Find
Notify
Tools

WYOMING ELK ZONE 125
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
Can anyone tell me about access in Zone 125 for left over Elk tags?

I drew Antelope tags for zone 50 and will put in for left over Elk if access can be arranged.

Thanks in advance,

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Saratoga, and all I can tell you is there is quite a bit of private land in that area. North of I80 I think most is public, but south is hit and miss, kind of checker boarded. My wife shot a cow there a few years back, but some of the land owners allowed access for late season cows only. THat was in November. The were easy to find, get on a high ridge and glass, and you could find as many as 300 head together out in the sage brush. Then all you have to do is get access. Or know where you were going. The entire Pass Creek road, both sides is private and many of the elk come off Elk Mountain, to winter down low near there. Check the WG&F site and see if there are any walk in access areas. You might even find a landowner charging a tresspass fee. I have heard there are a few elk stay in the lower parts of that area, all year long, but mostly I think it is migratory late season area, no snow or weather no elk.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
I used to live in Saratoga, and all I can tell you is there is quite a bit of private land in that area. North of I80 I think most is public, but south is hit and miss, kind of checker boarded. My wife shot a cow there a few years back, but some of the land owners allowed access for late season cows only. THat was in November. The were easy to find, get on a high ridge and glass, and you could find as many as 300 head together out in the sage brush. Then all you have to do is get access. Or know where you were going. The entire Pass Creek road, both sides is private and many of the elk come off Elk Mountain, to winter down low near there. Check the WG&F site and see if there are any walk in access areas. You might even find a landowner charging a tresspass fee. I have heard there are a few elk stay in the lower parts of that area, all year long, but mostly I think it is migratory late season area, no snow or weather no elk.

Really appreciate your input, not sure what I will do. Any other thoughts?
Any information on zone 12?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I moved away from Saratoga 14 years ago, but up unitl that time, I hunted area 12 every year. Pennock Mtn. You used to be able to drive up the west side, then hunt basically the entire top and sides. I shot 11 bulls in that area. I am not sure what access it like there any more as there was a lot of atv abuse (people actually building log bridges across canyons) and I heard they closed the road and limited atv and vehicle trails. Just not sure. The elk will come off the west side and go down on the pivots and eat in the night and return to the mountian during the day and lay in the timber, especially in a dry year. If you have to walk up it is a tough haul. THere are some roads on the east side, the later you go the better as the elk settle down and the number of hunters drops off. I would think the hunting would be better than 125.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to hunter access, on the Wg&F web site. Look for elk mountain hunter management area. 125 is open to a considerable amount of access, particularly north of rattlesnake road. THis is a county road. You do have quite a bit of access, but the key is wether the elk are there when you antelope hunt.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Kudu56,

Thanks for you help on this. I have Antelope Tags for Area 50. The cost of an Elk Tag in 125 for any elk will be worth the "education".

Area 12 overlaps antelope 50 and would probably be a better bet but the only left over tags are for cow....

Decision time draws near Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Decision time draws near

I know and I haven't decided either. bewildered