Find
Notify
Tools

Even More Antelope Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Well, just got back from an antelope hunt on the LE ranch outside of Roswell NM. Didn't see any aliens, but lots of goats.

Bought the hunt through Ray.

Because of the lack of rain the past two years, horn size was way down. But it was a mess of fun (except for the two Firestone tread seperations going and coming from the hunt).

Met 'Ter' from the forums on the hunt.

Here are some photos. I haven't had time to clean them up more. I'll post more picts and a full report later:

Bob's Antelope. This was Bob's first big game hunt. He stalked up to within a few yards a couple of times on this goat:

-

Eric's goat. Eric hunts from a quad due to a spinal injury. We got to watch Eric stalk on this goat as well as another:

-

And my 'lope. Shot him after watching Eric stalk up on a bunch. We were watching from about a 1000 yrds away. They ended up running my way. I was able to get in position and take him from about 150 yrds:

-

LIke I said, I'll post a detailed report in the Hunt Report Forum later.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice, sounds like the hunting was good. Glad to see some of the physically challenged do get out there and have the opportunity to hunt.

Posts: 19239 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Thanks!! Eric and I have been friends since High School. We used to backpack and hunt together before his injury. He hasn't let much slow him down since his accident and we hunt deer together every year. Don't tell him, but he's my hero...

Trying to talk Eric and Bob into doing Africa with me one of these days.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics, looks like you had a ball! Weidmannsheil to all!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats guys!!

It sounds like you had a great hunt......

I'll look forward to hearing the details.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drought or no drought, there's nothing wrong with them-there horns at all!! Nice job.

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Spike>
posted
Looks like you got a nice one, Steve.

Way to go.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the kind comments, folks.

Spike: You, Sheister, and I should get togther again. If Shiester is going to be doing a collective viewing of Saeed's tape soon, maybe I can invite myself..?

I still have his catalog and I think that he has one of my tapes, so I have to hook up with him anyway.

Take Care,

-Steve

-Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have some pictures to send in soon. I had a great time with all the guys. D.K.Boyd,who owns the land we hunted on,cooked a great Mexican meal on saturday evening. We sat around in the dark talking and smoking fine cigars and imbibing some fine spirits. A dry lighting storm was giving a great show off in the distance. This was what great memories are made of. The antilopes were plentiful and the hunt was as easy or hard as you wanted to make it. Ter

Posts: 89 | Location: Baker City, Ore | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
Steve,
Great trophies and photos! Well done! You've got some nice hooks on that speed goat.

Ter,
That storm that you watched off in the distance was apparently the one that kicked our butts Saturday afternoon. We were hunting North of Ft Sumner and we got hammered with rain for several hours.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have this figured out. Here are the pictures from my antelope hunt in N.M. Steve helped me get this done. Thanks Steve. Rifle is a Ruger No.1 in 25-06. Ter  -  -

Posts: 89 | Location: Baker City, Ore | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Ter,

Glad you got the picts and were able to get them posted.

Great Goat, BTW!! [Big Grin]

-Steve

posted Hide Post
nice looking pictures, I head to Wyo. in a couple of days and I hope for the same results.

Posts: 27 | Location: los anchorage AK | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve and all,
Remember that DK was not at all satisfied with the quality of antelope you shot for that ranches average.

Although they are pretty good looking representitive trophies. he offered to make up for there quality by letting you have a very discounted antelope hunt next year or a Mule Deer hunt for that matter, or a partial or complete refund, it was up to you, and although you declined we will certainly oblidge you with that discounted hunt next year...

Antelope on the LE during a normal year will be 16 to 17 plus inches and thats what we sell and thats is what we represented to you, so we will take the lick'en on your next booking...

DK enjoyed your company and Ken looked over some three or four buck Muleys on the LE that he said all went over 28 inches and thats not surprising as they have some monsters, and the drouth didn't seem to bother the Mule Deer as they are browsers, the antelope are grazers and grass goes first in a drouth..

DK did tell me that you were all sportsman of the highest order and he was pleased to have hunted you...DK is a stand up man, that does things right.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote