THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming teen convicted on poaching charge
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming teen convicted on poaching charge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by smarterthanu posted 22 April 2011 18:42

I'm sorry, did you say something?

I've had you on ignore for some time now, but anytime you immediately follow one of my posts, I'm pretty sure it's drivel. We all know that you condone poaching. You're on record as condoning it all over these forums.

I find that a little strange from someone that claims to be a taxidermist because if you're caught with poached animals in your shop you would be held liable. Most people in the hunting and wildife industry take a very dim view of poaching and don't climb up on a soapbox to condone it.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had you on ignore for some time now, but anytime you immediately follow one of my posts, I'm pretty sure it's drivel. We all know that you condone poaching.More lies You're on record as condoning it all over these forums.Only under certian extreme circumstances.

I find that a little strange from someone that claims to be a taxidermist because if you're cuaght with poached animals in your shop you would be held liableMore Lies. Most people in the hunting and wildife industry take a very dim view of poaching and don't climb up on a soapbox to condone it.More lies

Have you ever told the truth, and do you know anything about the law? I doubt it.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by smarterthanu posted 22 April 2011 21:45

I'm sorry. It seems as though my drivel filter is still in place. That will be all. You may go out and play like a good little boy.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry. It seems as though my drivel filter is still in place. That will be all. You may go out and play like a good little boy.

Like most liars you are afraid of truth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by smarterthanu posted 22 April 2011 22:37

Yep, filter still fully operational. This is fun! I can play this game all day!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cuckoo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by smarterthanu posted 23 April 2011 00:20

Man, this drivel filter is a neat feature. Allows you to completely disregard anything not worthy of reading, which is just about anything this guy posts.

So much fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Flags old buddy! I see why you have this guy on your ignore list if he's been all over this BB with BS like this one thread I happened to get on. I hunted that general area near Worland we're talking about legally for 8 days of the 10 day season a couple years ago and I feel that after 57 years of hunting that I more than know what I'm doing. The deer are few and far between in unit 164 where this poaching took place (locals call it "the badlands")and that's why it's a separate season from the rest of Region M so that most nonresidents don't hunt it, but rather the lengthier seasons that start on 10/15 to the east and last for up to 3 weeks. In that 8 days of hard hunting I didn't see a total of 30 deer and only 2 were bucks, one a small forky and another small 4x4 that I didn't even look twice at. I see more than that where I normally hunt out there in a few hours every day! For this 18 year old punk that one member knows and says isn't even out of high school yet to do that sucks the big banana!!! Loss of his hunting licenses for life might be a little much, but this poaching has to stop and the only way to do it is to severely punish the ones who are caught, no matter their age, so that others that might do it tow the line. This kid was obviously dumb for not only doing it, but for letting it be known that he was the great white hunter and got caught in his lies. He didn't have any kind of a valid license, yet was carrying a rifle while with a cousin who had a whitetail license when the poaching occurred! That shows intent to violate the law and the sucker got caught like a lot do for flaunting it right out on the internet!!! ANY poaching incident is a major violation IMHO and it's too bad he doesn't get to do hard labor for a year or two to get it through to him and other potential violators that the lawful public citizens are tired of this crappola!!! Have a great Easter weekend my friend!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Top. How ya doin? Welcome to AR. I've been posting here for a little over 11 years now. All in all, it's a pretty good site. But as with all sites, there are some folks that try and be a little overbearing. But, unlike NAHC, the ignore button here works real good.

My attitude towards poaching is real simple. Hold them accountable. Normally I wouldn't want a lifetime ban of priviliges, but what this punk did was wanton and willing abuse of a public held resource. Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, but I can't forgive this type of action.

Poaching gives each and every one of us a black eye. They need to get serious about addressing the problem. In many areas of the west, trophy deer and elk are getting hammered hard by poachers and the chinese market for bear parts is getting the black bears smacked too. It simply can not be condoned and can not be forgiven in this day and age. What was acceptable 30 years ago is not acceptable today.

Have a good holiday Buddy. Some day we need to share an elk or deer camp in either Colo or Wy.

Cheers

Flags

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree with you more pardner! Sharing a camp one of these seasons would also really be cool. I don't know if you saw the picture on the NAHC BB of the 357 3/8" bull I helped my buddy take last Fall in Wyoming, but if you haven't and would like to see a couple pictures, send me your email addy. I have a full slate already this coming Fall, what with helping my WY buddy on a bow hunt for a good bull on a 2 week Sept. tag he drew in AZ, followed by over a month of deer/elk hunting up in Wy, and then a week of bird hunting with my dog up in ND. Then I'll be rushing back here to MI for a couple days of yard work before heading up to my place in northern MI for a couple weeks the last half of November for our whitetail rifle season. I'm really trying to take full advantage of my retirement years before I get too old and can't do all I'm able to right now. The weather has been so lousy up here that we haven't even been able to get out and chase a turkey around since the season opened last Monday and the weather forecast for the next 10 days also sucks. It looks like my attorney friend here in town will hardly have any time to get his bird in this first two week season. I'm glad I picked the late season again and will have all of May to fill my tag! Take care guy!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to do some good hunting this fall Top. Didn't get to go at all last year. I ended up spending the entire season on Camp Legeune in NC at some Riverine Combat Schools. Basically I was in school from mid May until the end of Dec.

I've put in for deer, elk, moose and antelope in Colo. Plus antelope in Wy and moose in NH. And since I'm now in VA, I'll be able to chase whitetails, turkeys and black bear for about 5 months there. I still maintain a residence in FL so I may do some deer hunting in the swamps as well.

Go to the hunt forum on this site and look for Mac's 2004 Cameroon Safari. That shows some pretty good animals from when I hunted there. Took a huge Western Roan on that trip.

Cheers

Flags

One of Us
posted Hide Post
moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enough chatting. I'm heading to Co. to look for that four horned mulie in the Walmart parking lot. Wish me luck! Cool

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NINE YEAR INVESTIGATION RESULTS IN CONVICTION OF REPEAT POACHER CODY- An investigation spanning nine years, involving several cooperating agencies and two States is came to a close with the sentencing of Gary C. Vorhies (formally of Greybull, WY) for the illegal killing of four whitetail buck deer. Vorhies was sentenced by Circuit Court Judge Thomas Harrington, September 12, 2009. Vorhies initially pleaded not guilty to the violations—later he changed his mind. In a letter to Judge Harrington, Vorhies requested that his court appointed counsel be released and that he be allowed to change his plea. Harrington approved his request and Vorhies pleaded no contest to three of the four charges against him and guilty to the fourth charge. After Harrington established a factual basis for the charges he accepted Vorhies plea and pronounced sentence.
Vorhies will remain in the Big Horn County jail for an additional 311 days, pay $17,000 in fines and $10,000 in restitution. Restitution is compensation for the loss of the resource to the State. Vorhies was credited for 54 days already served in jail. Three additional one year jail sentences were suspended provided he does not violate the law during that period. For a period of four years after his release he will be on supervised probation during which time he will not be allowed to possess any type of equipment designed to take wildlife or be in the presence of anyone involved with the take of any wildlife or be found on public lands where wildlife is present. These lands also include private lands enrolled in the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s Walk-In and Hunter Management Areas. Judge Harrington stated that Vorhies is also prohibited from antler hunting on public lands while on probation. Vorhies’ hunting, fishing and trapping license privileges were previously revoked by the Park County Court until 2051.

This is what's wrong with government agencies. How many tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars did the state spend investigating one man over a nine year span for poaching Four Deer? That same money could have been spent changing the carrying capacity of thousands of acres, to produce hundreds of more deer that you could be hunting. They could have positively effected the range habitat for nine years therefore allowing for more licenses to be sold, allowing for more revenue for the state, therefore allowing for more hunters dollars to be used for conservation. Instead they pissed it away for nine years going after some dumbass that killed four deer. They don't investigate kiddy rapers for nine years!

What you don't know about Gary Vorhies SMU, is that this guy is a serial poacher and has illegally killed more trophy class animals than you have ever seen. We pay game wardens to protect our wildlife resource here in WY, and I for one think they do a pretty good job.

More on Vorhies:
quote:
A serial poacher with ties to Cody is in jail in Big Horn County after more than three years out of state.

“He was aware these charges were pending against him,” game warden Bill Robertson of Greybull said. “That has kept him from returning to Wyoming.”

Gary Vorhies, 47, faces poaching charges from three incidents:

•In fall 1999, Game & Fish says Vorhies poached a 4x4 white-tailed buck with a broken brow tine near Greybull, his former home.

Robertson said the deer had an unusual tine. It was taken out of season and while Vorhies was suspended from hunting.

Robertson said Vorhies used an interstate game tag falsely obtained and declared the deer was killed in 1990.

•In September 2000, Vorhies allegedly shot a five-point white-tail deer near Burlington without a license.

•In November 2000, Vorhies allegedly guided an out-of-state hunter west of Shell to a white-tailed buck, which the hunter shot. Vorhies told him not to tag it and guided him to another, G&F say. The hunter took home the meat from both. Later that day, Vorhies allegedly shot another deer without a license.

Robertson said consequences may be pending for the out-of-state hunter, who has cooperated with G&F.

The investigation into the three incidents began as G&F wrapped up a case against Vorhies in Cody, but the evidence took months and even years to surface, Robertson says.

For example, the broken-tine deer showed up at a taxidermist but then disappeared, only to resurface later with another taxidermist.

With Vorhies in Colorado, establishing a case against him became more challenging.

“To leave the state and interview him took quite a bit of effort,” Robertson said.

Deputy Big Horn County Attorney Jim Hallman said Vorhies has been charged with three misdemeanors: taking an antlered deer without a license, conspiracy to take an antlered deer without a license and wanton destruction of a big game animal.

All are misdemeanors with a maximum sentence of one year in prison each. Destruction of a big game animal is punishable by a maximum fine of $2,000.

The charges of conspiracy and taking big game without a license carry a fine of $5,000-$10,000 each.

Vorhies appeared in circuit court Aug. 5 and pleaded not guilty. Bond is set at $28,000, and trial is scheduled for January. Hallman said Vorhies waived extradition from Colorado and remains in the Big Horn County Jail.

Vorhies in Cody

Vorhies became notorious in Cody after two poaching incidents.

“In Mr. Vorhies’ words, he’s like an alcoholic who can’t not take the next drink. He has no ability not to take the next shot,” game warden Craig Sax said.

“Guys like this simply will not stop poaching,” Sax said. “He has no self-control and will not stop.”

In 1992, Vorhies was convicted of poaching the “Growler Elk,” a 365 in Boone and Crockett scoring. He published pictures of the animal in hunting magazines.

Shot on the Two Dot Ranch, Growler became part of an G&F antipoaching display in the Casper regional office. The mount was later stolen from the building and remains at-large.

Robertson said Growler and a trophy-class mule deer were both stolen.

“There were no suspects identified. There’s been no leads,” Robertson said. However, Vorhies apparently had been in the office that week and is a “person of interest,” he added.

Bighorn rams

On Christmas Eve 2000, Sax received a call from a man who’d been taking pictures of bighorn sheep near Newton Creek on the North Fork.

He told Sax one of the bands of sheep no longer had its big ram. He looked at another spot he’d seen sheep and noticed a dead ram on the hillside.

“I think somebody shot it,” the man told Sax.

Sax began to look for suspects and soon spotted Vorhies and Cody J. Canady in a pickup with blood on the tailgate.

They told Sax they’d been taking pictures and had no weapons.

Sax looked behind the truck seat and saw a rifle.

“They went with a plan to kill bighorn sheep,” he said.

Then-sheriff’s deputy Scott Steward and then-Division of Criminal Investigation agent Bryan Skoric arrived, warning Sax that Vorhies was a known poacher and had a warrant out for failure to pay a fine for employment fraud.

When Vorhies learned his truck would be impounded, “he proclaimed that he wanted to talk to me,” Sax said.

Vorhies admitted killing two bighorn rams. Sax found in Vorhies’ backpack a scrotum, backstraps, knives, a camera, a saw, hunting vest and other gear.

Pictures on the camera showed Vorhies and Canady posing with a slain ram. In one trophy picture, they are shaking hands above the animal.

In the truck’s toolbox, Sax found a ram’s head and cape. Sax later found the body hidden under branches against a tree on a steep slope.

The other ram was killed from the road and left to die with an arrow behind its shoulder. Sax said it was in too visible a location for them to risk harvesting it.

In court, G&F testified that it takes luck to draw a bighorn ram tag (a four in 100 chance) or an average of $38,700 to buy one at auction.

Sax said thousands of people wait for the opportunity to hunt the animals.

“The demand outstrips the supply, and that’s why they’re such a valuable trophy,” he said.

In 2001, Vorhies was sentenced to four years jail with $52,000 in fines and restitution for two counts of wantonly taking a bighorn ram and two counts of taking the animals with no license. The two year jail sentence was suspended, and he ended up spending only about one year in jail, Sax said.

Vorhies was banned from possessing or being near hunting equipment, watching hunting, having contact with hunters or with Sax and being in national forests or state parks. His pickup was forfeited to the state.

Vorhies told the court poaching made him “feel alive.”

Wildlife are not safe if Vorhies possesses a gun, Sax testified at the sentencing hearing.

“The person who chooses not to take the shot is the real sportsman, not the one killing everything he sees,” Sax said.

“He’s left a trail of death, but real hunters know it’s the hunt itself,” Sax said. “He has a different agenda than the rest of us.”

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What you don't know about Gary Vorhies SMU, is that this guy is a serial poacher and has illegally killed more trophy class animals than you have ever seen. We pay game wardens to protect our wildlife resource here in WY, and I for one think they do a pretty good job.

I am pretty sure everyone here knows the guy is a dirtbag. However the game wardens ate up nine years of funds to nail him on 4 poached deer! Quit paying the game wardens to waste your money. Pay it to biologists and the "demand won't outstrip the supply" anymore. As for all the trophy class animals he has killed I wasn't impressed by his dead deer list. Wouldn't you like more tags available for you and your family? Too bad you can't have them because the state is spending tens of thousands of dollars chasing guys to put them in jail for one year. Who cares if you take his hunting priviliges away when apparently his crimes never included those privileges anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only one thing I can conclude from smu's posts: he's OK with poaching. If you follow his logic you would allow all crime to go unpunished if it takes a long time and a lot of money to catch up to the perp. And, this was a crime.

Obviously, there were factors which we did/do not know for why it took so long to catch this guy. So, your willing to give these people a pass so you can have more game to hunt? Sorry, JUSTICE does not work that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a cost to benefit scale it was a huge waste of tax payer dollars! Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent to lock the guy up for a year??? Makes no sense.
The game dept. head should have teamed up with the IRS and got this guy on taxes instead...something with some teeth.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only one thing I can conclude from smu's posts: he's OK with poaching. Roll Eyes If you follow his logic you would allow all crime to go unpunished if it takes a long time and a lot of money to catch up to the perp. And, this was a crime. Nope. Never said that or think that. Why do I feel like I am dealing with woman logic here?

Obviously, there were factors which we did/do not know for why it took so long to catch this guy. NINE YEARS! Maybe some of the investigators died of old age before they made the collar????So, your willing to give these people a pass so you can have more game to hunt? Sorry, JUSTICE does not work that way.
JUSTICE????? You think this is justice. A government that takes your tax dollars by force and then pisses it away on a nine year investigation, to put a guy in jail for one year???? Every single person here wants more hunting opportunities and thats what investing in Habitat management will get you. Not paying a fish cop to hand out tickets. Find out what your states primary wildlife management model is and see how they allocate funds to achieve it, and then talk about justice. See how much money is spent on Biologists and habitat management compared to law enforcement, then talk about justice. That used to be your money before they took it, but maybe you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to pay taxes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
On a cost to benefit scale it was a huge waste of tax payer dollars! Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent to lock the guy up for a year??? Makes no sense.
The game dept. head should have teamed up with the IRS and got this guy on taxes instead...something with some teeth.

Perry

Last time I checked, the majority of state wildlife agencies (Wyoming included) are not funded by tax payer dollars.

Dollars spent by hunters and anglers on licenses, excise taxes on sporting goods and ammunition is what funds these agencies. As a sportsman, I'm glad someone is out there protecting the wildlife resource. After being convicted on illegally killing a trophy class bull elk, two trophy bighorn sheep, and four whitetail buck deer over the course of 15 years what else do you think this guys has in his shed? He has robbed more opportunity from legal hunters that either of you can imagine and needed to be stopped.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last time I checked, the majority of state wildlife agencies (Wyoming included) are not funded by tax payer dollars.

Dollars spent by hunters and anglers on licenses, excise taxes on sporting goods and ammunition is what funds these agencies.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but if it is, you are making smarterthanu sound well, smarther than you. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
smu- You are confusing the issue. This is about justice concerning crimes committed. Taxes, funding, F&G management policies are a different matter. I too, like most, do not like waste & mismanagement in gov't but I am not willing to let that interfere with the pursuit of justice. (And, yes, I do pay significant taxes, more than most.)

Further, this started out on the subject of the criminal's 2010 offense. Then, you got adrift by bringing in the nine yr old investigation, as if that supports your contentions. You also make assumptions about the effort & cost of bringing the guy to justice. There is only the report of how long it took to catch the man. Nothing is detailed of how the investifation was conducted & what it cost.

We know that the perp went out of state & that complicated matters. We also do not know if there was a continuing, ongoing investigation for nine yrs; I suppose not. Like many investigations they start & stop, then pick up again, etc.

This guy is an egregiously, serial poacher. They should have pursued him even if it took 20 years! He was not going to stop & may be at it again after he complets the current sentence. Put it another way; if this were a serial pedophile would you give him a pass because it took a long time & great expense to catch up with him?

Rather than lighten up on this guy I would rather see effort spent making sentencing more harsh. (The original sentence was four yrs, still not harsh enough, PLUS monetary fines and restitution. For some crazy reason he only served about one year.) I would point out that the fines & restitution, at the very least, offset the costs of bringing the guy to justice.

Vorhies was sentenced in 2001; any indication he has offended again? Maybe he learned his lesson. I have been reading a few accounts lately of harsher sentences for game violations; hope so.

smu- I guess we will just have to agree to disagree about this subject. That's one of the things so great about this country,; we have the freedom (and the opportunity) to spout our opinions.
one year.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
smu- You are confusing the issue. This is about justice concerning crimes committed. Taxes, funding, F&G management policies are a different matter. I too, like most, do not like waste & mismanagement in gov't but I am not willing to let that interfere with the pursuit of justice. What if the government wants to spend nine years and millions of dollars to catch one repeat DWI offender? Meanwhile the guy that breaks into houses and sodomizes little girls gets about two weeks and a couple of phone calls and thats called an investigation?(And, yes, I do pay significant taxes, more than most.)

Further, this started out on the subject of the criminal's 2010 offense. Then, you got adrift by bringing in the nine yr old investigation,Nope. Go back and read. Someone else brought that to the table. as if that supports your contentions. You also make assumptions about the effort & cost of bringing the guy to justice. There is only the report of how long it took to catch the man. Nothing is detailed of how the investifation was conducted & what it cost.Do you think paying those wardens for nine years is chump change?

We know that the perp went out of state & that complicated matters. We also do not know if there was a continuing, ongoing investigation for nine yrs; I suppose not. Like many investigations they start & stop, then pick up again, etc.

This guy is an egregiously, serial poacher. They should have pursued him even if it took 20 years! He was not going to stop & may be at it again after he complets the current sentence. Put it another way; if this were a serial pedophile would you give him a pass because it took a long time & great expense to catch up with him?Sexual assault and poaching aren't even in the same ballpark. But if you want a better example, If this guy shot my dog I would not want the county spending nine years and unlimited dollars catching him, and this deer is no better than my dog, or yours. Its just an animal.

Rather than lighten up on this guy I would rather see effort spent making sentencing more harsh. (The original sentence was four yrs, still not harsh enough, PLUS monetary fines and restitution. For some crazy reason he only served about one year.) I would point out that the fines & restitution, at the very least, offset the costs of bringing the guy to justice.Even if they get payed which they won't just to house the guy for one year in a state prison is an average of 54K a year in Texas. I can't imagine Wyoming being much cheeper.

Vorhies was sentenced in 2001; any indication he has offended again? Maybe he learned his lesson. I have been reading a few accounts lately of harsher sentences for game violations; hope so.

smu- I guess we will just have to agree to disagree about this subject. That's one of the things so great about this country,; we have the freedom (and the opportunity) to spout our opinions.
one year.)

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Vorhies? Eeker

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up until about three years ago the WG&F was funded totally by license sales. Now they get a small portion from tax dollars.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The kid did something stupid and is going to pay the price. I think he will learn a lesson from this. I don't think he should lose his hunting rights for the rest of his life for poaching a deer on his first offense. It's not like he walked in a mall and shot people he shot a deer that 99% of people would not have a chance to shoot. I would bet it lived mostly on private land.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose_drool:
quote:

Perry

Dollars spent by hunters and anglers on licenses, excise taxes on sporting goods and ammunition is what funds these agencies. As a sportsman, I'm glad someone is out there protecting the wildlife resource. After being convicted on illegally killing a trophy class bull elk, two trophy bighorn sheep, and four whitetail buck deer over the course of 15 years what else do you think this guys has in his shed? He has robbed more opportunity from legal hunters that either of you can imagine and needed to be stopped.

I agree that he should be stopped and punished but the cost/benefit ratio is WAY off on this one. "tax payer" was simply a way of saying our money as hunters, not necessarily true tax payer dollars.
What makes you think there is much more than what they found? I'm not disagreeing, just wondering. i would think with short seasons, lengthy hunts and nine years of survielence he probably did not get away with much.

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The kid did something stupid and is going to pay the price. I think he will learn a lesson from this. I don't think he should lose his hunting rights for the rest of his life for poaching a deer on his first offense. It's not like he walked in a mall and shot people he shot a deer that 99% of people would not have a chance to shoot. I would bet it lived mostly on private land.

It was private, but was shot in a walk in area, open to the public. He was shot during a late whitetail season in 164. This buck spent most of the summer and early fall in area 125, (seen him numerous times every summer and early fall, over several years), and on private (accessable) and BLM. Each fall after 164 would close, mid Oct. this buck would simply cross the highway from area 125 into 164. 125 is a November season. How else do you think he got so big? Lots of people knew about him and many took photos of him.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was private, but was shot in a walk in area, open to the public. He was shot during a late whitetail season in 164. This buck spent most of the summer and early fall in area 125, (seen him numerous times every summer and early fall, over several years), and on private (accessable) and BLM. Each fall after 164 would close, mid Oct. this buck would simply cross the highway from area 125 into 164. 125 is a November season. How else do you think he got so big? Lots of people knew about him and many took photos of him.

Do you have any pics of this deer (live or dead), if so, please post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a shame but people make mistakes and do stupid things and when you are young it happens even more often. I would bet with the 9 g's he has to pay and the 5 years he can't hunt he won't do it again unless he is truly stupid.

www.kafirearmsllc.com/

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
How the hell does anyone equate an 18 year old with being a "Kid"????????

He is an ADULT, he can serve in the military and vote, that is an adult by anyone's standard.

What if he had been 19? Would he still be a kid making a mistake?

Why are so many people willing to turn their head about poaching?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He is an ADULT, he can serve in the military and vote, that is an adult by anyone's standard.

Have lots of people referred to this person as a "kid"? YES

Has one person here said because he is young he should be let off the hook for these charges? Nope. Not a single one. Go back and read.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

NO ONE is turning their head. What is turning your head about 9k in fines and license suspension???? You are coming across pretty dense here and from reading your other posts you seem pretty intelligent. When you are YOUNGER, NOT NECESSARILY A KID BUT YOUNGER, one tends to make poor decisions. We have all done things under the age of 25 we would never dream of doing now. He screwed up, IS PAYING THE PRICE, and will hopefully learn a valuable lesson. If he returns to the hunting society "reformed" he is a much better asset than if he is banned for life. If he is like the rest of us who did stupid things at a younger age he will be wiser on the flip side.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me pose a question.

For those calling for a ban for life. Will ya'll lead the way here and send me your driver's license and never drive again BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALL SPEEDED AT SOME POINT. Be really noble here. This isn't about being in a wreck or getting caught. IT IS ABOUT DOING THE RIGHT THING. You could kill someone, speed kills. So buck up and suspend yourself for life, FOR BREAKING MOVING VIOLATION LAWS. At least turn yourselves in and take what you have coming. None of ya'll are kids so the consequences will be of no suprise.

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
But he can't walk into a bar and drink legally now can he? I guess I could say he is a young adult would that be more correct? The maturity level of most young adults does not get there until they are in their early to middle twentys and if he is still in High School for sure he is a kid. There are two reason that 18 years of age is considered an adult. One is so they can draft your ass if they need to the 2nd is so you have to pay taxes. If you where truley mature and were an adult at that age you should be able to drink and the whole argument in the USA is they are not responsible enough at that age to drink alcohol but they should be for everything else right? I am sure at 18 you never did anything dumb or Illegal and had the maturity level of a 40 year old because we are all saints now arent we. Big Grin Now that we got that out of the way no I don't agree with Poaching but I don't think he should lose the right to hunt for the rest of his life like some have said. I think the punishment fit the crime.

www.kafirearmsllc.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

NO ONE is turning their head. What is turning your head about 9k in fines and license suspension???? You are coming across pretty dense here and from reading your other posts you seem pretty intelligent. When you are YOUNGER, NOT NECESSARILY A KID BUT YOUNGER, one tends to make poor decisions. We have all done things under the age of 25 we would never dream of doing now. He screwed up, IS PAYING THE PRICE, and will hopefully learn a valuable lesson. If he returns to the hunting society "reformed" he is a much better asset than if he is banned for life. If he is like the rest of us who did stupid things at a younger age he will be wiser on the flip side.

Perry

One of the things that stand out is the poaching wasn't a spur of the moment, spontaneous act that you would associate with youth and inexperience. But rather, a contrived act, thought out, although thought out poorly. And he followed it up with a post on the internet with a bag over his head. He knew from start to finish that what he was doing was wrong.
I don't think his punishment is too heavy nor too light.
I like the idea posted that he work out his fine by working for the park service or such. Or put him in a orange jumpsuit and let him pick up trash along the highway so's his buddies could see what a big man he is. (and he wouldn't have to change clothes on the week-end to root for Alabama. I just had to throw that in Big Grin )

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
What is all the discussion over being an adult or a minor? Legally he is an adult, he was tried and sentenced as an adult.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have any pics of this deer (live or dead), if so, please post.

I sure don't. Several times when this buck along with three others, was in a barley field south of town I seen people stopped photgraphing him, usually early in the morning. There is a file photo some where regarding the poaching that has him in velvet. I will look around for it. I rarely carry a camera, and this once I wish I had.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is from the WG&F site.

one of us
posted Hide Post
News Release
4/22/2011
Cody Regional Office
WORLAND MAN SENTENCED IN TROPHY DEER CASE CODY- Eighteen-year-old Colton Lapp of Worland, WY, was charged and convicted of illegally killing a trophy mule deer buck south of Worland—his violation cost him over $9,000. Lapp pleaded guilty to the intentional and illegal taking of a trophy class mule deer before Judge Thomas Harrington, Washakie County Circuit Court on April 14, 2011. Based upon a plea agreement, Lapp was sentenced to pay $5040 in fines and $4000 in restitution to the state for the deer. Lapp also had his hunting, fishing and trapping privileges suspended for five years and is under six months probation. According to Worland game warden Matt Lentsch of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Lapp shot the large non-typical mule deer buck south of Worland on Nov. 6, 2010 in an area that was closed to hunting. Information provided by a concerned sportsman initiated the investigation “A sportsman viewing a cell phone picture of Lapp posing with the large mule deer recognized the buck as one he had seen near the Wyoming Boys School several times earlier that summer,” Lentsch said. The sportsman reported that Lapp claimed to have shot the deer near Burlington, WY during an open season. However, because he felt it was extremely unlikely the deer would have traveled nearly 70 miles, he contacted Game and Fish law enforcement officers. The subsequent investigation involving many Cody Region game wardens revealed the large mule deer buck was taken in deer hunt area 164 approximately two miles south of Worland; the area had closed to the hunting of antlered mule deer on Oct. 10, 2010,” Lentsch said.
The deer carried an impressive 8 x 9 point rack which officially scored 210 6/8 Boone and Crocket points. “This mule deer buck was one of those once-in-a-lifetime animals that most
hunters only dream of harvesting,” Lentsch said. According to Lentsch, Judge Harrington told Lapp that he stole this animal from not only legal hunters but all of the citizens of Wyoming.
Lapp was charged under Wyoming State Statue 23-3-102(d) which is commonly referred to as the winter range law. “The Wyoming legislature passed this law to strengthen the penalties and increase the deterrence for cases just like this one,” Lentsch said. The law provides penalties for fines of not less than $5000 and up to $10,000, the loss of hunting and fishing privileges of not less than five years and jail time up to one year. According to Lentsch, the law is only applied to the most serious wildlife violations involving the intentional and illegal taking of antlered or horned big game animals.
Anyone witnessing a wildlife violation can call the Stop Poaching hotline at 1-877-WGFD-TIP (in-state). Tips are most helpful with specific information such as the date, time, location and specific details about the suspected violation. Also include a physical description of the suspected violator as well as a license plate number and description of any vehicles involved in the incident.