Find
Notify
Tools

Burris or Leupold
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted
My brother & I were discussing this since he's in the market for a new scope. Are there any major differences in quality, clarity, customer service between these to products/companies? I've always been a Leupold guy, but I do like the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle. Any thoughts, preferences, or bad experiences with either? Thanks.

Question:
My brother & I were discussing this since he's in the market for a new scope. Are there any major differences in quality, clarity, customer service between these to products/companies? I've always been a Leupold guy, but I do like the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle. Any thoughts, preferences, or bad experiences with either? Thanks.

Choices:
Burris
Leupold

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know what market share Leupold has of the "American made" scopes. Certainly the Japanese and Euro models have dented that, but not yet destroyed their domaince.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several of both I like the Ballistic plex also only had to send one fo the two back for work. That was a Burris was very dissatisfied with Burris customer servive it took me more than a year and sending the scope back to them 6 times.

The new hunter plex from leupold should work jsut as well.

Posts: 19482 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prior to the bloody bankruptcy when I had lots of rifles I had the same Leopold scope on everything (9 rifles) except the 458 WM. THe 458 had a large peep sight with gold bead front as I figured I would not be shooting it at any range. ALL THE REST had VariX III 2.5 x 8.0 x 36 and I never felt I need anything else. I even had it on the .375 H&H.
Now I have only one fifle a Rem 700 Classic in .250 Savage with that same scope. It works for me.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are the majority of the scopes I use and I think Leupold has the edge by far in customer service. I sent one leupold scope back and received a brand new scope. I sent a brand new Burris euro diamond back because the reticle illumination control wouldn't function right and they tore the scope apart,repaired it and return the now repaired scope which was never mounted on any rifle.Not too good, rebuilt scope at new scope price. That didn't sit well with me so now I buy only leupold. For field glasses however I think Leica is the best followed closly by Swarovski.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt the Leupold.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both don't see much difference in quality. I've never had to send either kind back for service. Leupold seems to run about $50+ more for similiar quality. The last 4 scopes I bought were Burris and Nikons.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with Burris, and I own a fistful of Leupolds.

I bought a straight 6X Burris off the 'net about a year ago, and it would not hold zero. I sent it to Burris for repair, and about two weeks later I received a letter and a catalog. The letter explained that the scope was over 12 years old, and although still under warranty, it would take time for parts. They offered me 75% off anything in their catalog if I would let them take the 6X out of circulation. I now own a 30mm 2.8 X 10 Euro Diamond for a bit over $200... I think they went WAY overboard to make me happy.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've talked to numerous riflesmiths about what type of scopes they prefer and what type of service and failures they've seen from each manufacturer.

Hands down leupold wins out on customer service,if and when you need it. Burris was hands down one of the worst turn arounds.

I own both brands in numerous models. I honestly don't believe that burris builds as good of glass as leupold. Burris is still good glass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love this poll...I hate Burris with every ounce of my soul because of their customer service, or lack of customer service, to be more specific. I have posted in the optics forum, and on other forums as well, about my "one week wonder" and will continue to do so until the day I die. I retired a old pair of Leupold binocs and replaced them with a new Christmas present to myself, a set of Burris binocs. By New Years they were seeing double. Sent them back and Burris would not honor their warranty, saying they were abused! Excuse me? One week? For what its worth, if taking them in and out of a day pack on two hunts is abuse, well, that says a ton about their product. Anyway, they stood by their claim and said if I wanted them fixed, send 50-something bucks. I told them to keep the damn piece of crap and I would just get the old Leupolds fixed. Sent the ancient Leupolds back with a letter saying use it for parts or fix them and send me a bill. One week later they are back, good as new with a big ol' "N/C" in the amount due column. I forwarded the Leupold invoice indicating no charge to Burris with a nice letter saying I appreciate Leupold's service and would be sure to spread the word to anyone that would listen about how they (Burris) treats their customers.

Burris: I hope your company never ever sells another single item.

Leupold: Just another feather in their cap regarding the way they take care of their folks.

Just my 2 cents

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot several Vari X 111 Leupold scopes as well as two Burris scopes. A 6 X 24 Signature and a 4 X 16 Signature, both have served me well and have been responsible for several good animals. The difference in my opinion is the coating on the lense, I will explain. With both scopes when facing bright sunlight I see light spots through the Burris scopes, something that does not occur with the Leupold or Ziess that I shoot. I can lower the power of the scope and reduce some but not all of the spots. You tell me, is it the coating or the glass, but at any rate it is there. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2356 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Burris Fullfield 2-1/2X scope great scope at a good price. I bought a Burris compact 2-7X 26mm and it wont hold its zero under different magnifications. I zeroed my BLR in .358win on 7X, when i went to shoot a buck at 35yds on 3X the shots were really off but luckily i got the deer. Same thing happened with the same scope and i thought it was just me but there is definately wrong with it. I just ordered a Leupold 2-1/2X ultra-light scope and i know i will be happy with it.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased several new Burris scopes and have never had any problems. I bought a couple of older ones at gun shows and one of them went bad. I sent to to Burris and they fixed it. I've changed the recticles in a couple of the Burris scopes and the turn around time was very reasonable, less than 4 weeks as I recall, same for the repair job on the older used scope.

I like the Ballistic Plex reticle and if Leupold made something similar on a VX-2 I'd probably buy it.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had about a dozen Leupolds on centerfire rifles and have had a couple of rimfire scopes as well. No problem with any of them over the past 25 years of use so I have no experience with Leupold service. I have one Burris. Broke the reticle in it and had a helluva long wait to get it back. It was early summer when I sent it in and it took several weeks to get it back. By the time it got back to me it was an easy decision: my first and last Burris.

Posts: 30 | Location: alaska | Registered: 11 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please buy the Burris, because then when I want a Leopold, they won't be sold out.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by winggunner:
ALL THE REST had VariX III 2.5 x 8.0 x 36 and I never felt I need anything else. I even had it on the .375 H&H.
QUOTE]

I couldn't stop myself from responding to this. I absolutely agree. For a big game hunting rifle it, no more or less is needed. The 2.5X8 Leupold is the perfect scope for a big game rile. I use this same scope for some long range stuff and it is effective, Although If I were to specificaly have a long range rig built, I may move up to a 10X and 30 mm tube.
I have tried larger objectives and higher powers and I will set my self up for critizism by saying this but they are more weight, more money, bulkier and just plain not nessessary.

OH, yeah...

I like leupold and thier service,

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've always been a fan of supporting home-grown products (except for my Swarovski binoculars). Bought a Burris scope that started flaking the internal metal coating after one week's use. Took it up to Burris (an 85 mile trip) and dropped it off. Waited, and waited, and waited. Then went by Burris while going up to Cheyenne, WY. Still wasn't ready. Did get it back two weeks later.
Leupold? Sent one scope back of all that I do have and got it back within two weeks! Have to agree with Terry Blaukamp.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a straight 6X Burris off the 'net about a year ago, and it would not hold zero. I sent it to Burris for repair, and about two weeks later I received a letter and a catalog. The letter explained that the scope was over 12 years old, and although still under warranty, it would take time for parts. They offered me 75% off anything in their catalog if I would let them take the 6X out of circulation. I now own a 30mm 2.8 X 10 Euro Diamond for a bit over $200... I think they went WAY overboard to make me happy.

I hate to one-up you, but I will:

I had a M8 2x20mm Leupold Handgun scope that was purchased used. The previous owner said he had it for about five years and that he had recieved it used, also.

I wasn't happy with the brightness when I recieved it. It seemed dim and there was a bad glare on the eyepiece lens. Off to Leupold it went.

Less than two weeks later a brand-new FX-II 2x20mm scope showed up. The FX-II is the line that replaced the old M8. The FX-II line has superior coatings.

The scope I sent in retailed for $199 (I purchased it for $130). The scope that Leupold replaced it with, free of charge, retails for $299. The optics are superb, as well.

They didn't make me pay for re-surfacing of the lenses on my old scope, even though I don't think they would have been out of line to do so. They didn't charge the the difference to upgrade to the new one. They didn't offer me a discount. They simply replaced it, at a loss to them, without asking a single question.

That kind of dedication to customer satisfaction and support says a lot about Leupold. I now accept no substitutes (and I was even a serious Leupold-skeptic before this)

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I've got two Burris' and one Leupold. I'd say the Burris' are just as good.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
For all of my serious hunting rifles I have Leupolds on them. I own a few Burris scopes and have had good service from Burris and have had great service from Leupold but for me the deciding factor is purely optics. Leupold wins in my opinion hands down. With my Leupold 3-9x40 vari-x I's and II's and vari-xIII's the eye position is very forgiving, if you are shooting from an odd rest or angle as is often the case where I hunt in the mountains your line up isn't always perfect but the scope still allows you to see through it and make your shot. I've found that Burris' scopes aren't this forgiving in that respect, if you get a little out of perfect alignment it goes black on you. Leupolds are the only scope I've found that are this forgiving when it comes to this.
Strikes me funny that I never hear chatter about this topic when people speak of scopes?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both are a good value and both have excellent service. Over the last couple decades I've used four Burris scopes and managed to break two of them them. Over the same span I've run a half dozen Leupolds and haven't been able to hurt them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have more leupolds than I do Burris but I feel both ae of similar quality however from the Buris I do own they appear a little heavier which may or not be a bad thing. I have not had any failures with Buris products so I can't comment on their service, Leupold' is first class when something goes wrong

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a serious question? Buy the burris so I dont have to pay more for the Leupold.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With my Leupold 3-9x40 vari-x I's and II's and vari-xIII's the eye position is very forgiving, if you are shooting from an odd rest or angle as is often the case where I hunt in the mountains your line up isn't always perfect but the scope still allows you to see through it and make your shot. I've found that Burris' scopes aren't this forgiving in that respect, if you get a little out of perfect alignment it goes black on you. Leupolds are the only scope I've found that are this forgiving when it comes to this.
Strikes me funny that I never hear chatter about this topic when people speak of scopes?

Snellstrom: You've nailed a critical factor in scope performance: Wide latitude in eye placement. Leupold gives up a little in Field of View in order to make the eye placement (both fore and aft and side-to-side) more forgiving. This is a very favorable optical trade-off in a riflescope. I, too, am surprised that few people ever mention it, or even seem to be aware of it. I have a friend who simply gave up on a Burris 4-12 compact due to its extremely critical eye window -- he just couldn't reliably obtain the sight picture in a reasonable length of time.

Many of the high-priced European scopes have this same failing. In order to either make the eye relief constant in a variable, or to make the FOV as wide as possible (or both), they necessarily make the sight window very, very small and critical. Maybe this is okay for a celestial telescope to gaze at stars, but when you throw your rifle to your shoulder to sight at game, you want to acquire the sight picture instantly, as well as be able to shoot from a somewhat awkward position that may not be conducive to perfect eye placement.

Among all of the scopes I've ever looked through, Leupold is the most forgiving in eye placement. I'll gladly give up 6% of the FOV for this latitude.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
For all of my serious hunting rifles I have Leupolds on them. I own a few Burris scopes and have had good service from Burris and have had great service from Leupold but for me the deciding factor is purely optics. Leupold wins in my opinion hands down. With my Leupold 3-9x40 vari-x I's and II's and vari-xIII's the eye position is very forgiving, if you are shooting from an odd rest or angle as is often the case where I hunt in the mountains your line up isn't always perfect but the scope still allows you to see through it and make your shot. I've found that Burris' scopes aren't this forgiving in that respect, if you get a little out of perfect alignment it goes black on you. Leupolds are the only scope I've found that are this forgiving when it comes to this.

This is very interesting and thanks for passing it on. I have never used anything other than a Leupold.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never once heard anyone say,"My Leupold is as good as a Burris". I think that speaks volumes.

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I own both. Vx-1 3-9x40,VX-3 2.5-8 and a fullfield II 3-9X40. The VX-1 and Fullfield II comparison(same price) leupold wins on eye relief on 9 power and the burris gets a fuzzy ring at the outer edges on 9 power. Both seem to be reliable but that was my last burris. Buy leupold they are just better in my opinion. The VX-III 2.5-8X36 is awesome to say the least. My Leupold is better than my Burris!

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Sakoluver hit the nail on the head! Amen brother.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The VX-1 and Fullfield II comparison(same price) leupold wins on eye relief on 9 power and the burris gets a fuzzy ring at the outer edges on 9 power.

I get the same thing with my Fullfield II 3x9. Annoys the hell out of me and this scope's time has come to move on. I have 2 Leupold VX II's that are clearer at 12x.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a Leupold as good as a Burris Signature series. I have several of both and I'll take a Burris.

Center of the Nation Outfitters

Posts: 39 | Location: Gillette Wy. | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Cal...keep 'em. Hope you never ever have to have any warranty work done on your burris scopes...God help ya!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they still have it but about 15 years ago I bought a 1.75-6 Burris and mounted it on my 340 Wby. I sent the scope back to Burris three times trying to get a serious zero wandering issues repaired. Third time I got the scope back it worked but the front bell, lens coating, and locking ring were all scratched.

Happy to get the scope back in action I took it bear hunting were it appeared as if my luck was about to change. Directly below the landing I was standing on was the largest bear I had seen in years. I aimed quickly and shot. Then a millisecond later I was sure that my gun had blown up.

After it became clear that it was the extended occular that bit me I put a Leupold back on and never looked back.

Flinched for years...But never looked back.

Burris and bigger guns don't mix...unless you like scars, stitches, and crappy customer service!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote