair chase) or light pressure public hunting land. A cabin based or drop camp hunt would be great - as well as access to people or equipment retrieve any animals.

We just finished a self-guided 5 day hunt for Mule Deer in SE MT on a private ranch (free range, not a hunting ranch), and all got deer. Three of the folks, it was there first deer ever. One guy got a whopper.

We are more focused on the experience versus everyone getting a big trophy elk.

Any recommendations?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go for an area 96 type 6 cow-calf hunt.. late hunt, Novemberish... snow... sleep in the Best Western Pinedale Wy.. breakfast at the Wrangler.. drive out before daylite.. elk migrate down to the feed ground soda lake.. good hunt depending on the weather the worse the better... Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Would prefer an opportunity at bulls as well. A tag good for either sex would be ideal.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
A tag good for either sex would be ideal.

That's a tall order in most the elk states. In my native Colorado, either sex tags for elk can be hard to come by and are usually in the premier arreas. And some of those take over 15 preference points to draw.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several places in Colorado that do ranch trespass hunts. They also provide cabins.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. So far Colorado does seem to have some options. I was hoping someone here would have used someone before.

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I assume that you have checked Eastman's Hunting Journal's issue with maps. Never used it myself, but it sounds promising.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Colorado: If all 5 of you want either sex tags I think you can put in for the 1st. season draw as a group. Then if you draw, everyone gets to go.Be sure that you each fill out the draw forms corectly because if 1 messes up, none of you will get tags. There are several areas that are good 1st season hunting and if you go on public land the pressure is light because it's a draw only season. I hunt in south western Co. in the San Juan mtns. and have drawn most every year. There are plenty of outfitters here and they could give you much better information. Sorry I don't have names but we always go do it yourself hunting on public land. Call Col. div. of wildlife andget as much info as they can give you. Good luck.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
How are some of the hunt services, like the Huntin' Fool? Are they worth money.service?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are more focused on the experience than a big trophy bull, a cow elk hunt is a good introduction into elk hunting and the odds of getting an elk are very good. Plus you can do the hunt for very cheap. It will also allow you to learn the lay of the land for future bull hunts, the hardest part is deciding where you want to go.

For what you're looking for, why not just get an outfitter? The costs associated with paying a trespass fee to get on private land with elk (there is no such thing as "light" hunting pressure on public land without many years of building points), buying a guaranteed license, paying for someone to remove the animal from the field....you may as well book a hunt. From the criteria you listed this does not sound much like a self guided hunt.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
We might go with land owner tags. Not sure how much they are on CO, but run $800-$1,200 in NM.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
We might go with land owner tags. Not sure how much they are on CO, but run $800-$1,200 in NM.

For bulls with a rifle? Be careful with that...

I've seen cow tags in good areas in the $300-600 range, but bull tags in good areas may be an order of magnitude higher. A grand for a rifle bull tag is likely in a marginal area, unless the waning economy has hit the hunting market a lot harder than I thought. Wink

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to North Fork Idaho, then drive (4 wheel) up on top to Long Tom Lookout and pitch a camp in the designated camp areas..Walk off the mountain each day to the road, you have about 3 or 4 routes down to the road. Have someone designated each day to pick you up on the road and drive you back to camp. Its about 6 or 7 hour hunt off the mountain. Best if there is about 3 inches of snow on the ground, nasty weather and elk go together.

I have shot many bulls on that hunt, but its too tough for me these days at 77 years old..My last hunt there was in 2007..you will have to back pack your elk downhill to the road in blowdown timber or if you can find a packer to get them you will need a chainsaw to get the horses in there and out..It is a tough hunt, but the elk are there for those who can stand the pain. My last hunt there and I had a horse and chain saw and I had to spend two nights on that mountain, it is a cold place to spend the night so be prepared to build a fire and have a shelter like a pop tent or what ever. I built a lean to with a manti, and had a bedroll.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll get laughed off the phone trying to buy a decent bull tag in NM for $1000. Don't get me wrong, lots of ranchers selling bull tags for $1000 but no ranchers that actually have elk are selling them that cheap. More like $2500.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I think Colorado has a 4 person limit on group applications.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
You'll get laughed off the phone trying to buy a decent bull tag in NM for $1000. Don't get me wrong, lots of ranchers selling bull tags for $1000 but no ranchers that actually have elk are selling them that cheap. More like $2500.

I got a unit wide land owner tag in 2009 for $800 in NM GMU 53. Had elk 4 of the 5 days I hunted. I passed on a big 320"+ the first day because I didnt like the shot; then waited for another 6x6 and only say 5x5s and less.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Go to North Fork Idaho, then drive (4 wheel) up on top to Long Tom Lookout and pitch a camp in the designated camp areas..Walk off the mountain each day to the road, you have about 3 or 4 routes down to the road. Have someone designated each day to pick you up on the road and drive you back to camp. Its about 6 or 7 hour hunt off the mountain. Best if there is about 3 inches of snow on the ground, nasty weather and elk go together.

I have shot many bulls on that hunt, but its too tough for me these days at 77 years old..My last hunt there was in 2007..you will have to back pack your elk downhill to the road in blowdown timber or if you can find a packer to get them you will need a chainsaw to get the horses in there and out..It is a tough hunt, but the elk are there for those who can stand the pain. My last hunt there and I had a horse and chain saw and I had to spend two nights on that mountain, it is a cold place to spend the night so be prepared to build a fire and have a shelter like a pop tent or what ever. I built a lean to with a manti, and had a bedroll.

That's a hunt!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northwestern Colorado is an easy draw for cow tags. The bulls are small and not worth the money, but the cow hunting/camping trip is great.

Ray,
Is that area of Idaho overrun with wolves yet? That may change the face of that great hunt.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:

I got a unit wide land owner tag in 2009 for $800 in NM GMU 53. Had elk 4 of the 5 days I hunted. I passed on a big 320"+ the first day because I didnt like the shot; then waited for another 6x6 and only say 5x5s and less.

That's great! tu2

I'd go back there. Big Grin

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
I think Colorado has a 4 person limit on group applications.

There is no limit on the size of group for an elk hunt. You are limited to a maximum of 2 people for goats and sheep only.

quote:
B. Application and Drawing Provisions and Restrictions.

1. General Provisions and Restrictions

a. Number of Applications: No person may submit more than one application per year for the regular drawing process for a limited license for any big game species, nor more than one application per year for a leftover limited license for any species.

b. Additional Choice Applications: Any additional choice on any application must be for the same species as the first choice.

c. Valid Applications: Only complete and correct application forms will be accepted. Any forms involved in a violation of (a) or (b) above will be considered to be incorrect. Any incorrect application by one member of a group will invalidate the entire application.

d. Group Applications: Group applications are accepted for the regular drawing for all species except moose and desert bighorn sheep, with no limit on the number of applicants per group except as follows:

Bighorn Sheep 2 applicant maximum

Mountain Goat 2 applicant maximum

Provided further that residents and nonresidents may not apply for the sheep or mountain goat on same group application.

e. Ranching for Wildlife: Non-residents are not eligible to apply for public Ranching for Wildlife licenses for any big game species.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin,

You may already know this but Montana couldn't even sell all of their elk tags.
I know Montana is a good ways away but is probably a guarantee that your whole party would draw.

Now if I had my druthers I'd pick Colorado too. If nothing else for her scenery and proximity.

I have 8 pts in CO and see no sign of ever getting drawn there.

So I'm cheating and going with Aaron Neilson next year for one of his muy grande elk hunts. Course he won't tell which unit we'll be in... LOL

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin
Its the best hunt I know of if your in condition, young and can make several trips off the mountain with quarters in a pack board in blow down timber most of the time..but there are elk there..Best when the weather is NASTY, thats what I hate about elk...My dad said Elk hunting is akin to masterbation, once you pull the trigger you got a mess on your hands! That about says it all. sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote