Find
Notify
Tools

My Nosler Accubond Pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Got back on Sunday from South Texas. Had a fantastic hunt, the rut was "on" and we saw some great bucks as well as 2 bucks getting into an all out brawl, and watched 2 does get mounted. I killed 2 coyotes, a javelina, and a 5.5 year old deer Sunday morning. The deer dressed at 138 pounds. I was shooting my 280 Ackley, 140 gr Accubonds at around 3100 fps. Shot the deer broadside, on the point of the shoulder, at 133 yards. He folded on the spot as if struck by Thor's hammer. One 284 diameter hole at the shoulder and no exit nor any blood. Upon butchering the bullet entered the shoulder more forward than back, at the top of the heart, took out part of the spine, and lodged firmly in balljoint of the off-side shoulder, not under the skin. Bullet weighs 81 grains and measures .793 wide.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Very nice story and very nice buck. Where did you hunt? I was southwest of Victoria, Texas, about 20-30 miles, during the Thanksgiving week, and collected a 5.5 year old 10 pointer. It was a low fence ranch that I took a 12 pointer last year.
Good shooting!!!
Jeff in Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Near Cotulla. There are 3 tall blades of grass or weeds on the deer's shoulder and neck, the entrance hole is barely visible under the far right weed, pointing straight up its shoulder to its spine. I had to search to find it.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, I shoot a 280 rem, w/ 160 Accubonds.

Shot a decent 9 point on Nov 28th up by Fort Worth. Dropped on the spot never kicked I really like the AB's they are what the BT's should have been. Anyone tried the new E-tip bullet.

M

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
NICE buck!!! Congratulations...

I really like the 140 grain Accubond in 7mm. I've used it in cartridges with muzzle velocities from 2480 fps to 3150 fps -- and with excellent results, I might add.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gas57:
Very nice story and very nice buck. Where did you hunt? I was southwest of Victoria, Texas, about 20-30 miles, during the Thanksgiving week, and collected a 5.5 year old 10 pointer. It was a low fence ranch that I took a 12 pointer last year.
Good shooting!!!
Jeff in Texas
I was around Victoria four years ago. I didn't think anything without waterwings could survive there!

@Prewar: Personally I prefer an exit for blood to pour out of, but dead is dead. Congrats on the buck man. thumb

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that report. I recently switched from the BTs in my .280 to the Accubonds but have yet to draw blood with them. I felt comfortable that the Accubonds would surpass the BTs, but your report helps confirm that just a bit further. Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, Congrats.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Accubonds and shoot them in my 7-08 and 30-06. I have found that they preform very well in my non-magnum calibers.
Nice job on the buck!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am suprised you recovered the bullet. We shot 6 different deer with the 110 25cal accubond this fall and had similar shots and every bullet exited. Our distances varied from 89 to 215 yards.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
It went through a lot of bone is all I can figure. That and the higher velocity 3100-3150. Had dollar size exits on the coyotes and javelina.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Prewar70 Congrats on your Deer.

I shot a nice 7 point with a 30cal Accubond in my 300 win mag at 311 yards & 10" below is a link to my post. I did not recover the bullet it went in one shoulder and out the other.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/250108277

I have tried BT's but felt they blew up to much. The Accubond bullets have the same accuracy in my rifle with better performance IMHO

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote