New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Mark V+.257 Weatherby=?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, i found a left handed german weatherby Mark V over on gunsamerica, at one of the lowest prices i have seen for a weatherby LH. It is in .257 Weaterby, but the barrel was replaced or something because it is 24" long. I was thinking this would be a nice cartridge and rifle combo to play with. What do you guys think? It would be used for whitetails and maybe mulies and lopes. I would probably put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40AO ontop.

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
A lot of Weatherby's came with factory 24" barrels. I have a German made one with a 24" barrel and rare Ultramark also witha 24" barrel. I know there are lots of folks out there who've shot a LOT more deer than I have, but I've probably taken close to 85 deer in my life and nothing, but nothing seems to "electrify" deer like the 257 Weatherby with 100gr bullets. If the price is as goos as you say it it, I'd buy it. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great deer round, but it won't reach its full potential with a 24" barrel.

That said, it won't have any trouble putting down a NH white-tail (or moose or bear with heavy, premium bullets).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 257 wby and though I dont shoot it much anymore, it is in the top 5 closest cartridges to a lightning bolt on small game, deer ect...

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
'Druther have a 26 inch tube, but if it's a good deal, it's a good deal. I've read where the 257 was Roy Weatherby's personal favorite of the cartridges he developed. He used it on African plains game, including zebra.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a mk V in .257wby.I like the cartridge but the gun was not overly accurate.A match grade barrel was installed and the action bedded properly and the result was a sub 1/2" gun.I took a dozen or so deer,a few pronghorns,a goat and an elk with the cartridge and was very pleased with the results.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The most consistently accurate rifles I own are Weatherbys, my 257 Ultramark is a regular 3/8" shooter. All others come in at well under 1" right out of the box. Guess I'm just lucky. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge: I am certain that you are lucky, but I will say that my experience Weatherbys seems to be the same as yours...The Weatherby action and accuracy of the rifles I own has always been exceptional. How well the rifle shoots is always dependent on how well I am shooting.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sentiments exactly. I shoot a .257 Wby Accumark that will drill very small groups all day if I do my part. My grandson has killed a dozen deer with it and swears by the rifle mounted with a 6 x 24 Burris Signature. It likes Berger 110 grainers and Nosler Ballistic Tip 115 grainers for targets and Nosler Partitions in 115 and 120 grainers for game. RL-22 and Fed 215M primers do the trick. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
rwj/phurley: Of course I know Weatherbys are accurate. I was being "tongue-in-cheek" as a retort to well, never mind. Suffice to say, Weatherbys are not perfect, but for the money, you can't beat them. jorge

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
NH,

I too am a lefty and the .257 Weatherby is one that I eventualy wish to acquire. A client of mine with a fairly large collection lists the .257 Weatherby at the top of his list of favorites and ideal whitetail/muley gun. If it is a good deal, don't let it slip by. All too often I have missed a great deal on an ideal left-handed gun.

George

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wrote this big long (nice IMO) response to this and wouldn't you know it my internet provide shut down on me again. So I'll be quick and brief.

In my experience the 257 Roy is a wonderful round, I just ordered a Vanguard for my wife in that cal, if she likes how the rifle feels it'll be hers for all that comes along.

Lastly on the issue of 26" vs 24". I believe in picking a length based on feel and not performance. And here is why.

I've done a fair bit of testing in taking barrels in the 25" to 26" range and cutting them down 3" to see what happens to the speed. One of the tubes I worked with was a 26" 257 Roy and I cut it to 23" from 26".

The final total loss after abbreviating those 3" was a bit over 90 fps. About 30 fps per inch. Personally,I would argue that this deal about the extra length is basically a non issue. (at least to me I just don't worry anymore about what 100 fps may or may do for me).

That's it guys I hope this will send.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I haven't taken it hunting yet, but my last rifle was a .257 Wby on a Vanguard action. I put a 25in Douglass barrel on it. I have great hopes that it will turn into a perfect two-taco desert mule deer and 'lope rifle.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote